Sterling Secondary Trackwork

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Sterling Secondary Trackwork

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

NS 5529 had a work train that was setting out ties in Warren next to the Old Tank plant today with 7 UFTX gondolas. They cleared into the tank plant siding to let NS 121 pass around 3:30pm. I heard they will be replacing ties all the way up to 18 Mile all into next week.

Last edited by ConrailDetr​oit on Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Re: Sterling Secondary Trackwork

Unread post by AARR »

I wonder when those "gondola's were built (for coal) if they ever thought someday they would be used to MOW service (usually covered by flat cars and "true" gondola's.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bctrainfan »

Amazing how they climb up on those gons with a backhoe, how did anyone even think of that in the first place? I am betting that rednecks and alcohol were somehow involved. "Hey, BillyBob, watch this!" :mrgreen:

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

I gotta wonder how stable that is, when I was doing track work running a backhoe it was a bit unstable straddling the rails and putting ties in. I could pick up 5 with the thumb and carefully move them to the side. I assume that thing must clamp to the car some how.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

No clamp, just the weight of the machine. A very stable work platform . Believe it or not. AND operated by outside contractors with the train crew provided by Conrail.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Wasn't the Litchfield power plant (on the Indiana Northeastern) using a variation of this backhoe (with a coal-optimized bucket) to unload coal cars?
~ Charles W.

bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Not sure about Litchfield, but it would be quite possible, seen pictures of them with different buckets/attachments for unloading all kinds of bulk stuff from gons or open hoppers using these or a regular backhoe.

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

I saw this train sitting in Mound Yard this past Friday, but was uncertain which direction they were headed next. Have all the ties been set out for the work north of Mound Road?
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

MKT_fan11 wrote:Wasn't the Litchfield power plant (on the Indiana Northeastern) using a variation of this backhoe (with a coal-optimized bucket) to unload coal cars?
Yes, I was told they unloaded 20 cars in 12 hours on average.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Chrisracer8903 wrote:I saw this train sitting in Mound Yard this past Friday, but was uncertain which direction they were headed next. Have all the ties been set out for the work north of Mound Road?
As of 4pm yesterday it looks like they have not been north of 12 Mile.

bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

I was reading the RJ Corman site, and was reminded of the pics above with the backhoe on the gons, seems old RJ started his huge RR empire in 1973 with one backhoe used like the one in the pics. You might say his company had a little growth since then! :shock:

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

bctrainfan wrote:I was reading the RJ Corman site, and was reminded of the pics above with the backhoe on the gons, seems old RJ started his huge RR empire in 1973 with one backhoe used like the one in the pics. You might say his company had a little growth since then! :shock:
There was a nice article in Trains magazine about RJ Corman a while back (within the last year maybe?).

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

AARR wrote:
bctrainfan wrote:I was reading the RJ Corman site, and was reminded of the pics above with the backhoe on the gons, seems old RJ started his huge RR empire in 1973 with one backhoe used like the one in the pics. You might say his company had a little growth since then! :shock:
There was a nice article in Trains magazine about RJ Corman a while back (within the last year maybe?).
You might be thinking about the piece on the shouthauls Corman does. That was the September Issue.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

The work train was by CP Bonita getting a Form D to Andrew around 4:30pm. They are going to be replacing alot of ties as Sterling Secondary has plenty of new ones sitting along the ROW.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Setting out ties just south 15 Mile now. Some track equipment was working behind them.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

FD63 with NS 5529 had about 20 CR ballast hoppers today and were dumping ballast south Andrew today. They were blocking 16 Mile around 1pm waiting for NS 121 to clear a route for them into Sterling Yard. Then they went to set out more ballast south of 18 Mile then backed the train into the yard. The crossing at 18.5 Mile was also getting worked on today.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Tie replacement has started north of CP Bonita. They were working around 6 Mile today.

kurt19d
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by kurt19d »

All of that equipment was parked on the Tank Plant siding the past two mornings. Around 6:45 am today there was a large group of operators huddled together having a meeting. Lots of equipment. Took up the siding from the TACOM access road crossing to the north end.

mike nowakowski
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mike nowakowski »

I was watching them work North of 12 Mile road today, good thing to distract you from work lol
Love all class 1 railroads in USA and Canada, and short lines in michigan

Please, Check out my youtube acount its http://www.youtube.com/MTNRailProductions

Train Stuff and pictures and such: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikenowakowski/

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Yesterday 10/17 at 5pm, An NS engine was pulling all of the track equipment SB through Warren.

Today a Flatbead truck with a crane on the back was picking up some of the new ties set off for replacement north of 18 Mile. Dont know why, maybe too many where set off. Conrail Maintainers were at the 18.5 Mile crossing.