Stored Cars in TC (NIMBY!)

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
TCBrent
Railroadfan...fan

Stored Cars in TC (NIMBY!)

Unread post by TCBrent »

It's about time! (sarcasm)

http://record-eagle.com/local/x67553285 ... -residents

-TC Brent
Last edited by TCBrent on Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Re: Stored Cars in TC (NIMBY!)

Unread post by trnwatcher »

I hope these people spend tons of money trying to fight this. Time after time courts have upheld the RR's right to use sidings and embargoed lines for car storage. After all the residents can always build a fence if they dont want to see what is behind them...IMHO.
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

I LOVE IT ! when people build next to a ____________ and then complain about the ___________. This goes for airports, freeways, factories, railroads, etc, etc. WILL people EVER learn ? My guess , NO ! But it's entertainment anyways. :D

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Communities don't embrace trains like they once did. TSBY and now GLC has made many very strong efforts to get more customers in Traverse City. Places like Cherry Growers, Rifkin, and Sarah Lee are big enough to beneift from rail service but they don't want it and don't care if the railroad tracks go away.

Some say that if the tracks go away they'll never get big business but that's not true. I continue to be astounded at the big plants that don't use direct rail service. I believe intermodal and transloads are contributing to this attitude.

Thankfully some of you are getting pictures and documenting train activities because many traditional shortlines will be going away in the future.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

M.D.Bentley wrote:I LOVE IT ! when people build next to a ____________ and then complain about the ___________. This goes for airports, freeways, factories, railroads, etc, etc. WILL people EVER learn ? My guess , NO ! But it's entertainment anyways. :D
M.D.

Right you are indeed, and NOPE, they ain't never gonna change.

Until the roads were improved and automobile transportation became a way of life the railroads were a great mode of transportation. They moved many military passengers during WWII. Then the cars took passengers from the rail simply because the latter offered more freedom.

Sixty years later we have the NIMBY's, and they have become a formidable force. I lived very close to Pontiac airport most of my life and never complained about the noise.
Norm

slwapprslw
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by slwapprslw »

You gotta love these idiots. These so called 'abandoned cars' are being stored and paid for by the owners. Maybe these Nimby's should move to Montana and buy land out in the back 40. Then rail cars and everything else won't be a problem.
Cass Telles
"Slow-Approach-Slow" - 'Go by way of the B&O'
My photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ctelles/

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

Those people are idiots. Were the tracks there before you moved in??? I would say they were, now shut up and quit yer whining.

Rick in TC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Rick in TC »

the cars are all GLC-owned cars. I have to wonder if they were placed there to tick someone off in the first place. North yard in Cadillac if more than half empty, plenty of room there for storage, and sidings in Manton, Summit City, etc but they had to put them in front of the condos in TC. I think that's fine- the condos were buit in the last 10 years (and more under construction), and you MUST drive over railroad tracks to get to them (so the people knew there were tracks there when they were looking to buy a condo).

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Rick in TC wrote:I have to wonder if they were placed there to tick someone off in the first place.
Maybe someone important from Cherry Growers lives there :lol: .

I'd be surprised if they were placed there to make the locals angry. GLC doesn't seem like that kind of railroad. But I can understand why one might think that when there seems to be other places they could store them. But on the other hand, IIRC, when they placed the bi-levels at the end of Grawn they were vandalized so maybe they are putting them in a more populated area to reduce risk of vandalism :?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Rick in TC
Railroadfan...fan

AARR, the commuter cars were NOT touched at all in Grawn. busy US-31 25ft on one side and swamp on the other side. The cars in TC now have been valdalized quote a bit (paint) since put where they are in TC- a high valdalism area.

CamasChris
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CamasChris »

There is a group out here in Idaho trying to get the bridges and tunnels tore out of Lapawi Canyon. This is the 2nd sub of the Camas Prairie, the part that gave it the nickname "Idaho's railroad on stilts". The state has allready said its not going anywhere and never will be torn out, but they keep trying. Some people you just cant teach...lol

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Rick in TC wrote:AARR, the commuter cars were NOT touched at all in Grawn. busy US-31 25ft on one side and swamp on the other side. The cars in TC now have been valdalized quote a bit (paint) since put where they are in TC- a high valdalism area.
What a twist of irony :lol:

KC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC »

Now its on TV too...... :shock:

http://www.9and10news.com/Category/Stor ... 3242&cID=1

put the switch back in and fill up that second siding....... :lol: :idea:
Kelly
"I feel like an old railroad man
...and I know I can walk along the tracks,
It may take a little longer but I'll know
how to find my way back"

Rick in TC
Railroadfan...fan

I'd like to comment again on all this, but I'm busy writing Delta, United, and American Airlines to complain that their jets taking off and landing at the Traverse City airport fly right over my house, and I don't like the noise or having to look at them. If they could move their flight path a mile either north or south, I would be happy. Yeah NIMBY!