Are there trains in this area (M-6 @ M-37)

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
danted23
Railroadfan...fan

Are there trains in this area (M-6 @ M-37)

Unread post by danted23 »

Hello,

I work close to where the Paul B. Henry freeway (M6) crosses M-37 in southern Grand Rapids and I swear, every now and then I hear a train horn that sounds REAL close! I just heard one about 15 minutes ago.

I know there are active tracks that run along the north part of the airport, and, according to a map I see some that run through Dutton down to Caledonia. Am I hearing trains up near the airport? That's the only place that I think it can be coming from....

Thanks!

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Re: Are there trains in this area (M-6 @ M-37)

Unread post by ~Z~ »

danted23 wrote:Hello,

I work close to where the Paul B. Henry freeway (M6) crosses M-37 in southern Grand Rapids and I swear, every now and then I hear a train horn that sounds REAL close! I just heard one about 15 minutes ago.

I know there are active tracks that run along the north part of the airport, and, according to a map I see some that run through Dutton down to Caledonia. Am I hearing trains up near the airport? That's the only place that I think it can be coming from....

Thanks!
You are probably hearing the line that runs along the north part of the airport. After they get past the airport, it turns more southeast at that point. At approx 8:40am when you posted this, CSX Q335 was going over the Thornapple River, so you probably heard them blowing for Whitneyville Ave or east paris. There's no crossings to blow for between Whitneyville and East Paris Ave.

The line from dutton down to caledonia is now a railtrail.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

danted23
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Are there trains in this area (M-6 @ M-37)

Unread post by danted23 »

Thank you!