Jackson-Lansing Railroad

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
KenB
Railroadfan...fan

Jackson-Lansing Railroad

Unread post by KenB »

Heard that this railroad is to start-up on Oct 01, 2010. Will operate the NS Lansing branch from Jackson to Lansing, Mich. Affilated with Adrain & Blissfield.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Jackson-Lansing Railroad

Unread post by AARR »

ADBF has a good track record of building up traffic on its lines and having popular excursion trains. Jackson to Lansing is great opportunity for them to do both. I hope the rumor is true, and suspect it may be.

Next, I'd like to see them go after CSX's West Detroit Branch and CR's Detroit Terminal West. They did a good job with GTW's Rat Line so maybe they can prop up those two lines too.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Larry G
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Larry G »

What are the chances they put the CHS Dinner Train on this route, anyone else have a thought about that?
"If I Harp at you, it is only to Spur you on!

Clay320
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Clay320 »

Anyone know what power they are going to use on the line?

Bentrail
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bentrail »

Did ADBF lease the line or buy it?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I believe ADBF has a few spare GP9's somewhere on its ADBF line. Came from east coast IIRC.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Clay320
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Clay320 »

AARR wrote:I believe ADBF has a few spare GP9's somewhere on its ADBF line. Came from east coast IIRC.
There are 5 GP9s on the A&B line, although they probably can't do with less than 3 there. And 2 isnt going to be enough for the J&L line. I might be wrong but I don't think there are any other ADBF locos anywhere else that aren't being used.

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GrandTrunkFan »

Clay320 wrote:
AARR wrote:I believe ADBF has a few spare GP9's somewhere on its ADBF line. Came from east coast IIRC.
There are 5 GP9s on the A&B line, although they probably can't do with less than 3 there. And 2 isnt going to be enough for the J&L line. I might be wrong but I don't think there are any other ADBF locos anywhere else that aren't being used.
Well like Larry said, they could bring th dinner train to that line insted, so theyd have CHS #3 to use. Its not much but its better than just having a pair of GPs.
Nick

GTWFRED
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWFRED »

ADBF should do all right getting customers, god knows NS tried their hardest to drive 'em away!

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Well, if ABDF wanst to run a shortline with GP7/9's I will prolly start prowling around the area. Not too many Michigan Railroads have High Hood early model geeps on their freight trains. Hats off to the ABDF.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

TrainWatcher wrote:Well, if ABDF wanst to run a shortline with GP7/9's I will prolly start prowling around the area. Not too many Michigan Railroads have High Hood early model geeps on their freight trains. Hats off to the ABDF.
They already do, it's called the Adrian & Blissfield. Do you "prowl" over there?
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Jon I have to say not yet. I've been meaning to go Fossil Hunt from Lenawee Junction and around Monroe area. But the Current ABDF set-up is smaller than this.

Now PLEASE correct me if I am wrong, but is this line the NS Lansing Secondary?

OwlCaboose2853
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OwlCaboose2853 »

TrainWatcher wrote:Jon I have to say not yet. I've been meaning to go Fossil Hunt from Lenawee Junction and around Monroe area. But the Current ABDF set-up is smaller than this.
Look link - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrian_and ... _Rail_Road
Now PLEASE correct me if I am wrong, but is this line the NS Lansing Secondary?
YES, correct
Amtrak Wolverines
NS Michigan Lines
Ann Arbor RR
The Monorail Society

Steven R. Williams

tyler_phillips
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by tyler_phillips »

Is there many customrs on that line, or is it more of a "connecting" line between main lines in Jackson & Lansing?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

tyler_phillips wrote:Is there many customrs on that line, or is it more of a "connecting" line between main lines in Jackson & Lansing?
I have the list at home (compliments of Hogger1225 and Rail Cannon). If no one else responds I'll post it later. Seems like there's around 10ish customers with the steel distribution center in Holt the largest.

GTWFRED
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWFRED »

tyler_phillips wrote:Is there many customrs on that line, or is it more of a "connecting" line between main lines in Jackson & Lansing?
The potential for more customers is probably double, or more. NS did their best to drive as many of them away as they could. I think an aggressive customer hungry/friendly RR could do all right.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

Indiana Northeastern is based out of Hillsdale and has plenty of classic power as well, Gp30's, GP7's, and GP9's.

First shot is at the Indiana/Ohio State Line, Second is at Fremont Indiana but this train originated in Hillsdale.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31625123@N ... 204283799/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31625123@N ... 4204283799
Couple of the ADBF as well.

AC60CW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AC60CW »

They will have to run partly down the NS line to the yard I would imagine. I always enjoyed watching the train run by the Toy House there in Jackson. Some what of a grade for them to go down also as I remember growing up really close to the tracks.
Avatar image use with permission of Elmo Bass http://elmo.rrpicturearchives.net/

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Leslie – Mason Elevator: Don't think they've shipped in a while
Mason – North Pacific: inbound lumber
Mason – National Gypsum: inbound wallboard
Mason – Michigan Packaging: inbound medium (cardboard or paper)
Mason – Mason Elevator: Don't think they've shipped in a while
Mason – Americhem: inbound chemicals
Mason – Capital Excavating & Paving: Don't think they've shipped in a while. Handled some coal for MSU a while back.
Holt – Regional Steel Distribution Center: inbound steel flat rolls (largest shipper)
Holt – Capital Drywall: inbound drywall

On Lansing Industrial Track Quality Dairy receives plastic pellets and some machining company gets a few carloads of equipment annually.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

Just because they have a spur, don't automatically expect things to change once the ownership changes. It also depends on if the prospective customer customer(s) can get rail via a routing that is accessible. Had an example of that at work last week. A wholesaler in New Mexico wanted to have some of our building products shipped in via rail to their warehouse from our production plant in Western Illinois to lower cost compared to the usual truck transportation. Our logistics department did some checking - and found that they couldn't use rail because it wasn't on a service lane that they had access to. (My guess is that a single carrier routing could not be lined up between the two facilities)
GTWFRED wrote:
The potential for more customers is probably double, or more. NS did their best to drive as many of them away as they could. I think an aggressive customer hungry/friendly RR could do all right.