So long, Milan Ford plant

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
GP30M4216
Saver of all History

So long, Milan Ford plant

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

From the Detroit Free Press:

Ford says it has reached deal to sell Milan plant
BY BRENT SNAVELY

DETROIT FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER

Ford said Wednesday it has reached an agreement to sell its Milan plant to Inergy Automotive Systems, a subsidiary of auto parts-maker Compagnie Plastic Omnium.

Under the deal, Inergy plans to move the plant's fuel tank operations and many of its employees to a new plant.

The plant, which employs about 500, was part of Visteon when Ford spun off its parts division in 2000. Then, the plant was among the 23 plants that Ford agreed to take back in 2005 under a business named Automotive Components Holdings.

Since then, Ford has been trying to either sell or close those plants. A tentative deal to sell the Milan plant to Flex-N-Gate fell through in 2009.

"We are delighted to announce the sale of our blow-molded fuel tank business to Inergy," said Mark Blair, president and CEO, ACH. "This is another important step in our strategic plan for Automotive Components Holdings, and it is a great opportunity for the employees at Milan."

Glad I got these photos last fall:

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: So long, Milan Ford plant

Unread post by AARR »

Inergy has a place in Adrian that receives service from ADBF so there is a good chance the Milan plant will continue to receive rail cars too
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

GP30M4216 wrote:Under the deal, Inergy plans to move the plant's fuel tank operations and many of its employees to a new plant.
I think you missed this part of the story AARR cant ship cars to it if no one is there.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

sd70accsxt700 wrote:
GP30M4216 wrote:Under the deal, Inergy plans to move the plant's fuel tank operations and many of its employees to a new plant.
I think you missed this part of the story AARR cant ship cars to it if no one is there.
I may have missed part of the story. But my thought was if the Adrian plant is receiving rail service I think when they move to Milan, they will continue rail service at Milan too. Or am I misunderstanding your point?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

The article is not clear:
Under the deal, Inergy plans to move the plant's fuel tank operations and many of its employees to a new plant.
"This is another important step in our strategic plan for Automotive Components Holdings, and it is a great opportunity for the employees at Milan."
Hopefully they'll keep some operations at Milan and retain rail service. But Adrian is not that far away, maybe they'll consolidate all business there.

etmccaus
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by etmccaus »

The general consensus seems to be that Inergy is buying the operations, but not the plant -- which means they'll be shifted into another facility. AnnArbor.com's report (http://annarbor.com/autos/milan-automot ... plastic-o/) suggests employees will be offered the chance to relocate to a new workplace in "southeastern Michigan," indicating operations are moving out -- and sooner than later. And that's the supposed "great opportunity" for the Milan employees previously mentioned.

Could the factory itself still be used? Maybe. But ACH needs to find a buyer first, and it sounds doubtful that will happen. Apparently the firm came close a couple times, but no deals have actually transpired.

Wish I'd gotten those switching photos -- I lived in town by the diamond for almost two years, but always seemed to miss catching a plant move in daylight. Drat.

-Evan

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

Brought this one back to the forefront..Saline plant found a buyer, don't know what the future of the plant in Milan holds but this is what we do know.
http://www.annarbor.com/business-review ... -employer/
Whose going to pick up the slack on the Wabash and make up for the loss of ford/visteon/ach traffic?
Exit stage left

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Couple things:
The rumor was the Saline plant was sold to Jacs
The other was Milan's operations would move to Inergy's Adrian plant

Those that know, and they are here, are not saying or even hinting :?

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

In addition to the pellets the Milan plant is getting the 86' High-Cubes which I had not previously seen in there before. The Saline plant is reportedly being bought by a company related to Puegeot (sp?) a French carmaker, I would guess since ALL that companies cars are sold overseas that this traffic would be shipped by rail to an eastern port or something. The Milan plant has a far shakier future but for now still sees service and was pretty full of cars last week...
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

tapezord
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by tapezord »

AARR wrote:Inergy has a place in Adrian that receives service from ADBF so there is a good chance the Milan plant will continue to receive rail cars too
for what its worth, inergy is also looking to develop a new facility in huron township along the csx line and is currently proposing the construction of a rail spur on the site plan.

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

Time for a big bump i spent the weekend at Milan train watching and the Ford Milan plant is operating there is a newer sign along Plank Rd that says Ford Motor Company(Milan Storage Facility) i went across the rail spur on the north side of the plant and it is definitely shiny from frequent use a very good sign that it is still rail served.