Are these speed signals?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
freightfan
Railroadfan...fan

Are these speed signals?

Unread post by freightfan »

On CN's GTW line (Holly sub), I've noticed 3 single lens searchlight style signals in a vertical line (ie above each other), 1 set of 3 signals per track. I will (try to) attach a photo later.

I've read somewhere that this was speed signaling as opposed to route signaling. The top one was for the fastest speed, middle one for medium speed and bottom for the slowest speed. Seems like when I see them, they are always red (I did see a flashing green once, as an Amtrak was approaching (south of Moterm, I believe)). Does anyone know if this is the case?

What would an indication of all red be - unsafe at any speed? :)

Thanks in advance.

freightfan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Are these speed signals?

Photo (hopefully):

GTWChris
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWChris »

You have the basic idea, here are some copies of CN signal rules I found on Flickr. I hope this helps you http://www.flickr.com/photos/mark_vogel/3428979761/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mark_vogel ... otostream/

willardgarrett
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by willardgarrett »

freightfan wrote:On CN's GTW line (Holly sub), I've noticed 3 single lens searchlight style signals in a vertical line (ie above each other), 1 set of 3 signals per track. I will (try to) attach a photo later.

I've read somewhere that this was speed signaling as opposed to route signaling. The top one was for the fastest speed, middle one for medium speed and bottom for the slowest speed. Seems like when I see them, they are always red (I did see a flashing green once, as an Amtrak was approaching (south of Moterm, I believe)). Does anyone know if this is the case?

What would an indication of all red be - unsafe at any speed? :)

Thanks in advance.
I don't know if Canadian National uses speed or route signalling, but I do know a little about signals.
The way you described the signals is not correct. The position of different colors does not convey speed in the exact way that you are describing. Here's a diagram of three-head signal apsects and what they mean:
http://crcyc.railfan.net/refs/ephem/cr- ... 0-1-88.gif
Note that each combination of colors has a different meaning. Speed signals only display the speed through switches, and have little impact if the train is going to continue straight. However, "approach" means that the next signal may be red, so trains would still have to slow down for that.
It takes a while to explain the rest, but I will just say that the word "limited" means 45 mph, medium is 30mph, and slow is 15mph. For example, medium clear means that the train will be going through a switch, and that it will have to be travelling at or slower than 30mph when it goes over that switch.

*GTWCHRIS POSTED WHILE I WAS TYPING, SORRY FOR THE REPETITION*
The B&O mainline through Ohio- the "diamond route"

freightfan
Railroadfan...fan

GTWChris wrote:You have the basic idea, here are some copies of CN signal rules I found on Flickr. I hope this helps you http://www.flickr.com/photos/mark_vogel/3428979761/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mark_vogel ... otostream/
These look like the signals we studied in class and they are routing signals. When I first asked if the signals we were going to study were for speed or routing, the instructors kinda laughed and said nobody uses speed signals anymore (or something to that effect (perhaps, nobody in this territory uses speed signals anymore)).

Routing signals will include speed restrictions (diverging routes, restricted speed).

freightfan
Railroadfan...fan

Here's the source:
www.alkrug.vcn.com/rrfacts/signals/signals.htm

Search on "Three"
Let's see how well this looks pasted in here:

Three speeds. Three Heads.
This first diagram shows a typical 3 head color light signal. The key is in understanding that each head governs a specific speed route. The higher on the pole the higher the permitted speed.

The top head governs the HIGH speed route. This would be "straight ahead". Not diverging through any switches. Track speeds would typically be greater than 45 mph and may be over one hundred mph.

The middle head governs the MEDIUM speed route. It would typically be used when diverging through relatively long track switches which are designed for speeds in the 30 mph range.

The bottom head governs movement on the SLOW speed route. That would be diverging through shorter switches that are only safe to traverse at 15 mph or slower.

OK - lost the graphics and formatting.

freightfan
Railroadfan...fan

Here is a site that has electronic flash cards for studying Block Signals.

http://www.etestmaker.biz/01/flash/start.htm

This site may be out of date, as the UP block signals we learned in class. For instance, a red with a number plate aspect is listed (named) Stop and Proceed, but UP has replaced that with a name of Restricted Proceed and the indication is "Proceed at Restricted Speed" - no need to stop first.

willardgarrett
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by willardgarrett »

I guess that is actually a pretty good rule of thumb, as limited speed is the only exception. Sorry for exaggurating a little there.
The B&O mainline through Ohio- the "diamond route"

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

freightfan wrote:Here is a site that has electronic flash cards for studying Block Signals.

http://www.etestmaker.biz/01/flash/start.htm

This site may be out of date, as the UP block signals we learned in class. For instance, a red with a number plate aspect is listed (named) Stop and Proceed, but UP has replaced that with a name of Restricted Proceed and the indication is "Proceed at Restricted Speed" - no need to stop first.
Most of the railroads keep flip-flopping on what the signal indication at a intermediate is. B&O had 'stop and proceed'. UP, until just a year or two ago, had 'stop and proceed' and now they've gone back to 'restricted proceed'. Have an accident and its determined if the crew had stopped and then proceeded would have prevented it, then the rule reverts for awhile.

Practice Safe CSX

esprrfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by esprrfan »

CSX_CO wrote: Most of the railroads keep flip-flopping on what the signal indication at a intermediate is. B&O had 'stop and proceed'. UP, until just a year or two ago, had 'stop and proceed' and now they've gone back to 'restricted proceed'. Have an accident and its determined if the crew had stopped and then proceeded would have prevented it, then the rule reverts for awhile.

Practice Safe CSX
Our old Stop and Proceed on NS became Restricting Proceed, then to just Restricting.

freightfan
Railroadfan...fan

esprrfan wrote:
CSX_CO wrote: Have an accident and its determined if the crew had stopped and then proceeded would have prevented it, then the rule reverts for awhile.

Practice Safe CSX
So that's how it works :)

Our old Stop and Proceed on NS became Restricting Proceed, then to just Restricting.
UP's Restricting is now a lunar or flashing red.

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

A flashing green signal at Moterm is typically for when trains are crossing over from Main 2 to Main 1.