Peaker Service Pick Up

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

Peaker Service Pick Up

Unread post by BL2-1843 »

I heard about a week ago that the Lansing Board of Water and Light switcher, (or ex LBWL) now lettered GSLX 796, (ex GTW 7232 I believe) the one that went to Peaker Services back on April 21st was ready to be picked up. Not sure what they did do it, or if it was possibly painted too, which sure needed it as it was filthy full of coal, and coal dust.

I am not sure how it was worded, or who ordered it but todays Q33528 was instructed to pick up a locomotive at Brighton. Crew thought it was in the passing siding, RN thought it was on a spur track. Fact is, there are no more spur tracks in Brighton. Crew tied down their train at Rickett Road and came into Brighton looking for it, but by golly there is no locomotive there. My only guess was that it was the GSLX switcher at Peakers that was supposed to be picked up there. Needless to say, it did not get picked up. Nobody on D708 is qualited to go east of Ann Pere anymore and had they had to make special arrangements to get it there. CSX fixed that problem, as they had a road train pick it up when ready to go back west. Problem was, they forgot to add "at Peaker Services" on the note. That little small incidental cost them 90 minutes of their time, or they would have made it to GRP without any problem, or having a yard job come at fetch them.

Parts of this was reprinted here from todays Train Location heads up link.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: Peaker Service Pick Up

Unread post by Saturnalia »

So where is the unit now?
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

MQT3001 wrote:So where is the unit now?
Needless to say, it did not get picked up
Pretty safe to say it's still at Peaker in Green Oak hoping Q33529 will pick it up.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

gonzojoe
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by gonzojoe »

_00_0101 by [url=http:/Image
_00_0102 by gonzojoe146, on Flickr/www.flickr.com/people/gonzojoe146/]gonzojoe146[/url], on Flickr, Bob, I think I found it! Someone call the dispatcher.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

IIRC the truss plant east of Brighton that was very busy 10 short years ago is either closed or no longer receives rail service
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

gonzojoe
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by gonzojoe »

AARR, those pictures are actually from Pine Lumber when I worked there a century ago.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Doktor No wrote:I see Q33528 made the pickup this morning. Only took em 2:15 to do it. I could hear the whining from Rockford! "We're not qualified, we never been there, we don't know where it is, we can't find it......is there a derail...its a LOCOMOTIVE! I've never hooked up one of those, the brakes look dirty, are the wheels round? who put this here?"
You da man Dok! :lol:
Bottom text.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

Doktor No wrote:So THATS what happened to 335 yesterday. Doesn't surpise me one bit.
Rather then go on about abilities of this company to foul up the most simple of procedures...I'll just stop right nere.
Bye.
Oh yeah, one more thing..."Ya gotta KNOW the territory."
Are you saying that someone sitting in J-ville isn't intimately familiar with a rail line that's only 1000 miles away? Unbelievable. :roll:

Typhoon
Rock you like a Hurricane

Unread post by Typhoon »

Standard Railfan wrote:
Doktor No wrote:So THATS what happened to 335 yesterday. Doesn't surpise me one bit.
Rather then go on about abilities of this company to foul up the most simple of procedures...I'll just stop right nere.
Bye.
Oh yeah, one more thing..."Ya gotta KNOW the territory."
Are you saying that someone sitting in J-ville isn't intimately familiar with a rail line that's only 1000 miles away? Unbelievable. :roll:
Jacksonville had nothing to do with it :roll:. The TM in charge of the area is clueless.

CharlieX90
Back from "Vacation"

Unread post by CharlieX90 »

The unit is now on CN M391 out of Flatrock heading back toward Lansing. Makes so much sense lol

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

CharlieX90 wrote:The unit is now on CN M391 out of Flatrock heading back toward Lansing. Makes so much sense lol
Anyone know where the unit is headed?

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

MQT3001 wrote:
CharlieX90 wrote:The unit is now on CN M391 out of Flatrock heading back toward Lansing. Makes so much sense lol
Maybe Lansing Board of Water & Light? They have two plants in Lansing. The downtown plant was using a SW1 (IIRC) and the plant on the west side a GP7 or 9.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

AARR wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:
Maybe Lansing Board of Water & Light? They have two plants in Lansing. The downtown plant was using a SW1 (IIRC) and the plant on the west side a GP7 or 9.
Okay, I'm confused :oops:

It started ______.
It was picked up where?
Went to GRP on Q335
Then.....? (route)

CharlieX90
Back from "Vacation"

Unread post by CharlieX90 »

It ended up in Toledo on Q334 and then CN Flatrock yard south of Detroit.

Typhoon
Rock you like a Hurricane

Unread post by Typhoon »

I don't see what doesn't make sense for someone that understands things :roll: ...The switch for Peaker is west facing only, so it has to be picked up by a westbound. The only westbound that goes that way goes to Grand Rapids, so that is where the unit went. The unit is destined for the power plant on the CN in Lansing. Since CSX does not interchange with the CN at Lansing, it has to go to the nearest CN interchange, either Chicago or Toledo. The CN did not want the car at Kirk, so to Toledo it went.

bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bctrainfan »

This sounds like the makings of a kid's book.....maybe "The Little Lost Switcher" "He waited and and waited all alone, while the big shiny CSX trains kept passing him by. "Why wont they stop and take me home!" he cried. :mrgreen:

bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bctrainfan »

Looks like CN has befriended the "Little Lost Switcher," its in Battle Creek now tied on to a train (did not get the train symbol, lead power is CN 2231) headed back to Lansing sometime this morning, has had quite the journey it appears, and is finally headed home! :D

MP73point4
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MP73point4 »

From another thread, the unit below (SW-9 1207) has been at the BWL Eckert Station (off Washington) since 796 left. I wonder if this unit was a temporary replacement?
The Erickson station (off Canal) has an ex-GTW/D&TSL GP-7 that is usually kept indoors. Plant is gated so unit is hard to photograph.
RR Pass Collector

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

Since it was brought up, I have a question about the GP-7 or GP-9 (likely a 7), that is used in Lansing that is of D&TSL heritage. Which unit was this when it was on the D&TSL?

MP73point4
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MP73point4 »

My previous post about the BWL Erickson plant currently having an ex D&TSL unit was incorrect. That unit has been gone for quite some time. Not sure the heritage of the unit that is currently at the Erickson plant. I'll have to work on that.
The ex D&TSL unit that was there at one time was ex D&TSL GP7 42/GTW 6042 then BWL 799. It was sold to Larry's Truck & Electric in the early 2000s.
RR Pass Collector