Traverse City track work

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Rick in TC
Railroadfan...fan

Traverse City track work

Unread post by Rick in TC »

Always a good sign to see track equipment and workers in Traverse City working on the really bad section along Keystone by the animal pound and Goodwill Inn areas. There was a large old, old, old high rail dump truck (looked like a ballast truck), and some odd-looking no-idea-what-they-are track machines on the rails, along with several yellow men. Well, yellow because of rain gear. All the rail that was laying along the tracks to be installed back in the TSBY days is missing (I presume installed, since there is a new pile of the old light weight rail).

Rick in TC
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Traverse City track work

Armond Cassil (or somehting like that) is the contractor working in TC. Ballast and rail so far from what I can see. Equipment working between the tunnels and north.

Don, you have disappointed me- no irrelevent posts on this subject? You'll never achieve 1 million posts if you keep this up.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Rick in TC wrote:Don, you have disappointed me- no irrelevent posts on this subject? You'll never achieve 1 million posts if you keep this up.
I'm trying to get a handle of the operations on the TC Branch. TC Brent and John haven't posted in a while so I'm in the dark so to speak. Someone posted a picture the other day of an engine returning to Cadillac with two empty centerbeams and I've read one report where they received three at one time shortly after the new place opened. In their best days when SS&S operated it, TC John reported they'd get service several times a week receiving up to 5 cars per week. But since the economy tanked they were down to about a car a week or so. Keep your reports coming Rick and I'll let Don know he disappointed you :wink:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Rick in TC
Railroadfan...fan

I know John from back in the GT Dinner Train days (he was a mechanic). Last I talked a couple months ago he was moving to Livonia (where he was from). I have seen a train once a few weeks ago, it was two center beam loads and a RailBox. Looks like the have been doinf pretty good business since the new lumber company opened in the old NorPac site. Only a high railer down the Grawn branch last week.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Rick in TC wrote:I know John from back in the GT Dinner Train days (he was a mechanic). Last I talked a couple months ago he was moving to Livonia (where he was from). I have seen a train once a few weeks ago, it was two center beam loads and a RailBox. Looks like the have been doinf pretty good business since the new lumber company opened in the old NorPac site. Only a high railer down the Grawn branch last week.
I hope John checks in again. There's a few of us in the Livonia / Plymouth area that meet for lucnh once in a while near CSX Saginaw Sub in Plymouth. He'd fit in.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Rick in TC
Railroadfan...fan

He is who actually told me about this site earlier this year. I've been reading before I started posting every now and then. Have talked to the CEO of a well know railroad every now and then also. And it' sinteresting to read the rumors that are totally untrue after talking to said CEO. LOL. I'll post what I observe (except speeds, crews, etc, etc), but like train reports, trackwork, that sort of stuff. I just don't see much of it during the day, so you won't see too many reports from me.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Rick in TC wrote:He is who actually told me about this site earlier this year. I've been reading before I started posting every now and then. Have talked to the CEO of a well know railroad every now and then also. And it' sinteresting to read the rumors that are totally untrue after talking to said CEO. LOL. I'll post what I observe (except speeds, crews, etc, etc), but like train reports, trackwork, that sort of stuff. I just don't see much of it during the day, so you won't see too many reports from me.
The CEO at xxxx is appreciatively and suprisingly accessible. I suppose that would end if people contacting him got out of hand. I've picked up a lot of info directly from him but it's funny how he's not always spot-on accurate :lol:. I think he gets excited about projects a little ahead of their time and makes projections that are not sustainable. But as Flo from Progressive Insurance says, It happens to me all the time". :oops:

Rick in TC
Railroadfan...fan

Yep, I agree AARR. I'm just spkaeing of the RA/GLC rumor- way out there in left field expecially when a CEO knows nothing about it, LOL. GLC392 put that one to rest though.

MIGN-Todd
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MIGN-Todd »

Out running around today for work and I spied a large pile of bad ties on Five mile road in Traverse along with a operating tie shear and tie crane. 30 minutes later they were at Bunker Hill heading east towards Williamsburg. Had about a half dozen workers with them. Haven't seen much maintenance performed on this stretch in a number of years.
U.S.Army Retired- under new management (see wife)

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Are the cars still stored in Boardman Yard?

MIGN-Todd
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MIGN-Todd »

Yes they are. Haven't been anymore dropped off nor taken away. Just their weight increasing with the added graffitti....they might look bad but, I remember clearly the days when that yard was pretty full so any cars there stored or otherwise is a wonderful thing...
U.S.Army Retired- under new management (see wife)

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

Regarding the RA-GLC Discussions. It would not shock me if there have been some dicussions between the GLC and RA regarding the trackage between Durand and Ann Arbor, if the reports of the AA to RA are in fact true.

I think RA would at least want to see about trackage rights to connect the two segments if they get the AA.

One of the reasons is the potential for grain traffic from the thumb to NS in Toledo. Trackage rights over the south end of the GLC would be very beneficial to RA to connect the IORY/AA and HESR if they are going to try to fight for some of the grain traffic, which mainly appears to go to CSX as far as I can tell.

I think there are still a lot of possibilities the CEO's aren't mentioning right now.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

chapmaja wrote:Regarding the RA-GLC Discussions. It would not shock me if there have been some dicussions between the GLC and RA regarding the trackage between Durand and Ann Arbor, if the reports of the AA to RA are in fact true.

I think RA would at least want to see about trackage rights to connect the two segments if they get the AA.

One of the reasons is the potential for grain traffic from the thumb to NS in Toledo. Trackage rights over the south end of the GLC would be very beneficial to RA to connect the IORY/AA and HESR if they are going to try to fight for some of the grain traffic, which mainly appears to go to CSX as far as I can tell.

I think there are still a lot of possibilities the CEO's aren't mentioning right now.
From what I hear there's no way GLC will sell to RA.

So watch what happens now...us railfans think RA will buy AA so AA will keep their independence while GLC sells to RA :lol:

As far as the grain traffic out of the thumb it's also my opinion that RA could gain a nice longer haul if they acquired AA and GLC. It's my understanding the fewer railroads participate in the haul the more financially beneficial it is.