Detroit Line doings

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Detroit Line doings

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

It will be a little easier to get a clear shot at the trains on the Detroit line because Conrail has been clearing the trees and weeds all the way from YD to points south. This is in preperation for the OCS that will run on Friday the 25th. The train will depart Sterling yard at 0830 and arrive at the Trenton Power plant at 1015. They will then back thru the power plant and head north on #2 track. At YD they will head up the Junction yard running track to Townline and from there they will back down the Michigan line to Livernois yard where the VIP's will stop for lunch. After lunch the will head south on the Detroit line to Delray for the Lincoln Secondary all the way to Carleton.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Detroit Line doings

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

Got lucky and saw them at Sterling today without knowing they would be there. Talked with a conrail worker who just got of the job and said it would be leaving out in the morning. Took these pictures.

j32885
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by j32885 »

Thanks for the heads up! :)

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Going to try to get'em in Wyandotte / Oak st. or Trenton / West rd. bridge going south.

j32885
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by j32885 »

I was thinking Delray or Waterman. Wyandotte at Oak St. is always cool.

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

NS 5646 departed from Sterling at 08:20. The business cars are the Pennsylvania and Buena Vista.

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Just starting the second leg of the tour. Detroit line to Lincoln secondary.

j32885
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by j32885 »

I missed it going south on the LSMS, and instead ended up at Oak St. in Wyandotte getting it going north on the #2 track.

Norfolk Southern (Office Car Special), 06-25-2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmogN6W6Sv0

Enjoy! 8)

Latest report is that it was sitting on the MC along John Kronk in Detroit @ Livernois YD getting ready to go south on the PENN Secondary. Will head down to Carleton and back the Detroit.

msurailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by msurailfan »

Arright guys this is a major noob question and I'm fully expecting to be flamed for this, but what exactly is the purpose of this train?

Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Fred »

It is the Board of Directors Train, various board members from the NS, CSXT, and Conrail viewing the railroad and discussing future developement such as the Marathon expansion in Melvindale and the future of Chrysler as it pertains to business for conrail.. This train operates over the Detroit Division one year, the South Jersey Division one year and the North Jersey one year so we should see it again in 2013.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Hasn't anyone noticed that NS seems to be using all of their equipment for the Conrail SA and CSX doesn't seem to contribute much besides a crew? You'll never see 2 CSX OCS cars on the Lincoln Secondary.

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

I think it was 2005/06 that the CSX used their equipment for the OCS. I'll go and see where I put the pictures.

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

WOW, how time flies ! It was 2003 that the CSX provided the equipment for the Conrail OCS. Here are two photos, one location easy to guess. But the second ? Not too hard. http://railroadfan.com/gallery/displayi ... pos=-60631 http://railroadfan.com/gallery/displayi ... pos=-60632

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

First is Oakwood Juunction. What do I win? :lol:
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Close..........but the other end of the yard. Just for trying, i'll send you a coupon good for one free internet ! :D :D :D

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

First photo is from the Fort Street bridge.

Second photo is at Milwaukee Junction.

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Right on the money, GTW6401. I was the backup conductor for that train, their first choice was sick a couple of days before the trip. Sure glad he got better. :wink:

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

I got hassled on the Fort Street bridge last summer by some rent a cops from Marathon Oil. Gave me the usual "since 9/11 yada yada"!
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

The Fort st. overpass has always been a favorite spot of mine. I think anyone who has ever hungout there for any amount of time has been hasseled by the rent-a-cops from Marathon even when they have NO authority outside of Marathon property.

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

I also have dealt with the Marathon rent-a-cops, which I felt was borderline harassment. This happened back in 2007, in which they wanted my ID and would have to file a report with Marathon to document they talked to me.

I know I would be a pain for them now that Ive been participating in this hobby a few years longer. They aren't police officers and I have no legal right to show them any forms of ID, since they are a private citizens, just like me.

With the Fort Street bridge closed now for rebuilding it should create less problems for railfans during the next year.