Charlotte and Southern Visitors update thread

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Larry G
Railroadfan...fan

Charlotte and Southern Visitors update thread

Unread post by Larry G »

no report
[
Last edited by Larry G on Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If I Harp at you, it is only to Spur you on!

tazer
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Charlotte and Southern Visitors...Aug 5, 2009

Unread post by tazer »

Is there a customer in Charlotte for them or did the CN just need a place to keep them for the night ?

Larry G
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Larry G »

At Potterville, about 7 miles east, there is a steel company. That is the closest customer that I can think of.

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GrandTrunkFan »

I didnt think that elevator even had a siding. I thought by the looks of it that they spotted cars on the old main line. I noticed that the bells and lights were removed and the crossing was unguarded for a long time, but now theres crossbucks in their place. Im wondering about that elevator though...

Nice catch on the coil cars!
Nick

Larry G
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Larry G »

no report
Last edited by Larry G on Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

Just a little note. It's not technically C&S. There's no "and" in the name. It's just Charlotte Southern, reporting marks CHS.

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

They did pull the lights and bells off M-50 at about the same time and put in a set of ties as a bumper just west of M-50. It looked like they were going to remove the crossing and east trackage but after a couple of months they put Cross Bucks back up and as of this writing the tracks are still in place east of M-50 to about Perkey RD,
I seen that they moved those old baggage/tool cars that were sitting near Perkey Rd and are now almost sitting on M-50. What is the deal with those? They dont look like the same kind of cars that the dinner train uses so I dont know how useful they are for parts. I think theyre ex CN tool cars or something.
Nick

Larry G
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Charlotte-Southern Visitors...Aug 5, 2009

Unread post by Larry G »

no report
Last edited by Larry G on Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

The CN baggage car was, I think, a tool car for the #3 when the railroad began operating in 1999. Back then, they kept the engine parked by the elevator. When they started running the dinner train later on, they moved the engine to the siding by the hospital with the other passenger equipment. I'm not sure if they still keep anything in that car or not...
As for the two coaches, Larry is correct. They were brought to the railroad in 2001 for use on short excursions for Frontier days and other events. They are Ex-Long Island commuter cars. I think they were only used a few times before they began using the dinner train equipment for all of their excursions.

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Gregg Pullano wrote:The CN baggage car was, I think, a tool car for the #3 when the railroad began operating in 1999. Back then, they kept the engine parked by the elevator. When they started running the dinner train later on, they moved the engine to the siding by the hospital with the other passenger equipment. I'm not sure if they still keep anything in that car or not...
As for the two coaches, Larry is correct. They were brought to the railroad in 2001 for use on short excursions for Frontier days and other events. They are Ex-Long Island commuter cars. I think they were only used a few times before they began using the dinner train equipment for all of their excursions.
Wow thanks for the info. I always figured they were just for parts. I didnt know they were all used. Although it wouldnt suprise me if there still is tools in it. I dont think that little GE gets taken down to Adrian that much for work.
Nick

CamasChris
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CamasChris »

[/quote]

Wow thanks for the info. I always figured they were just for parts. I didnt know they were all used. Although it wouldnt suprise me if there still is tools in it. I dont think that little GE gets taken down to Adrian that much for work.[/quote]
None of the locos in the "ADBF System" get taken to Adrian. They are all serviced on the lines they work. The red tool car is a RPO, and sorry no tools in it. The line never made much when I worked for the A&B may as well use the track for storage. Better then ripping it up.

Larry G
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Larry G »

I will look for some old pics that I have of the last days of Conrail on these tracks and GTW upgrading for service in 76-77. When I find them I will scan and post.
Last edited by Larry G on Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

I will look for some old pics that I have of the last days of Conrail on these tracks and GTW upgrading for service in 76-77. When I find them I will scan and post.
Pleast post anything you have on this line from GR, Middleville, Hastings, Charlotte, and Eaton Rapids!
Nick

Larry G
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Larry G »

Pleast post anything you have on this line from GR, Middleville, Hastings, Charlotte, and Eaton Rapids![/quote]

After reading your post earlier tonight it gave me the shot to go and dig into a box of old photos and I did come across them. I appologize for the quality in advance for in those days this poor rail fan was using a Kodak 110 Instamatic Camera but the photos have held up well considering they are now 33 years old. I will start scanning them Saturday and it may take awhile to complete. Basically they are from Feb, Mar, and April 1976. PC was on the way out in Feb and Mar and I shot a couple of the last trains east bound in the old MC yard by the hospital in Charlotte and out by the mill at M-50. On April 1, 1976 GTW took over the portion of the line that remains today in use by CHS. I caught a couple of the first trains moving off the GTW main on the interchange track that existed through Johnson's Wood Products at this time and then crossing on the diamond over the GTW main to use the former PC line while they switched the mill out on M-50.. Also a few pics of the Section Crew doing massive tie replacement after GTW took it over. Finally a couple of shots of the Thornapple River trestle off Shaytown Rd with the MC/PC tracks still in place. As of last year trestle still remains and is an easy hike to photograph. Look for the pictures to start showing up over the next few days. I will post the album link here when finished.
Larry

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks Larry, it will be greatly appreciated! :D
Nick

Larry G
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Larry G »

GrandTrunkFan wrote:Thanks Larry, it will be greatly appreciated! :D
Glad to do it!!! Well start tomorrow! :D
If you can get a copy of Classic Trains, Winter 2002 there is a two page picture article "One Day at ..Charlotte, Michigan" from 1954. 4 great color shots of the MC and GTW working that day. Steam at work on both RRs!!!

mikerm19
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mikerm19 »

Thats pretty cool. Any of that old stuff is greatly appreciated by me, and others. Thank you in advanced! :D
Mike
http://www.mitrain.net Come see us!

GTWFRED
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWFRED »

Larry G wrote: Finally a couple of shots of the Thornapple River trestle off Shaytown Rd with the MC/PC tracks still in place. As of last year trestle still remains and is an easy hike to photograph.
Nice to hear the old trestle is still there, I was there about 10 years ago, I loved hiking that old grade! There is still a couple of old telegraph poles still in place in Vermontville on the old grade, but time has taken it's toll. Any chance you got any photos of the short lived Kent-Barry-Eaton connecting railway? Amazing how few photos there are of that grade, in that area! Looking forward to the photos!
Fred

Larry G
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Larry G »

I have scanned these old photos and posted descriptions from notes on the back and memory. I think these old 110 photos scanned well and the colors came through.

A couple of digital shots of the old Thornapple Trestle are included so you can compare with the views of 33 years ago......Go and investigate in fall or spring when there are no bugs.

Looking back now, it is very regretable that a Rails to Trails did not arise from the ashes of the PC wreck here. Many short sighted people, many others who wanted the land, some fearful of crime and outsiders blocked the move to turn it into a recreational trail. It is too bad, as this trail from Jackson to Grand Rapids, would be a neat resource today. I understand that there is a burried micorfibre communication cable that is still in the ground and follows the old grade.

Hope you all enjoy them. Please let me know and I will try to answer any questions that you may have.

http://railroadfan.com/gallery/thumbnai ... album=1348 Charlotte Scans Gallery

Larry
Last edited by Larry G on Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

tazer
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by tazer »

Thanks ! Those are great. Pictures like that show the everyday realism of the trains , people and places.
Very nice