Lansing Industrial Loco

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
KenB
Railroadfan...fan

Lansing Industrial Loco

Unread post by KenB »

Got an E-mail from another railfan and he informed me that MVPX 1207, ex-DRSX 1207, SW9, nee-BRC 521 is on its way from BJRY to Lansing, Michigan. Guess need someone in Lansing to have an eye for it. Could be going to GM-Lansing to switch auto-racks or maybe BWL? Any scuttlebut?

GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Lansing Industrial Loco

Unread post by GP9R »

KenB wrote:Got an E-mail from another railfan and he informed me that MVPX 1207, ex-DRSX 1207, SW9, nee-BRC 521 is on its way from BJRY to Lansing, Michigan. Guess need someone in Lansing to have an eye for it. Could be going to GM-Lansing to switch auto-racks or maybe BWL? Any scuttlebut?
Dropped it off in Battle Creek from M332 about an hour ago. My info said BWL, not sure which plant its going to.

Ribbon Rail
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ribbon Rail »

Should be former Central Illinois Railway #1207 from Peoria, IL. I photographed these last summer there.
http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=2084754

They may have repainted it back into DOT Rail Services blue dip at the Burlington Junction. A friend spotted these in Burlington, IA a couple months back.

M&LS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M&LS »

The Unit is still in blue & white stripe with CI rail logo. Was sighted in Cory Yard Sunday evening, along with a cut of center-beams loaded with lumber. This is the yard servicing the GM plant. While it could be supposed that the unit was sent for the GM plant, why would it be tied to a string of lumber, they don't use that in automobiles, i figure that the whole cut will go further down the line. We will have to see where it goes.

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

M&LS wrote:The Unit is still in blue & white stripe with CI rail logo. Was sighted in Cory Yard Sunday evening, along with a cut of center-beams loaded with lumber. This is the yard servicing the GM plant. While it could be supposed that the unit was sent for the GM plant, why would it be tied to a string of lumber, they don't use that in automobiles, i figure that the whole cut will go further down the line. We will have to see where it goes.
There are lumber loads/empties that are switched in and out of Cory yard, not sure where the loads go. The switcher was still in the yard as of today around 3pm when I left the plant.

M&LS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M&LS »

I have corrections and additions:(to myself)

Mike the lumber goes to Universal Forestry Products north of Snow yard or Mid-Michigan Fabrication north of Meijers dist.

1207 may still be destined to be owned by MVPX which is BJRY which handles switching and such (website: http://www.bjryrail.com) perhaps they have a contract to handle the autos(which are RR employee loaded) and the racks from Cory to loading tracks and back. That is what BJRY/MVP does in Fenton, MO for Chrysler.

And further, with hearing that GM has not been happy with CN's handling of the Cadys, perhaps they might look for another service provider. (It may have went as far as CSX looking to build a new spur down from the line SW of the 96/69 jct, or so I've heard.)

How do you like them apples in our pipe and smoke 'um?.... er somethin'.

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer

M&LS wrote:I have corrections and additions:(to myself)

Mike the lumber goes to Universal Forestry Products north of Snow yard or Mid-Michigan Fabrication north of Meijers dist.

1207 may still be destined to be owned by MVPX which is BJRY which handles switching and such (website: http://www.bjryrail.com) perhaps they have a contract to handle the autos(which are RR employee loaded) and the racks from Cory to loading tracks and back. That is what BJRY/MVP does in Fenton, MO for Chrysler.

And further, with hearing that GM has not been happy with CN's handling of the Cadys, perhaps they might look for another service provider. (It may have went as far as CSX looking to build a new spur down from the line SW of the 96/69 jct, or so I've heard.)

How do you like them apples in our pipe and smoke 'um?.... er somethin'.
It wouldn't be the first time GM and CN don't see eye to eye. CN hasn't handled auto shipments out of Lake Orion Assembly in about 3 years now. All the cars coming out of Orion are trucked to a loading facility. I wonder if it's just the Cadillac models or if that includes our crossovers in the lot too.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Thought Cory yard was at the Delta Township plant and Snow yard was the general freight yard in Lansing (they're a mile or so apart IIRC). Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer

SD80MAC wrote:Thought Cory yard was at the Delta Township plant and Snow yard was the general freight yard in Lansing (they're a mile or so apart IIRC). Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Cory yard is at the Delta plant.

GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP9R »

GP9R wrote:
KenB wrote:Got an E-mail from another railfan and he informed me that MVPX 1207, ex-DRSX 1207, SW9, nee-BRC 521 is on its way from BJRY to Lansing, Michigan. Guess need someone in Lansing to have an eye for it. Could be going to GM-Lansing to switch auto-racks or maybe BWL? Any scuttlebut?
Dropped it off in Battle Creek from M332 about an hour ago. My info said BWL, not sure which plant its going to.
Does anyone read my posts? This engines is destined for the BOARD OF WATER AND LIGHT. Cory yard is used for block swapping. K934 would take the unit to the proper location. K933 usually only works the Autoplant. The Center beams will as posted previously go to either Universal or Biewer behind the Meijer warehouse.

GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP9R »

conrailmike wrote:
SD80MAC wrote:Thought Cory yard was at the Delta Township plant and Snow yard was the general freight yard in Lansing (they're a mile or so apart IIRC). Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Cory yard is at the Delta plant.
Cory Yard is the 4 tracks right off the main, the 3 tracks up by the plant are considered part GM support tracks

12Bridge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 12Bridge »

Reading is optional on the interwebs.

M&LS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M&LS »

Didn't know GP9R's word was gospel... thought this was a discussion forum. sorry my mistake.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

M&LS wrote:Didn't know GP9R's word was gospel... thought this was a discussion forum. sorry my mistake.
I think he was frustrated because he said "It's going to the BWL" and yet speculation continued on where the engine was going. GP9R delivered it to Lansing so I'd pretty take that as gospel. :mrgreen:
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP9R »

SD80MAC wrote:
M&LS wrote:Didn't know GP9R's word was gospel... thought this was a discussion forum. sorry my mistake.
I think he was frustrated because he said "It's going to the BWL" and yet speculation continued on where the engine was going. GP9R delivered it to Lansing so I'd pretty take that as gospel. :mrgreen:
Not Completely true, I only brought to Battle Creek. No, my word isn't gospel. But the chances are that I've got a pretty good idea of whats going on. I've been wrong before, and I'm sure I'll be wrong again. And SD80MAC is right, I was frustrated that I posted were it was going and the speculation continued anyways mostly with some really off the wall stuff. I think we went through this with the GTW Santa Train Thread in december

M&LS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M&LS »

Mr. Cameron(GP9R), nothing personal... I just got a little ruffled by how you said what you said, I didn't realize you literally set it off. Sorry, if you say its going to BWL then i will trust that it's going to BWL. Thought it was just a haughty rail fans hunch, you know the royal "we"...

by the by I wasn't around for the Santa train debacle, sounds like it was pretty bad eh? Good, productive, discussion is always better.

Thank you for the information.

-M&LS, eating my humble pie. :D

GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP9R »

M&LS wrote:Mr. Cameron(GP9R), nothing personal... I just got a little ruffled by how you said what you said, I didn't realize you literally set it off. Sorry, if you say its going to BWL then i will trust that it's going to BWL. Thought it was just a haughty rail fans hunch, you know the royal "we"...

by the by I wasn't around for the Santa train debacle, sounds like it was pretty bad eh? Good, productive, discussion is always better.

Thank you for the information.

-M&LS, eating my humble pie. :D
Its no problem at all. I know that is was going to the BWL in Lansing, but my paperwork can say BWL and mean either plant. As far as the Santa Train went, I posted the locations that the train was going to be visiting and that was it. I was asked if I knew the times the train was going to be at said locations, which I did. But you have to be careful with what you post. You never know who is watching and a few people got upset that I wasn't sharing the info. Anyways, someone else leaked out the info and everyone was happy. BTW Your welcome to share that pie with me :mrgreen:

MP73point4
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MP73point4 »

Unit has been moved from Cory to the Millett yard. Buried in front of the crew office.
RR Pass Collector

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GrandTrunkFan »

MP73point4 wrote:Unit has been moved from Cory to the Millett yard. Buried in front of the crew office.
I may have to go down and check that out. I really have no excuse for not paying attention to CN, I only live a mile or 2 from them. :roll:
Nick

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

GP9R wrote:The Center beams will as posted previously go to either Universal or Biewer behind the Meijer warehouse.
Thanks GP9R. I was wondering if there were still two lumber customers for CN in Lansing and you answered my question.

Would you happen to know what type(s) of lumber they get? Reason I ask is the handful of times per year I go by both places they always seem to have a lot of what I believe is called "fence posts" lumber. Do they get 2x's or plywood or anything else? Do they get box cars? Thank you!
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...