Escanaba

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

Escanaba

Unread post by jimnorthwood »

A friend is headed for Escanaba, and wondered where to go to try to catch the E&LS. Is there anything to see in Channing? How often do they run south towards Green Bay? Does the F unit they are using tend to hang out in any particular place? Do they still use one of the Baldwin switchers anywhere? Thanks for any help you can provide.

GAP
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Escanaba

Unread post by GAP »

There is a public boat launching site in Escanaba (Wells) that is directly next to the E&LS where the dead Baldwins are stored. A chain-link fence is there but the engines are very visible. Highway M-95 runs parallel to the yard in Channing. Also US-2 runs right along the CN yard in Gladstone where a SOO Line 4-6-2 in on display.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

I read at another website that E&LS tends to run Channing-Green Bay once a week these days (Tends to be Thursday but can vary). But they must be doing some switching around Channing almost every day as one of the engineers says they are busy almost every day.

I think at least one of the Baldwins is still operational but it must stay around Escanaba these days as the SD40-2's and GP38's handle the road jobs while a SW is usually on the M&M Branch.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jimnorthwood »

Much appreciated, AARR and GAP. Thanks to both.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Its a crap shoot around Wells as to what power they will be using. I've seen the SW, then a GP38/Sd9, and I've heard they have been using the Baldwin a lot this year too. Depends on what the power is and who is running I suppose.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

ikeabc123
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ikeabc123 »

Go a few miles north to Gladstone and watch CN. They operate there all the time.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

From Jim Elbe at MIRR.com
A newly painted CITX SW1500 headed north from Green Bay early this am bound for somewhere around Esky. If anyome sees it around up there could you post? Thanks.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Tom Train
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tom Train »

M-95 parallels the ELS from Channing south most of the way to Iron Mountain. U.S. 141 on the east side of Iron Mountain follows the ELS much of the way to Green Bay.
Plenty of stored cars to be seen along the ELS north of Channing to and beyond Silver Lake alon m-95 as wells both directions from Sidnaw. Also south of Sagola near Iron Mtn, and along U.S.-141 in Wisconsin.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Tom Train wrote:M-95 parallels the ELS from Channing south most of the way to Iron Mountain. U.S. 141 on the east side of Iron Mountain follows the ELS much of the way to Green Bay.
Plenty of stored cars to be seen along the ELS north of Channing to and beyond Silver Lake alon m-95 as wells both directions from Sidnaw. Also south of Sagola near Iron Mtn, and along U.S.-141 in Wisconsin.
One of the E&LS engineers who posts at MIRR.com said they have to move several miles of stored freight cars sometimes to reach a block of cars being called back. One of lines they store cars on (the original Wells to Channing line) lacks usable sidings so long blocks of cars have to be pulled to Channing, placed on other tracks, grab the block being called back, then replace the original cars back on line. It can take a full day sometimes to do so.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

AARR wrote:From Jim Elbe at MIRR.com
A newly painted CITX SW1500 headed north from Green Bay early this am bound for somewhere around Esky. If anyome sees it around up there could you post? Thanks.
Can somebody trace this, it may be headed a bit north of Gladstone.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e