A Marquette Minor Derailment last week

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
C&O6088
Railroadfan...fan

A Marquette Minor Derailment last week

Unread post by C&O6088 »

Saw this in today's Fremont Times-Indicator (Newaygo County).

C&O
--------------------------------------------------------
Train cars derail near Woodland Park

A freight train derailment last week caused some concern in a northern Newaygo County neighborhood, but county emergency officials say that nothing dangerous was spilled and nobody was injured.

On Thursday, Sept. 2, just after 7 p.m., Newaygo County Central Dispatch received several calls reporting that the last two railcars of a northbound train had derailed as the train was traveling northbound across 11 Mile Road in Merrill Township near Woodland Park.

Newaygo County Central Dispatch immediately contacted Marquette Railroad to notify the train driver to stop. Central Dispatch also contacted Lilley Fire Department and Newaygo County Emergency Services.

“Central Dispatch handled the incident flawlessly,” said Lilley Fire Department Interim Fire Chief Scott DeBruyne. “They were able to provide us with all of the information we needed in a timely manner.”

The front end of the train traveled past 12 Mile Road before it was able to stop. Lilley Fire Department established incident command and quickly coordinated with the train operator to assess the situation and determine if the train was carrying any hazardous materials.

“We are fortunate that Marquette Railroad no longer transports extremely hazardous materials,” said Newaygo County Emergency Services Director Abby Marek. “No one was injured and no one had to be evacuated. This incident would have had a very different outcome if Dow Chemical’s ‘bomb train’ was still running through the community.”

Chemicals spilled from a derailment in the same area in February of 1978. That spill still causes concern in the area, according to Sharon Jones, who lives in the neighborhood. With memories of the 1978 derailment in mind, Jones said that she and other local residents were not happy that they had received no official word about the Sept. 2 incident for more than a week.

“We’re not happy about the fact that this was kept so hush-hush,” Jones said. “We could see the cars sitting there, and the track was really torn up.”

DeBruyne confirmed that the train was not carrying any toxic chemicals.

“Thank goodness the two derailed train cars were carrying lime,” DeBruyne said. “They stayed upright and did not spill anything. This was a great learning experience and I feel more confident in the event of a future incident we will be able to handle it very well.”

Marek, who organizes emergency action drills as part of her job, applauded the work of the local emergency responders who handled the situation.

“Everyone worked very well together during this incident,” Marek said. “All the time and effort we have put into emergency planning, training and exercises has provided us with the knowledge to handle unique incidents, such as the train derailment, with ease. I am so fortunate to be a part of the amazing team of first responders we have here in Newaygo County.”

After the incident, Marquette Rail shut-down the rail line and had to replace 1.5 miles of track. The rail line reopened on Wednesday, Sept. 8. Over the next few weeks, local people can expect to see more trains running through the area as Marquette Rail attempts to get back on schedule.

muskegonrr
Railroadfan...fan

Re: A Marquette Minor Derailment last week

Unread post by muskegonrr »

By reading the article it sounds like the Newaygo County Central Dispatch folks have an elected position. What a bunch of PR bull-crap. Take this story with a grain of salt.
Wooooooo Woooooooo

AveryRdhouse
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AveryRdhouse »

Ya. They acted so professionally. The guy that came up to the engine, looked like his pants were full. What do I do? Who do I talk to, the train driver? Ah, Hey buddy.... all the action is 105 cars back there!
Bill

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Unread post by trnwatcher »

AveryRdhouse wrote:Ya. They acted so professionally. The guy that came up to the engine, looked like his pants were full. What do I do? Who do I talk to, the train driver? Ah, Hey buddy.... all the action is 105 cars back there!
I would have figured that since 9/11/01 that these hazmat responce teams would have some sort of idea what is being transported through their jurisdications. It sounds from the article that someone up there in Newaygo Co. automatically jumped to the conclusion that they might be facing another mess like they had back in 1978. Heard that the "track gang" had a fun week end there over Labor Day. Oh well, the mighty Marquette is back running that's all that matters.
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

trnwatcher wrote:I would have figured that since 9/11/01 that these hazmat responce teams would have some sort of idea what is being transported through their jurisdications. It sounds from the article that someone up there in Newaygo Co. automatically jumped to the conclusion that they might be facing another mess like they had back in 1978.
I'm afraid not. Until the first responder can put the binoculars on the rail car or truck trailer, they have to assume it's hazardous. No placard is a good sign :) . Until they can look at the manifest and the paperwork, they don't know what they are dealing with. Rural township - one has to assume they only have very basic hazmat training and no hazmat equipment. This is also the township that CSX dumped the nasty cars in 1978 and it is still contaminated 32 years later.

FireCaptain 1214
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by FireCaptain 1214 »

Well said Raildudes Dad.We are trained to make contact with the person in charge,in this case the train operator.The first person on scene my have been new and a little overwhelmed,hard to say.Butt everybody knows how to do our job when they need us.

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

I'm afraid not. Until the first responder can put the binoculars on the rail car or truck trailer, they have to assume it's hazardous. No placard is a good sign :) . Until they can look at the manifest and the paperwork, they don't know what they are dealing with. Rural township - one has to assume they only have very basic hazmat training and no hazmat equipment. This is also the township that CSX dumped the nasty cars in 1978 and it is still contaminated 32 years later.
Very well said RDD. Most of the time first responders have no clue what they are getting into till they arrive at the scene. For trains, they are not sent a manifest in advance, and who knows what is on their highways?

That said, I find today's reporters terribly uninformed. They are supposed to be 'journalists', but report a ton of speculation. Disregard the facts and print what sells. It reminds me of the phrase TV news producers use. "If it bleeds, it leads" "No hazardous materials were involved" seems to be one of their favorite phrases.

I just wish they would report facts, and leave speculation and other sensational garbage out of their reports.

Off my soapbox.
Norm