LSRC Accident?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

LSRC Accident?

Unread post by AARR »

Picked this up off another board. Anyone know anything?
FREDERIC TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) — Northern Michigan authorities say a train hit a sport utility vehicle, injuring two men inside.
The Crawford County sheriff's department says the crash happened about 11:30 a.m. Tuesday at a railroad crossing in Frederic Township. The site is about 40 miles east of Traverse City.

Sheriff Kirk Wakefield says two local men were taken to Mercy Hospital Grayling for treatment. He identifies them as 29-year-old Chad Brown and 28-year-old Thomas King.

The hospital says Brown was treated and released, while King was transferred to another hospital. His condition wasn't immediately known.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

KC
Railroadfan...fan

Re: LSRC Accident?

Unread post by KC »

"I feel like an old railroad man
...and I know I can walk along the tracks,
It may take a little longer but I'll know
how to find my way back"

GT Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GT Railfan »

Was it me or did the lead engine look like a Rail America unit? When it was shown on the news I was a little suprised to see the different paint scheme.
Take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the Ice! lol

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

That's one of the new 4300 series GP40's they picked up.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

"Railroad tracks in northern Michigan typically are not marked."

Not even crossbucks???
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

MP73point4
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MP73point4 »

"Railroad tracks in northern Michigan typically are not marked."

An irresponsible comment by the sheriff and the media. As mentioned elsewhere, federal law requires all crossings to be marked with at least crossbucks. I'm sure the crossing in question was so marked. I'm also pretty sure that even if a horn isn't required at that crossing, the engineer & crew were alert enough to see the vehicle approaching and would have blown the horn.
If the driver wasn't paying enough attention to see an object as large as a moving, lit locomotive prior to the crash then they probably shouldn't be driving. Amazing how NIMBYs can see, hear, smell, and feel trains from great distances yet people involved in these collisions can't do any of this from 20 feet away.
RR Pass Collector

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MP73point4 wrote: Amazing how NIMBYs can see, hear, smell, and feel trains from great distances yet people involved in these collisions can't do any of this from 20 feet away.
:lol: GREAT point.
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

KC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC »

GT Railfan wrote:Was it me or did the lead engine look like a Rail America unit? When it was shown on the news I was a little suprised to see the different paint scheme.
Heres the 4301 taken beginning of the month.

Kelly
"I feel like an old railroad man
...and I know I can walk along the tracks,
It may take a little longer but I'll know
how to find my way back"

jukeman45
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jukeman45 »

Has anyone noticed the lack of major derailments on the LSRC lately? Finally got their act together.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

jukeman45 wrote:Has anyone noticed the lack of major derailments on the LSRC lately? Finally got their act together.
You just jinxed them. haha

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

J T wrote:
jukeman45 wrote:Has anyone noticed the lack of major derailments on the LSRC lately? Finally got their act together.
You just jinxed them. haha
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

LSRC
Flat River Rat

Unread post by LSRC »

I'm think that the crossing was a private crossing, so there weren't crossbucks, and they didn't blow the horn because they arn't required to. It also looks like the road curves up to the crossing, and the I imagine the crew didn't see the car until the very last second, if they saw it at all.

As for the newspaper's comment on the "lack of crossbucks"...well the media on the north end of the Mackinac Sub will do anything to take a cheap shot at the Lake State after the Grayling fire.