06/28/06 - CSX notes in West MI

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
~Z~
Sofa King Admin

06/28/06 - CSX notes in West MI

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Nothing too out of the ordinary so far this morning. We have some light engines, D801, heading through Hudsonville currently on their way to West Olive to pickup some empties.
Q326 is sitting in Waverly finishing it's work...let's hope they get out of there soon, unlike yesterday's departure in the late afternoon.
There's crossing work still being done in Hudsonville at 40th Ave, but by local road repairmen. Jenison is torn up though by CSX crews replacing the track at that crossing.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Fairly interesting afternoon so far. Heard a few things meandering about. Grabbed some food and sat trackside in Zeeland. Maintainers were working trackside on the zeeland siding for the local industries. Saw them with a power saw and doing some welding as well. As soon as they got off the track, here comes the Y121 local. They get into the siding, talking about ice cream as they pass a local place. Watched them switch out zeeland lumber. Came in with 1 load, 1 empty, left with 2 new empties and the same extra empty. Chessie caboose 904015 was along for the ride of course. CSXT 6054 must be out of town, as a very nice old CSXT 2637 is now on local service.
The D801 from earlier today that had dropped off a load at West Olive returned back to waverly to act as a recrew for Q326. With the trackwork in Jenison, this D801(Q326) is going to stop somewhere out near Hudsonville for the work to finish.
On a side note, my face is peeling from this weekend's sun...itchy itchy.
Last edited by ~Z~ on Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Webmaster

patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by patrick »

Zack, double check your local service unit. 6654 isn't a active csxt unit no more. wish it was.. but it aint. GRR sounds like its been busy. glad to hear this info.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Thanks for the correction...it's actually CSXT 6054, not 6654. They had been using this one for at least a month or two...it was involved in that derailment out at TLC in Holland... What paint scheme is the CSXT 2637 considered as? It was a grey and blue unit.
Webmaster

patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by patrick »

thats a YN1 unit with the SBD showing through if its the unit i'm thinking of. post a pic of it.. and i'll tell you for sure. otherwise mr. Nathan will know without looking at it.

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

2637 sports the YN1 scheme, but just barely. Only the nose has yellow, and it lacks the CSX lettering.
http://railroadfan.com/gallery/displayi ... pos=-11775
http://railroadfan.com/gallery/displayi ... pos=-13222
Last edited by RailCanon on Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

not my pic, as mine is still on my camera since I'm at work...but here's the engine:
http://www.trainweb.org/csxphotos/photo ... CSX-yb.jpg
Webmaster

patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by patrick »

actually.. not considered YN1. its the Blue gray scheme modified.

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

patrick wrote:actually.. not considered YN1. its the Blue gray scheme modified.
That qualifies as YN1 in my book.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

ohh jeeze let's not split hairs just call it Brilliant Future and leave it

Sousa
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

Lol how about no future

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Had a pretty decent evening on CSX to round out my day.
As I was headed home, I heard a K356 (empty coke train) heading through someone's work limits... wasn't too sure where he was. Came up through Hudsonville and traffic was really backed up. Sure enough, there's K356 heading east out in the distance. I got ahead of it down in Grandville and waited.... and waited... They came to a stop near the runaround in Grandville. 5 minutes or so pass, and they are on the move. FURX 3000 in the lead, got some pics and a video of them going by.
Headed down to Wyoming Yard and spotted a loaded coal train there, no engines on the headend. Went down to Judd St, spotted a train sitting in the distance out to the east. Turns out this is K909 with Q335 strapped to it's end. Not sure if there was a second set of power in the middle, but I doubt it. Dispatcher said their whole system was down, and that K909 would need to take all 7 switches off power to line them from the Sunnyside lead, to Magies lead, to the coach track. Y201 was giving them a hand. I'm sure this slowed up Gregg's N915, so I headed for home. By the time I got home, K909 finally got permission to proceed into the yard after throwing all the switches. Dispatcher wanted ALL power switches put into handthrow at the yard.....
Pretty interesting night.... I did see what I thought was a new shack that said "Plaster Creek" just to the east of Judd St...don't believe I've seen that there, although I don't usually pay too much attention to those...
Webmaster

amtrak1007
MP 25 Productions Co-Founder

Unread post by amtrak1007 »

After you left, CSX had another power/signal problem at Pleasant Street, Plaster Creek Interlockers. A NS train was stuck on the bridge while Q327-27 was sitting at the home signal at Pleasant Street. The Q train had to move the crossover switches in hand positon into reverse, and back again, before the plants would line and lock for a signal indication. Once the plants were reset, the NS and Amtrak were able to pass through the interlockers with out insodent. Then Amtrak was stuck on the bridge, until midnight, when the RN dispatcher could get Watson Street back from an inspector to permit their movement northward to Fuller.

FYI the "Pleasant Street" Signal box was installed I beieve, after the tower was taken down in 1991?

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

amtrak1007 wrote:After you left, CSX had another power/signal problem at Pleasant Street, Plaster Creek Interlockers. A NS train was stuck on the bridge while Q327-27 was sitting at the home signal at Pleasant Street. The Q train had to move the crossover switches in hand positon into reverse, and back again, before the plants would line and lock for a signal indication. Once the plants were reset, the NS and Amtrak were able to pass through the interlockers with out insodent. Then Amtrak was stuck on the bridge, until midnight, when the RN dispatcher could get Watson Street back from an inspector to permit their movement northward to Fuller.

FYI the "Pleasant Street" Signal box was installed I beieve, after the tower was taken down in 1991?
Did you mean to reply to this thread?
http://www.railroadfan.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2100

It's not even midnight yet, and that NS train was stuck last night on the market st bridge. I actually didn't know that Q327 was just around the corner stuck at the signal... Can't believe the number of issues they've had at the plant with signal and switch problems.
Just hadn't noticed that signal box before...couple of crews had the doors open and were working inside..
Webmaster

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

CSXT 2637

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

CSXT 2637, a former Seaboard GP38-2, is in CSX Scheme 3 with a modified front nose. YN1p us what you'd see written on Mr. Tops' site and also on the Bullsheet. Many people wonder why the Chessie Chapter uses numbers to represent paint schemes, with a "M" or "modified" following the number, instead of the more generally accepted "YN#" system. The fact is, an engine which was in CSXT's 3rd scheme (Scheme 3, Blue and Gray with Blue underframe and trucks) which has since been modified with a yellow nose on front and or back and also a yellow frame stripe would be considered YN1, while a locomotive in CSXT's Scheme 5 (the brief scheme just prior to "bright future") would also be considered YN1, yet they are different. We sort of think our system is a better way to differentiate between all 7 CSX schemes, using "modified" to indicate a later paint scheme change (such as yellow noses and/or sills), and it helps keep a chronological order of the succession of paint schemes used.

Anyways, below is a Chessie Chapter collection photo of CSX 2637 at Rougemere Yard. You can clearly see the blue fuel tank, steps and trucks, thus giving it away as a scheme 3 unit. Gregg is right, the front nose is the only thing which has been modified, and it lacks a CSX logo (GP15T #1503 also sports this, but it's a Scheme 2 unit).

http://groups.msn.com/chessiechapter/_whatsnew.msnw