New Amtrak timetable effective 5/7/2012

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
GP30M4216
Saver of all History

New Amtrak timetable effective 5/7/2012

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Amtrak's new National Timetable for the spring and summer went into effect May 7th. There are some changes in Michigan (minor) and beyond:

The Pere Marquette, since it has now been using Superliners consistantly (after many were returned to service with TARP), is now listed as having standard Cafe Car service. A definitive step up!

Amtrak operates a guaranteed Thruway Bus connection between several Michigan cities and the eastbound Capitol Limited and Lake Shore Limited at Toledo (and then a returning bus meeting the westbounds). Anyhow, as of this new timetable, Jackson, MI has been added as a Thruway stop, in addition to East Lansing, Ann Arbor, Dearborn, and Detroit. I hope the new stop is decently patronized.

Beyond Michigan: The Capitol Limited now features upgraded full dining car service, with the return of meals served on china.

Check out the cover! There's a PRR E8 to be found if you have a good eye.

The most significant change is the complete rescheduling of the westbound Sunset Limited (Los Angeles-New Orleans) to different days of the week, and change of the eastbound departure from Los Angeles to late night. From the Amtrak press release: "The westbound Sunset Limited which will now operate westbound on Monday, Wednesday and Saturday. While there is no change in days of operation for the eastbound train, it will depart later in the day in order to restore connections to the Coast Starlight (Seattle – Los Angeles) and make possible an attractive next morning arrival to Arizona destinations."

Amtrak is on track to eclipse 30 million passengers again and surpass last year's ridership record, and I look forward to being one of those passengers sometime this summer! 8) 8)

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: New Amtrak timetable effective 5/7/2012

Unread post by SD80MAC »

I was hoping to read they added a second train to the PM route. Maybe next year.....
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

SD80MAC wrote:I was hoping to read they added a second train to the PM route. Maybe next year.....
If they ever do, I'd be more likely to take a day trip to Chicago via Amtrak. Leaving in the evening, staying in a hotel downtown and then returning the next evening would be fantastic.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

NoviRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NoviRailfan »

Does Amtrak have the equipment to support additional trains? I had the impression from the recent report of new equipment orders that part of that was being driven by the lack of equipment to support current trains.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

I think they could, but it might be pushing it. I'm not sure about the equipment situation out of Chicago but I could see a 3 car superliner train or 4 car single level cars. As for locos they should be good because they can use the NPCUs.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Novi: you're right. Unless equipment needs to be in the shop, everything they have is pretty much in revenue service. The demand is there and many trains are still selling out. A little relief should come at the end of the year. Two new Talgo trainsets are scheduled to enter service on the Chicago-Milwaukee Hiawatha Corridor. I imagine this would free up perhaps a dozen single level cars for reassignment elsewhere on corridor services. A 3-4 car 2nd Pere Marquette trainset could be made out of that equipment, with the remainder adding capacity on existing routes, BUT, it would no doubt be contingent on supplemental funding from MDOT much like what the current PM and Blue Water receive now. A support letter to your state Senator and Representative and MDOT might be in order.

New single level cars will begin to arrive in 2013, but these are for long-distance service. New two-level Surfliner style cars are going to begin to arrive for most Midwest routes in 2015-2016, but I think only enough to expand capacity on current runs, not add new frequencies.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:I think they could, but it might be pushing it. I'm not sure about the equipment situation out of Chicago but I could see a 3 car superliner train or 4 car single level cars. As for locos they should be good because they can use the NPCUs.
Not really sure about that. From a lot of Amtrak people I know, the equipment is already stretched quite a bit. Having to turn the equipment around fast enough seems to be where things get gummed up especially in Chicago. Don't forget we are not talking about 1940's railroading here where every railroad had Thru Service Passenger cars on select routes. I have noticed that Wolverine equipment can stay the same and then they swap out locomotives, but I would say that the majority of the cars Amtrak owns are out in service.

