Question on Amtrak GR to Chicago

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
wyrickj
Railroadfan...fan

Question on Amtrak GR to Chicago

Unread post by wyrickj »

Hey all,

I am taking Amtrak Wed morning for a business trip and was wondering on a couple things since I've never taken Amtrak in MI before.

First is does Amtrak atleast on Michigan lines offer any USB power charging for my iPhone? If not hopefully they implement some sort of Acela Express type service that has it. Only have used the MBTA commuter rail stuff in Boston before and I know they did not have anything.

Second is what type of food items does Amtrak offer on the GR to Chicago route? I know it's very limited from what I read but do you have any idea on what they offer?

and 3rd is do you think they might offer a later departure time in the near future? It would be nice because I may be working daily in Chicago for a while and won't be getting out before the 5:20PM departure time.

It would be nice for the high speed service that is being proposed and later chicago departure times. I would def take it daily if those 2 things happened :D
Pure Michigan Railroads
YouTube | Facebook

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Re: Question on Amtrak GR to Chicago

Unread post by Ypsi »

You should be in a superliner coach, so there should power outlets at each seat (not USB ports though) as for the food,
Amtrak wrote:Informal Dining Options
On many trains not offering formal Dining Car service, food service is often available in Lounge, Dinette, Cafe, and Snack Cars from early morning to late evening. Hours of operation vary depending on train operation.

On these cars, we offer a variety of carry-out style foods, including soups and salads, beverages, pizza, sandwiches, and other snacks. On some trains, ready-to-go tray meals are available.

Credit cards (MasterCard, American Express, Visa and Discover) are accepted for payment in Cafe Cars on all trains that offer food service.
via amtrak.com
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Amfood isn't bad, a tad bit high for what you get, but I would recommend (if you like it) the hummus and pretzel chips... it is excellent and not too bad for the price.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

TrainWatcher wrote:Amfood isn't bad, a tad bit high for what you get, but I would recommend (if you like it) the hummus and pretzel chips... it is excellent and not too bad for the price.
Overpriced yeah! Forgot to say that. Don't they have some sort of value box or something?
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

C30-7A
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by C30-7A »

As Ypsi said, the Pere Marquette runs with Superliners, which are the most comfortable cars on the fleet at the moment. All cars should now have multiple outlets at each set, allowing you to plug in and use chargers, laptops and other devices.
The Pere Marquette does have a cafe in the lower level of the train. There are some breakfast offerings like an Egg sandwich, muffins and cinnamon rolls and a few lunch items like hot dogs, ham and cheese sandwiches and, my personal favorite, a garden vegan burger. White Castle burgers are also served along with a variety of chips, pretzels, cookies and candies. Pop, coffee and tea are also available.
Yes, the prices are a little high, but this is true with any transportation company. If you aren't interested in buying food on the train, you can always bring your own snacks, meals and/or drinks aboard to eat, too.

Have a good trip! And if you're interested in scenery, grab a seat on the right side of the train :)
If you can fly don't stop at the sky, 'cause there's footprints on the moon.

Beal99
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Beal99 »

No USB ports, just standard AC plugs.

Also, no plans for a later train at this time