CSX Benton Harbor Yard Removed for Road Extension

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

CSX Benton Harbor Yard Removed for Road Extension

Unread post by Jochs »

Benton Harbor Yard is being removed so Graham St. can be extended to Riverview Dr., making another way to get between Benton Harbor and St. Joseph, and make it easier to get to the Harbor Shores golf course.
Pretty sad to see the 100 year old yard go. :(

http://heraldpalladium.com/articles/201 ... 401376.txt
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

J T
Hates Supper

Re: CSX Benton Harbor Yard Removed for Road Extension

Unread post by J T »

A year or two ago I saw a planning sign at the end of Graham that showed a pedestrian bridge over the tracks in about the very spot where Graham will be extended down to Edgewater. I guess that won't be necessary now.
The main line still runs through Benton Harbor and St. Joseph, and CSX can build spurs to meet customer demand, such as the spur serving the Elisha Gray Enterprise Park at Benton Harbor's northern edge.
That spur looks like it hasn't been used in decades.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

J T wrote:
The main line still runs through Benton Harbor and St. Joseph, and CSX can build spurs to meet customer demand, such as the spur serving the Elisha Gray Enterprise Park at Benton Harbor's northern edge.
Do you mean the one that crosses Paw Paw Avenue and follows Enterprise Way?
The spur was built way back in the late 20th century around 1997 when Nuwave paper was built out there. When they closed the spur was abandoned after only a few years of use. I would say it hasn't been used for about 5 years. I don't know the exact dates of it actually opening and closing, but it was not there for very long.
D700 used to serve it when they were based out of Benton Harbor.
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Sorry for dragging this up, but I need to know what exactly is left of the old yard. Is EVERYTHING gone, leaving just the 2 mains between the Paw Paw river and 5th street/ North Shore Drive/ Graham St?
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

tsinoms
Adult Gerber Baby

Unread post by tsinoms »

MQT3001 wrote:Sorry for dragging this up, but I need to know what exactly is left of the old yard. Is EVERYTHING gone, leaving just the 2 mains between the Paw Paw river and 5th street/ North Shore Drive/ Graham St?
Should be just the two mains IIRC.
This is my life. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

If this is a problem get used to it.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

tsinoms wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:Sorry for dragging this up, but I need to know what exactly is left of the old yard. Is EVERYTHING gone, leaving just the 2 mains between the Paw Paw river and 5th street/ North Shore Drive/ Graham St?
Should be just the two mains IIRC.
Cool. I'll note it in my TT

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Jochs wrote:
J T wrote:
Do you mean the one that crosses Paw Paw Avenue and follows Enterprise Way?
The spur was built way back in the late 20th century around 1997 when Nuwave paper was built out there. When they closed the spur was abandoned after only a few years of use. I would say it hasn't been used for about 5 years. I don't know the exact dates of it actually opening and closing, but it was not there for very long.
It appears I missed your reply last year, Jeff. Yeah, that spur looked like it had been neglected longer than you're saying it was. I guess it just didn't age well with neglect. :D
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

AveryRdhouse
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AveryRdhouse »

Everything that was cool now sucks! I'm finding another hobby.
Bill

tadman
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by tadman »

What yard has replaced the Benton Harbor yard? Is there still a geep based out of Benton Harbor?

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

tadman wrote:What yard has replaced the Benton Harbor yard? Is there still a geep based out of Benton Harbor?
Everything is based out of Wyoming Yard in Grand Rapids now. D700 heads south Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays to work whats left of the customers the old BH crews used to. They work weekends from time to time as well.

Although, there is still a yard crew for Holland.

Firemedic Mike
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Firemedic Mike »

Sorry it has taken so long to post. I have been busy and haven't been on here in a while. As of about noon today, which is the last time I drove through the Benton Harbor yard area, there are two mains intact. There is also a siding which was mostly taken up but recently began to be re-laid on the North side of the mains. The rails had been \removed and ties had been placed as of several weeks ago, but a small green piece of MOW equipment arrived on a semi and spent a week or so on the siding. Now the rails are back on the ties and the ties are properly spaced. The little green machine has since disappeared. The siding is connected to a main just east of the new crossing.

The grey building which I believe is used by the signal department (old freight station?) is still standing. There is a signal mast laying near it along with other material. There is also a John Deere payloader marke CSX sitting next to it.

Let me know if anyone wants any further surveying done of the area. I live nearby and drive the area several times per week.
-Mike
I save lives. What do you do?