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

TrainWatcher wrote:but I would say that the majority of the cars Amtrak owns are out in service.
:?: :?: :?: :?:

tadman
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by tadman »

The PM has been quite long lately - I've seen some five-car trains. I haven't seen one with a cafe, though, and I wonder if it's just to be a cart like the Hiawatha has on weekdays. I have heard that equipment is still stretched, and will probably continue to be until the midwest bilevels come on line in a few years. The Wisco Talgos are at a standstill - their state gov't has determined it's more costly to operate them than continue to lease the Horizon sets from Amtrak, due to maintenance reasons, including the need to build a new shop in MKE and the need for a riding technician on each train.

It would be great to see more frequency into Chicago from Michigan, though, especially west Michigan. West Michigan has a thriving tourist economy from Chicagoans, so another NLS-CHI or St. Joe-CHI train would make a lot of sense. It would allow those towns to develop their tax base as bedroom communities and summer communities.

I'll have to pick up a copy at CUS later this week.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

I think it might be better to add a seasonal second 371/370. Say May-September. That would cover most of the tourist season (start Memerial Day Weeked, cease after Labor Day Weekend). They could also add the second time for the other major hoildays, but that could get hairy because that is really a time where equipement is streched to capacity---the PM often ends up with single levels because the Supers are needed on the western long distance trains. My guess would be a schedule with both a day and night departure from GR and Chicago, and meet on the double track in BH...

Just an idea/speculation...
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

C30-7A
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by C30-7A »

Okay, a couple of things:
1. For Jim and Jon, Nathan brought up the important point about the second Pere Marquette. That would entirely contingent on the state of Michigan increasing the subsidy for this service. There is no way that Amtrak is going to touch that on their own in this state of congressional starvation. Call or write your state congresspeople and ask. If the demand is shown, they may very well listen.
2. The Pere Marquette's cafe is a Superliner snack coach. The upper level is standard coach seating, while the lower level is the cafe. This is generally the middle car on the train. The Pere Marquette never had a snack cart, btw, but a limited number of sundries was kept on a shelf in one of the coaches when the train was a single-level all coach train. The Superliners are on the train now partly due to the stimulus funds, but mostly as a request from the state of Michigan. The Blue Water had them too, until upper class snobs in East Lansing complained of the lack of business class, which brought the Horizons and Amfleets back.
3. The time change for the Sunset Limited was done with the intention of speeding a turnaround of train 2 to train 1 and freeing up an entire set of equipment for use elsewhere. However, unless the New Orleans Terminal has gone on a hiring spree, this was reportedly not possible do to the NOL terminal being understaffed for the new schedule. While the hope of increasing operational efficiency has been dashed, the new times in Arizona and eastern Texas, as well as the departure from Los Angeles in the evening make the train much more attractive to many travelers. The only downside is the 5:35am arrival of train 1 into LAUPT, but passengers are allowed at least an hour and a half to remain onboard the train after arrival.
If you can fly don't stop at the sky, 'cause there's footprints on the moon.

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:
TrainWatcher wrote:but I would say that the majority of the cars Amtrak owns are out in service.
ok i did a quick amtrak equpitment (passenger coach) summary using this website that was updated on may first, i did not include acela coaches, california coaches, or cascade coaches.

http://on-track-on-line.com/amtk-roster ... #Amfleet-I

stored is ## and active is ##

Single level
cab cars- 1 / 18
amfleet II's- 4 / 155
horizon- 4 / 95
viewliner- 1 / 50

Superliner I's
coach/ baggage- 3 / 44
sleeper- 8 / 61
lounge- 3 / 21
auto train lounge- 1 / 5
coaches- 28 / 73
snack- 1 / 8
dinner/lounge- 1 / 15
diner- 21 / 13

Superliner II's
sleeper- 2 / 46
lounge- 1 / 23
coach- 8 / 29

Totals

Superliners- 77 / 338
(415 total coaches)

Single levels- 10 / 318
(328 total coaches)

Grand Total

87 / 656

13% of amtrak coaches are stored

this list should be pretty close to the actual numbers of stored cars

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:
YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:
ok i did a quick amtrak equpitment (passenger coach) summary using this website that was updated on may first, i did not include acela coaches, california coaches, or cascade coaches.

http://on-track-on-line.com/amtk-roster ... #Amfleet-I

stored is ## and active is ##

Single level
cab cars- 1 / 18
amfleet II's- 4 / 155
horizon- 4 / 95
viewliner- 1 / 50

