Tank Cars on the Annie?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
JANGAJONGA
Epic Fail B34 Master

Tank Cars on the Annie?

Unread post by JANGAJONGA »

Recently caught the Ann Arbor and noticed that almost the whole train was made up of tank cars carrying hot liquids, I have never noticed anything like this before....new customer somewhere?

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Re: Tank Cars on the Annie?

Unread post by AARR »

JANGAJONGA wrote:Recently caught the Ann Arbor and noticed that almost the whole train was made up of tank cars carrying hot liquids, I have never noticed anything like this before....new customer somewhere?
There is a thread somewhere titled "Rumors" IIRC that mentions the possibility of AARR handling traffic for Marathon Refinery in Melvindale. We were trying to guess where the cars would be staged for loading/unloading. My guess is the old Dundee Cement site.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

JANGAJONGA
Epic Fail B34 Master

This was on the osmer turn nb

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Hot and not placecards, Asphalt.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

sd70accsxt700 wrote:Hot and not placecards, Asphalt.
I know GLC delivers asphalt to MMRR in Alma for Terry Products but that traffic has always arrived on CN in Durand or CSX to SBS to MMRR at Paines. So I do not know if thats what you saw, JJ, or if its the Marathon traffic that was rumored :?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

JANGAJONGA
Epic Fail B34 Master

The placards were 3257 which i think means molten liquids

PerRock
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PerRock »

JANGAJONGA wrote:The placards were 3257 which i think means molten liquids
UN3257 is: "Elevated temperature liquid, n.o.s., at or above 100 C and below its flash point (including molten metals, molten salts, ect.)."

peter
Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.
American Trainz Group

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

I do not know if this is another possibility or not but Agro-Culture Liquid Fertilizer recently opened a tank farm in Ashley where they can take in larger blocks of cars.

shack
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by shack »

Its ashphalt for alma

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

I kinda thought it was for Terry Materials, Does anybody know if the old Alma Iron and Metal witch is now owned by Podnos is still shipping by rail or not i haven't seen a load of scrap in a long time come from Paines.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

shack wrote:Its ashphalt for alma
Thanks shack. Any idea why its being routed on AA? It usually arrives CN-Durand or SBS-Paines.
penn central wrote:Does anybody know if the old Alma Iron and Metal witch is now owned by Podnos is still shipping by rail or not i haven't seen a load of scrap in a long time come from Paines.
Have not heard anything about this recenlty. Padnos usually ships their stuff by rail so maybe just a lull in the rail shipments now.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

AARR wrote:
shack wrote:Its ashphalt for alma
Thanks shack. Any idea why its being routed on AA? It usually arrives CN-Durand or SBS-Paines.
penn central wrote:Does anybody know if the old Alma Iron and Metal witch is now owned by Podnos is still shipping by rail or not i haven't seen a load of scrap in a long time come from Paines.
Have not heard anything about this recenlty. Padnos usually ships their stuff by rail so maybe just a lull in the rail shipments now.
Gee where is my thanks.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Many many thanks to you. sd70accsxt700 :)

shack
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by shack »

I think the asphalt coming in on the NS thru Toledo, think also a few more grain trains might be going that way, majority of the grain go to csx toledo though, Alma Iron and Metel truck there stuff to saginaw and than put it on rail last i heard

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

shack wrote:I think the asphalt coming in on the NS thru Toledo, think also a few more grain trains might be going that way, majority of the grain go to csx toledo though, Alma Iron and Metel truck there stuff to saginaw and than put it on rail last i heard
Wow thanks for the update Shack, I wonder if it's going to Rifkin.