LSJ 5/8/11 Lansing's Old Town Spur Opens in 2 or 3 weeks

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Larry G
Railroadfan...fan

LSJ 5/8/11 Lansing's Old Town Spur Opens in 2 or 3 weeks

Unread post by Larry G »

Keep your eyes open and camera ready!!!
The Adrian & Blissfield Rail Road Co., whose Jackson & Lansing Railroad Co. owns the tracks through Old Town, will replace some railroad ties, level some stretches of rail and remove weeds along the track. The work, expected to cost between $100,000 and $200,000, is expected to get under way within the next two or three weeks and take a couple of weeks to complete, said Adrian & Blissfield President Mark Dobronski.

Dobronski warned that people parking on the tracks will have to pay a fine if they are caught. He said the railroad has its own police force with three officers.

Full article link:

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/arti ... CFRONTPAGE
"If I Harp at you, it is only to Spur you on!

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Re: LSJ 5/8/11 Lansing's Old Town Spur Opens in 2 or 3 weeks

Unread post by AARR »

I have not heard / read anything concrete about the amount of traffic that will be shipped. The speculation is a 3-car block of box cars every other week or so. Whatver it is I am looking forward to the new business.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GrandTrunkFan »

Thats good to hear! I gotta be out there the first day!

BTW: On a side note, the coal silos along the right o way were recently demolished. The girlfriend and I went on the riverwalk and I snappd a few pics of the bottom 5 ft of coal towers that were left.
Nick

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Great news, Larry.

This is not so great news, though:
GrandTrunkFan wrote:
BTW: On a side note, the coal silos along the right o way were recently demolished. The girlfriend and I went on the riverwalk and I snappd a few pics of the bottom 5 ft of coal towers that were left.
Probably for the better, but I always hate to see old landmarks (especially railroad-related) disappear.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

gtwhogger
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by gtwhogger »

GrandTrunkFan wrote:Thats good to hear! I gotta be out there the first day!

Crap, looks like my procrastination got the better of me again, was planning to shoot those puppies this friday.

Stan

Larry G
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Larry G »

A few photos of the old siding on June 5, 2011. No apparent track work on the spur yet. Dirt pile has been removed at the scrap yard that was across the tracks in the winter. No cars parking on the ROW today. :)

Remains of old North Lansing Depot in photo below. Cinderblack addition was once attached to original depot at this location.
"If I Harp at you, it is only to Spur you on!

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Thanks for the update, Larry. I'm going to be in Lansing on Sunday, so I'll do a little investigating then. Would be nice to see some progress made soon.
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

j32885
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by j32885 »

Just looking at the Lansing's Old Town Spur via Google Maps. Seems like the current tracks go from Ensel Yd. to as south to Oakland Ave. From there, it turn's into Lansing River Trail. In it's prime, it would have gone all the way down to the GTW at Ceader St. Jct. Hopefully, ADBF's JAIL will pick up some more customers from this restored line.

AMTK832
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AMTK832 »

In its prime, the line ran all the way to Albion. The spur off the Jackson line to QDC is another remnant. Some visible clues of the line's existence can still be observed at various locations between the Old Town segment and the QDC segment. The line can also be followed for a ways into the woods south of Reid Machinery, on the QDC part.
~only the person who risks is truly free~

UncleRaul
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by UncleRaul »

Is anyone else getting the feeling that maybe this thing fell through? Maybe they just had a delay/last minute negotiations, trying to find a contractor, ect. Not sure.

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

UncleRaul wrote:Is anyone else getting the feeling that maybe this thing fell through? Maybe they just had a delay/last minute negotiations, trying to find a contractor, ect. Not sure.
I certainly hope not, I kinda wonder if anybody has heard anything on this, It's pretty neat that they could resuscitate this old line and breath some life into it.

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by conrailman75 »

I love the shot of the old North Lansing depot and the badly weathered Conrail block sign. Looks like someone already swiped the Lansing part of the sign off the depot, I would be interested in the badly weathered block sign if ADBF ever decides to get rid of it.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

Tim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tim »

The sign and cinder block building belong to CSX.

Tim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tim »

Cleaned out the garage this week and went down to Friedland with the results. They are in the process of cleaning out their track well so as to be able to load boxcars of cardboard and they also plan on shipping scrap metal in gons. However there appears to have been no work done on the tracks connecting Friedland with the JAIL track and they very definitely didn't run a weed sprayer on the line this year as the NS always did.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

j32885 wrote:Just looking at the Lansing's Old Town Spur via Google Maps. Seems like the current tracks go from Ensel Yd. to as south to Oakland Ave. From there, it turn's into Lansing River Trail. In it's prime, it would have gone all the way down to the GTW at Ceader St. Jct. Hopefully, ADBF's JAIL will pick up some more customers from this restored line.
More customers? The only possible one is at the end of the line as far as I've always noticed. Aside from the lumber yard at the beginning of the spur, there are no other possibilities.
Last edited by J T on Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

KC8RBK
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC8RBK »

If they shoved a car right to the end of the line with some security fencing Lansing Ice and Fuel couple probably receive cars. I don't know if they sell enough volume to make that a viable option though.

UncleRaul
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by UncleRaul »

I'm assuming there's no news here? Wonder what gives?

Hogger1225
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Hogger1225 »

J T wrote:
j32885 wrote:Just looking at the Lansing's Old Town Spur via Google Maps. Seems like the current tracks go from Ensel Yd. to as south to Oakland Ave. From there, it turn's into Lansing River Trail. In it's prime, it would have gone all the way down to the GTW at Ceader St. Jct. Hopefully, ADBF's JAIL will pick up some more customers from this restored line.
More customers? The only possible one is at the end of the line as far as I've always noticed. Aside from the lumber yard at the beginning of the spur, there are no other possibilities.
LOL! In it's prime it went all the way to Albion.
I used to get paid for doing what all of you like to watch!

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

Hogger1225 wrote:LOL! In it's prime it went all the way to Albion.
In it's prime, it went all the way to Jonesville (but who's counting anyways.......)

caboose9
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by caboose9 »

"In it's prime, it went all the way to Jonesville, but who's counting anyways..."

Obviously not the guy who started the thread months ago!
S. Roger Kirkpatrick, 731 6th St., Marietta, OH 45750