Superliner I's
coach/ baggage- 3 / 44
sleeper- 8 / 61
lounge- 3 / 21
auto train lounge- 1 / 5
coaches- 28 / 73
snack- 1 / 8
dinner/lounge- 1 / 15
diner- 21 / 13

Superliner II's
sleeper- 2 / 46
lounge- 1 / 23
coach- 8 / 29

Totals

Superliners- 77 / 338
(415 total coaches)

Single levels- 10 / 318
(328 total coaches)

Grand Total

87 / 656

13% of amtrak coaches are stored

this list should be pretty close to the actual numbers of stored cars
Exactly my point, 87% of the Amtrak fleet is running around, that's pretty darn good considering what they are working with.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

So wanting Business class makes someone a snob? Wow.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

SD80MAC wrote:So wanting Business class makes someone a snob? Wow.
It's only $9 To upgrade to/from Battle Creek - Chicago. $9 isn't too snobbish I don't figure. Just about anyone who could afford the rail fare could probably pop for the extra $9. $9 That gets you a free non alcoholic drink and a newspaper you can buy that on your own in the cafe for $2. Usually in business class you have to sit next to someone. I've never had to sit next to anyone in coach. Almost always have the whole row to myself. I usually just do coach anymore. Not worth it.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

tadman
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by tadman »

If and when corridor service gets to be reliable, a serious business class might be worth the effort - IE 2+1 seating, hot meals, fast wifi, etc.. with an upgrade price of $30-40. If you recall, legacy railroad passenger traffic was largely business travelers, or that's at least where they made money.

dmitzel
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dmitzel »

I heard about the Lansing "complainers" regarding 364-364 and Business Class, or lack thereof. Personally, I'm cheesed-off that the Superliners were pulled from the Bluewater. Biz class is consistently sold-out, and then you're in for a "treat" riding the Horizon coaches. At least with the bi-level equipment you were guaranteed a comfortable, long-distance seat and a good view. Now if you book close in, you're darn lucky to find biz class available.

Case in point, I found out this week I need to be in Chicago a week from Monday. No biz class available from LPE, so I need to ride coach both ways. No problem if it was a Superliner coach - heck, I'd prefer that - but banished to a Horizon commuter-car instead. Hate those tight pitch seats, but while better than on Delta it's still six hours on Amtrak.
D.M. Mitzel
Div. 8-NCR-NMRA
Oxford, Mich.

C30-7A
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by C30-7A »

dmitzel wrote:I heard about the Lansing "complainers" regarding 364-364 and Business Class, or lack thereof. Personally, I'm cheesed-off that the Superliners were pulled from the Bluewater. Biz class is consistently sold-out, and then you're in for a "treat" riding the Horizon coaches. At least with the bi-level equipment you were guaranteed a comfortable, long-distance seat and a good view. Now if you book close in, you're darn lucky to find biz class available.

Case in point, I found out this week I need to be in Chicago a week from Monday. No biz class available from LPE, so I need to ride coach both ways. No problem if it was a Superliner coach - heck, I'd prefer that - but banished to a Horizon commuter-car instead. Hate those tight pitch seats, but while better than on Delta it's still six hours on Amtrak.
That's exactly the thinking I have too. And as to why I called them snobs, they are not taking advantage of the upgrade to sit in comfier seats (which is what I would do), but rather to reinforce their appearance of being high class and avoid sitting with "those people" (as they often say to the LNS agent). If comfort were the practical thing, Superliners would be just fine and are fine. It's all a status thing, and the rest of the train has to suffer with those terrible seats in the Horizon cars as a result.
If you can fly don't stop at the sky, 'cause there's footprints on the moon.

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

I've never been on a superliner. That being said horizon and amfleet seats seem reasonably comfortable to me. Better than anything the airlines have that is for sure. Are the superliners really that much better?
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

$162 for 5 of us round trip from Birmingham or Royal Oak to Chicago. 6-1/2 hour trip (Is that correct?). The cost is attractive as it is comparable to driving as long as we can get shuttle service to our hotel in Chicago and don't have to take a taxi.

But 6-1/2 hours, does that sound right?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...