The Haywire

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

The Haywire

Unread post by CAT345C »

I just picked up a copy of "The Haywire" a book about the Manistique and Lake Superior Railroad. Does any body have this book or has anybody read it? I'm curious if its going to be a good read.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

SW
Rail Trail Explorer

Re: The Haywire

Unread post by SW »

Heard of it, want to get it. Looking forward to your review.
Owosso Steve

GAP
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GAP »

I own the book but its been quite a while since I have read it. The M&LS was a true U.P. backwoods railroad that sometimes seemed to be held together by "haywire," hence the name. The track arrangement in Manistique seems really unusual and that is because quite a bit of it around the paper mill is left over from the M&LS that the SOO, WC and now CN took over.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

I own a copy. I really enjoyed reading it. I learned a lot about the trails and grades of the central UP. I lent my copy to my brother two years ago and haven't seen it since. He used to work for the US Forest Service in the same area and also learned a lot about why the world looks the way it does.

The book does not have a lot of material but the M&LS was not a big road. Enjoy.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

GAP wrote:The M&LS was a true U.P. backwoods railroad that sometimes seemed to be held together by "haywire," hence the name.
Shortly after DT&I took over AA (1963) the marketing department for DT&I, who of course had major connections with Ford Auto decision makers, lined up an all-rail movement of ore via LS&I - M&LS (via ferry) AA - DT&I. It amounted to 40 cars per day, 7 days per week. AA had to MU one of its RS1's and send it over to M&LS to work with their S3 to handle the loads. In the short time the ore traveled this route (about 2 years, 66-67 IIRC) it beat the track to death. As soon as the ore traffic stopped the M&LS was abandoned.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Finally made it back to my house after two weeks on the road to get the book. I glanced at it quickly it seems like there is a lot of great information! AARR I think you would enjoy this book a lot! Today I'm on my way to Texas so when I get settled down I'll read through it fully.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

CAT345C wrote:AARR I think you would enjoy this book a lot!
Thanks for the recommendation. It's on my list of books to buy...eventually.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MP73point4
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MP73point4 »

Here's a couple passes from the M&LS.
I think the 1910 pass is the first year as they were created in July of 1909 from the Manistique & Northern and the M&N had already issued a 1909 pass.
You can see the background of the 1925 is the Ann Arbor "A" in a circle as they had been under the control of the Ann Arbor since 1911.
I believe 1926 was the last year of an indepensent M&LS pass. In 1927 they were part of the Ann Arbor Railroad's passes as shown on the third example.
As shown on the fourth example, M&LS showed up on the Ann Arbor passes until it was abandon in 1968. I have not seen any Ann Arbor passes issued between 1945-46 and the 1964-67 one shown.
The Haywire book is a good read too. Don't pay full price. I think I got a copy on Amazon for something reasonable.

RR Pass Collector