Petoskey

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

Petoskey

Unread post by jimnorthwood »

While in downtown Petoskey last week I couldn't stand the thought of having to follow the spouse into yet another store, so I ducked out briefly and walked the track from its end (Arlington Park) for probably about a mile south. I know the major customer is Petoskey Plastics, which I saw on US-31 on the way home. But just south of the downtown area the track looks to get some use, too. The ties look new, and there is decent ballast. There was a big pile of what looked to be coal (i know it couldn't be coal, but it ure looked like it) with a loader sitting on top of it, close to the track. There was also a fair amount of this "coal" spilled between the tracks. Is there some sort of transload facility in use there? The area was where there is a small "yard" just south of the downtown, where the single track expands to three or so, prior to consolidating back to one track. Just south of the pile the area looked to become more industrial, so I stopped walking and turned back north. How often does this track get used, north of Petoskey Plastics? I did read of a special train that ran all the way to the GR&I depot on July 3.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Re: Petoskey

Unread post by AARR »

I believe that's where the coal from Advance Plant was loaded 5 or more years ago but it's not unheard that minerals remain visible for years after they fall to the ground
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks, Don. That makes sense. I just couldn't figure out why there would be a coal pile there. The pile is still there, with a loader sitting on top.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks, Don. That makes sense. I just couldn't figure out why there would be a coal pile there. The pile is still there, with a loader sitting on top.
Seems strange the pile and loader would still be there after all these years but it's still the only explanation I can think of.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

TCP
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TCP »

Did you get in trouble for ditching the wife? :lol:
TCP
GR MI.
Home of the NMRA National Convention in 2012
www.gr2012.org

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

Bless her heart, no I didn't. She even expressed her sympathy when I told her that I had read on this board a message that a special train had run on July 3 all the way to the former GR&I depot downtown. "I wish you could have seen it, dear," she said.