HESR derailment south of Ruth

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
pbmaxno15
Railroadfan...fan

HESR derailment south of Ruth

Unread post by pbmaxno15 »

My father-in-law and I took a little trip tonight to get some pictures of the HESR derailment near Ruth, in southern Huron County. There are four covered hoppers that have derailed. There were three CO-OP elevator trucks and one HESR truck at the scene. They were clearing out with a load of recovered soy beans when we arrived. One of the CO-OP employees asked if we were going to be there long, because they had to put the barricades back up. I told them we were just getting some pictures and were on our way out. Lighting was pretty bad so the pictures are not good, but they are better than nothing.

On the way to Ruth, we passed through Pigeon. There were 45 new CSX "How Tomorrow Moves" covered hoppers being loaded at the CO-OP Elevator. There was also a sting of 9 box cars at the colored bean plant. There were 10 covered hoppers at the elevator in Elkton and another string of at least 35 of the new CSX hoppers at the elevator east of Elkton. 8802 and 3865 were at the engine house in Bad Axe.

SW
Rail Trail Explorer

Re: HESR derailment south of Ruth

Unread post by SW »

Yes, they are better than nothing. Thanks for sharing. Looks like the derailment is blocking a road - which road?
Owosso Steve

pbmaxno15
Railroadfan...fan

The derailment is blocking Huron Line Road between Rangeline/Finkle Road and Minden Road. The local radio station is reporting that it maybe Monday before the road is open again.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

It has been a few years since I last fanned that area but IIRC the mainline to Ruth was in ok shape but the sidings and track north of the main road through Ruth were in rough shape.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Larry G
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Larry G »

Huron Daily Tribune Report on this derailment. Link http://www.michigansthumb.com/articles/ ... 767610.txt

Railcars overturn near county line
By Kelly Jerome
Tribune Editor
Published: Friday, March 18, 2011 11:17 PM EDT
PARIS TWP — A train derailed Thursday afternoon on Huron Line Road between S. Minden and S. Finkle roads, overturning four rail cars, Minden City Fire Chief Mark Klawon confirmed Friday.

The railroad company responded to the incident, and the Huron County Road Commission put up barricades on impacted roads.

Huron County Sheriff Kelly J. Hanson said his department was not contacted for assistance. While Klawon’s department received no call for help, Klawon said he went to the accident site to offer assistance.

He said while he was on the scene, he observed four overturned railcars, three of which were spilling soybeans. The fourth railcar did not appear to be spilling anything, Klawon said.

Hanson said the railroad company is waiting for a crew from Toledo, Ohio to help with the cleanup, and it likely will be a couple days before roads are reopened, though local traffic still can get through.
"If I Harp at you, it is only to Spur you on!

pbmaxno15
Railroadfan...fan

A reliable source told me that the cause of the derailment was 30 feet of rail that snapped off just north of the crossing.

mrpilot88
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mrpilot88 »

No wonder why the HESR local on the Owosso sub hasn't been running.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

mrpilot88 wrote:No wonder why the HESR local on the Owosso sub hasn't been running.
First of all this is news to me. The only reason I can think that the Owosso Local would not run is because the Georgia-Pacific plant and plastic pipe plant do not require service. Does any one know what is happening?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

They usually ran late night after switching Durand, that's probably whats going on now.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

GLC 392 wrote:They usually ran late night after switching Durand, that's probably whats going on now.
That is good to hear. The way things are in MI it seems we lose plants that ship by rail more often than not and I fear the worst when I hear news like from mrpilot88.

mrpilot88
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mrpilot88 »

AARR wrote:
mrpilot88 wrote:No wonder why the HESR local on the Owosso sub hasn't been running.
First of all this is news to me. The only reason I can think that the Owosso Local would not run is because the Georgia-Pacific plant and plastic pipe plant do not require service. Does any one know what is happening?

Yeah that's what I thought. It makes for interesting footage. Shortlines are simple and interesting. I'll keep my ear out for 8802 or 8804's horn. You're probably correct on the lack of service requirement.