30,000 TIES

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
A No.1
To Portland

30,000 TIES

Unread post by A No.1 »

CN Battle Creek Yard set to have 30,000 new ties put in. The new ties are located at various places in the yard.

At least CN is putting some money into Battle Creek again.
Mark it Zero.

jukeman45
Railroadfan...fan

Re: 30,000 TIES

Unread post by jukeman45 »

Gotta have lotsa ties to hold up all those storage cars :?

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

What do railroads do with all those old ties?

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

milineamtrak wrote:What do railroads do with all those old ties?
On CSX, the 'good' ties get bundled up by a contractor, shipped out, and used as landscape timbers (amongst other things). I'm sure some get resold to contractors to 'relay' ties if they are in good enough shape. Pretty amazing to watch the guy in a bobcat taking a stack of ties, and flipping the bad ones out of the stack. The really bad ties are put in scrap tie gons (or hoppers) and are sold to a firm in the Carolina's who chop them up, and use them as fuel in a power plant.

Practice Safe CSX

KC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC »

When M-DOT / Lake State rebuilt the line from Grayling to Gaylord, old ties were stacked up and then contractor came in and chipped them up.
Here are 4 photos of chipping machine near Frederic-Waters in October of 2004.

Once chipped, would load wood into semi-trailers and haul away, not sure for what purpose.

Kelly
"I feel like an old railroad man
...and I know I can walk along the tracks,
It may take a little longer but I'll know
how to find my way back"

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Possibly to burn at one of the local utility plants, KC.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

David Lang
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by David Lang »

So getting back to the topic of new ties for the Battle Creek yard - I have a question/comment.

Either the ties in the yard are so bad they have to be replaced...OR maybe there is some hope and future for the Battle Creek Yard beyond the little use it has seen in recent years compared with in years past. Does anyone know? I thought once CN got the EJ&E, there was almost certain word from a CN employee I know and other credible sources, that the Battle Creek yard would no longer be needed (for large scale switching and classification) because everything would be done in Chicago now (Kirk Yard?)

Regardless though, good to hear some investment is being done in Battle Creek.

David Lang

A No.1
To Portland

Unread post by A No.1 »

Battle Creek Yard TIE PROGRAM starts today.

Brandt Truck and Tie gangs are starting in the West yard. Sounds like One and Two West.
Mark it Zero.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

David Lang wrote:I thought once CN got the EJ&E, there was almost certain word from a CN employee I know and other credible sources, that the Battle Creek yard would no longer be needed (for large scale switching and classification) because everything would be done in Chicago now (Kirk Yard?)
CN has added a few inter-division locals to handle on-line customers. Mostly the movement of empty auto racks to loading docks. IMO CN would never have done this is EEH was still in charge.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

CharlieX90
Back from "Vacation"

Unread post by CharlieX90 »

Saw them working in the yard this morning..Front end loader with forks was moving old ties

A No.1
To Portland

Unread post by A No.1 »

CharlieX90 wrote:Saw them working in the yard this morning..Front end loader with forks was moving old ties
you never call.
Mark it Zero.

CharlieX90
Back from "Vacation"

Unread post by CharlieX90 »

JUST AARON wrote:
CharlieX90 wrote:Saw them working in the yard this morning..Front end loader with forks was moving old ties
you never call.
I dont have a cell phone..it was a last minute thing on the way home.only stopped for about 20 mins

i should be back out there in the next few weeks though :D