Muskegon railroading in decline

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Muskegon railroading in decline

Unread post by railohio »

Served by three national railroads that employed more the 200 men in 1938, Muskegon is now home to one short line, the Michigan Shore Railroad, which has about one-hundredth the work force of decades past.
Story: http://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/inde ... d_ser.html
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Muskegon railroading in decline

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

Interesting article. We don't often see the names of the men who ran the businesses. It is easy to overlook the people when we look at photos of trains, locomotives, and facilities.

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

I like the comment on the bottom, "we have very little need for rail service in this country today." HA! Yeah, lets axe it and see what he says when he's sitting in a traffic jam from Chicago to Texas...

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

birchtree11
very little need for a rail system today in this country-
Ignorance like this baffles me.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

IIRC sand was a big customer for GTW back in the 50's when they shipped many carloads in gondolas which the wind would blow much of the top layers of sand off the open top gondolas along the ROW from Muskegon to Detroit before the days of putting tarps over open loads :lol:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...