very interesting GLC train

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Rick in TC
Railroadfan...fan

very interesting GLC train

Unread post by Rick in TC »

In Clare, the two lease units brought north about 30+ LP tankers, and at least 3 or more lumber cars headed up north to I imagine TC?

KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

Re: very interesting GLC train

Unread post by KVERBERK »

There was also talk of more traffic near kalkaska. Could that be it?
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

I'd love to see the natural gas refinery south of Kalkaska develop the sort of business they originally anticipated back in the late 1970's. Did you know that refinery has 10 spots for loading LPG cars?

In the MIGN days they'd switch it 3-5 days a week handling a couple or so cars at a time. They'd run a local from Cadillac in the late evening hours to switch the industries around Kalkaska including the refinery. Until the track into the refinery was built they were loading LPG cars from a team track at Walton Jct. Once every week or two that local would detour to Traverse City with a carload of feed to switch the only customer MIGN had in Traverse City (that is until they picked up the ex C&O track around 1982ish).

In the late MIGN/early TSBY days I've seen pictures of 3-car blocks of NGL heading toward Alma and later 6-car blocks (these blocks were interchanged with MMRR for the refinery in Alma). My understnading is these cars got the refinery through the weekends but during the week trucks handled the NGL. I don't know why the trucks wouldn't handle the weekend needs of the refinery. But, the people who have told me this tend to know what they're talking about.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

I remember MIGN receiving and returning blocks of 20+ LPG cars to/from the C&O at Reed City, so there must have been a little bit of business coming out of that place

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Buster Manning wrote:I remember MIGN receiving and returning blocks of 20+ LPG cars to/from the C&O at Reed City, so there must have been a little bit of business coming out of that place
I don't have actual counts and am passing along a former MIGN employee memory of business from the refinery.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MIGN-Todd
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MIGN-Todd »

I hope they were bound for Kalkaskastan (LPG). Any extra railservice up here is a welcome thing even if it's not to TC but- those lumber cars could be coming to Bates. They are still missing alot of stock at Amerhart.
U.S.Army Retired- under new management (see wife)

KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KVERBERK »

I was in Cadillac today and there was no sign of the 30+ tank cars that were spotted enroute from Clare. Does anyone know where they ended up going? 389 was parked by the engine house still coupled to the two lumber cars from TC. 385 was tucked in next to the engine house and the yard was full of sand cars and a few coke cars. The north yard had a few plastics hoppers waiting to go north and a bunch of assorted cars in storage.

Kyle
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

I seen a tanker on a spur just south of Co Road 612 today in Kalkaska.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

milineamtrak wrote:I seen a tanker on a spur just south of Co Road 612 today in Kalkaska.
It'd be cool if this was one of those LPG's but it's probably one of the methanol tank cars that delivers to the drilling industry for Magnum Solvents.

rustbeltrailroad
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rustbeltrailroad »

Are there any pics of the refinery in Alma? where is/was it in alma? If anybody has any info that would be awesome.
thanks

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

rustbeltrailroad wrote:Are there any pics of the refinery in Alma? where is/was it in alma? If anybody has any info that would be awesome.
thanks

IIRC it was in a area of a triangle with Bus. 127 on the south, and N Jerome Rd. on the east, with the MMRR cutting across at a angle from north east to south west on the north side of the place. It was torn down quite a few years ago.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

The last time I recall the refinery in operation was in the early -mid 1990's. I used to go to a swim meet at Alma High School as late as 1994 and I think it was still in operation then.

IIRC a lot of the traffic from the refinery was jet fuel going to the AF or ANG base on the D&M / LSRC. When that got closed the refinery was no longer required for the jet fuel so it was shuttered then torn down.

Does the asphalt place still operate out of the refinery property?

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

chapmaja wrote:The last time I recall the refinery in operation was in the early -mid 1990's. I used to go to a swim meet at Alma High School as late as 1994 and I think it was still in operation then.

IIRC a lot of the traffic from the refinery was jet fuel going to the AF or ANG base on the D&M / LSRC. When that got closed the refinery was no longer required for the jet fuel so it was shuttered then torn down.

Does the asphalt place still operate out of the refinery property?
Refinery closed 1999. Jet Fuel to Oscoda stopped around 1992-93.

TSBY delivered natural gas liquified to Alma from Kalkaska. Competiton with trucks caused volume to go up and down. I hear that most of the time trucks handled weekday supply and railroad delivered weekend supply (3-6 cars a week or so).

Terry Materials has place across from old refinery. Unless somethings changed they get 250ish cars per year most around this time of year when they're stocking up. Typical block is 13 cars but can be smaller or bigger depending on factors.

pbmaxno15
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pbmaxno15 »

The link below has a view of the old refinery site from the north. Jerome Rd is to the east(left) and Superior St./Lincoln Rd. is to the south(top).
http://www.mandmenergy.com/

pbmaxno15
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pbmaxno15 »

http://204.117.120.215/gratiotweb/rma/G ... ewer.html#

While I was looking for pictures of the refinery, I found this link on the City of Alma website. When I searched Amalgam llc webmapping, Isabella and Midland Counties also came up. For most of the properties,railroad companies included, taxable values, lot size, and sale information are provided, including Terry Materials, Padnos, and the former refinery site. MMRR enginehouse in Alma is still listed as C&O.

rustbeltrailroad
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rustbeltrailroad »

Thanks sd70accsxt700, that is helpful. And also thanks for that cool Gratiot Co. map pbmaxno15!!!