Intermodel terminal

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Nighttrain404
Railroadfan...fan

Intermodel terminal

Unread post by Nighttrain404 »

Are they going to build a intermodel station in Kalkaska,MI?

DLM
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Intermodel terminal

Unread post by DLM »

Maybe you are thinking of some type of transload facility from railcar to truck.

I know of only two companies north of Kalkaska that load intermodal containers and one near Traverse City. Their combined outbound volumes is less than 60 per year. All the intermodal out of the UP goes via Wisconsin to Chicago and most of that is from one lumber shipper.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

DLM wrote:Maybe you are thinking of some type of transload facility from railcar to truck.
There is an old Eagle Picher plant south of town with a double ended siding (in place but overgrown I hear) that is operated by Northern Logistics (IIRC and same place that operates Clare's Poly Pavilion). I hear now and then they try to establish something railroad related there but nothing has materilized.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Nighttrain404
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Nighttrain404 »

I meant transload facility for trucks in Kalkaska,MI

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Nighttrain404 wrote:I meant transload facility for trucks in Kalkaska,MI
They already transload stuff from Kalkaska including acid for drilling (current), leatchete (not in a while), pulpwood (long gone), drilling pipe, gas line pipe, drilling muds, and other stuff.

If you mean will they pave it and make it another Poly Pavilion in Clare I highly doubt that will happen. There has been a rumor that Petoskey Plastics will move its transload from Petoskey to Klakska or Clare (ditto for East Jordan Plastics) and discontinue service north of Kalkska but that is just a rumor with no supporting evidence that I know of.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...