CPOX 820

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
KenB
Railroadfan...fan

CPOX 820

Unread post by KenB »

I see CPOX 820, an empty schnable, car is on the interchange track at AnnPiere in Howell, MI. Looks to be going to the Great Lakes Central from the CSXT. Any idea where it is going?

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Re: CPOX 820

Unread post by GLC 392 »

Should go to Consumers in Alma.

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

Unread post by BL2-1843 »

KenB wrote:I see CPOX 820, an empty schnable, car is on the interchange track at AnnPiere in Howell, MI. Looks to be going to the Great Lakes Central from the CSXT. Any idea where it is going?
There has been a car there since Wednesday at least that CSX was supposed to pick up then, and then did not pick up anything, OR, set off of Friday period because of various reasons despite D708 being there. Perhaps this is the car and going to CSX, not the other way. CSX had ten regular set off cars for GLC Friday, but just turned around and went back to Ensel without doing anything.

NYCMan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NYCMan »

Interchange delivered by GLC to CSX at Ann Pere on December 18 at 7:45 PM. Empty, enroute to RINCON, GA.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

NYCMan wrote:Interchange delivered by GLC to CSX at Ann Pere on December 18 at 7:45 PM. Empty, enroute to RINCON, GA.
Can we just get the GLC and the AA merged into one company again. That way the interchange at AnnPere can be eliminated and all interchange between CSX and the AA-GLC can take place in Toledo. It is sad how bad the interchange at Ann Pere has been. I recall about 20 years ago listening to the scanner when one of the railroads was supposed to pick up a hazardous chemical load, and got there to find the other railroad had forgotten to drop it off. It was a special move from what I recall, and the car wasn't there.

I would much rather see it be one railroad anyway, instead of the current two. I don't know that operations would change much, except for the fact interchanges could be streamline (hopefully).

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

Unread post by BL2-1843 »

chapmaja wrote:
NYCMan wrote:Interchange delivered by GLC to CSX at Ann Pere on December 18 at 7:45 PM. Empty, enroute to RINCON, GA.
Can we just get the GLC and the AA merged into one company again. That way the interchange at AnnPere can be eliminated and all interchange between CSX and the AA-GLC can take place in Toledo. It is sad how bad the interchange at Ann Pere has been.
Agree, Agree, Agree. All cars set off by GLC including the CPOX car sat off nine days ago still sits there. D708's train turned at Fowlerville last night after TWO CREWS and 24 hours of time could not get their train beyond Fowlerville and as of 16:40 Thursday, D708 is still at Webberville and has informed the RN dispatcher they will either have to have another recrew tonight to get to Ann Pere or turn at Fowlerville AGAIN.

There is "always" (so they say) a legitimate reason why they can't get there, when they don't, but this is getting pathetic once again. Oh, they ARE getting another recrew tonight, which doesnt say much as last nights recrew did nothing but taxi from GRP to Fowlerville, switch Thermofil, and then turned the train around and went back to Ensel too. Anyone want to bet if they get to Ann Pere tonight. Not me!

Typhoon
Rock you like a Hurricane

Unread post by Typhoon »

Sigh.......Maybe if the GLC had sent the proper paperwork on a restricted car, it would not still be sitting there.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

Typhoon wrote:Sigh.......Maybe if the GLC had sent the proper paperwork on a restricted car, it would not still be sitting there.
Even if that is the reason that one car is sitting there, it doesn't explain the long waits for the other cars. Not to mention the fact that over the course of 9 days, a paperwork error should be corrected. Maybe some blame does fall upon the GLC for a paperwork error on this car, but I'm sure there is blame both ways.

One thing I found in years of dealing with large companies is this. Often times they are too big to know their arses from a hole in the ground. I think CSX, as well as many other large railroads fit this bill. CSX has a proven track record of being difficult to work with for shortline railroads, as do the other Class 1 railroads. Shortline interchanges don't really matter unless it is the interchange of a unit grain train, then everything has to be handled on time.

Typhoon

Unread post by Typhoon »

chapmaja wrote:
Typhoon wrote:Sigh.......Maybe if the GLC had sent the proper paperwork on a restricted car, it would not still be sitting there.
Even if that is the reason that one car is sitting there, it doesn't explain the long waits for the other cars.
Sure it does. From what I understand, they CPOX is the 1st out car in the interchange track. A CSX crew is not going to touch a restricted car without proper paperwork, unless they don't want to have a job for a while. That includes moving it to get to the other cars. Combined with this being a holiday week, and you have a car that is not cleared to move until Friday. Even an empty car of this type has restrictions and must be cleared by the Chief before movement.
Last edited by Typhoon on Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

chapmaja wrote:
Even if that is the reason that one car is sitting there, it doesn't explain the long waits for the other cars.
My guess is to get to those other cars requires moving said restricted load, and the crews might be barred from doing so. Not to mention the fact D708 is running amuck.

That being said, I find it amazing they cannot switch a couple of online customers in 12 hours time. Ensel is at milepost 89, AnnPere at 53, so it's not like they're 1,000 miles away. I guess the Ensel work might bog them down, I'm not expert it the regard.

D700 runs over 100 miles EACH WAY when they pay a visit to Livingston, 3 times per week. Plus actually switching online customers. Granted, there are not very many, usually only 3, customers to switch, but it takes considerable time just getting there. And they hardly ever need re-crewing.

Again, my observations are not those of an insider, but as an observer.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

MQT3001 wrote:
chapmaja wrote:
My guess is to get to those other cars requires moving said restricted load, and the crews might be barred from doing so. Not to mention the fact D708 is running amuck.

That being said, I find it amazing they cannot switch a couple of online customers in 12 hours time. Ensel is at milepost 89, AnnPere at 53, so it's not like they're 1,000 miles away. I guess the Ensel work might bog them down, I'm not expert it the regard.

D700 runs over 100 miles EACH WAY when they pay a visit to Livingston, 3 times per week. Plus actually switching online customers. Granted, there are not very many, usually only 3, customers to switch, but it takes considerable time just getting there. And they hardly ever need re-crewing.

Again, my observations are not those of an insider, but as an observer.
Probably doesn't help the fact they have to switch Asahi-Kasei all the frickin' time and spend 5+ hours spotting their cars in the correct positions in the plant. Everytime I go past Fowlerville, I always see D708 "dead" on the siding by the plant. CSX would probably operate better if they only needed to switch the cars and take off without switching for the plant itself.

That place should have re-designed for a better rail system before they expanded to their current operations. I tried offering interplant switching services to them at my previous job, but they couldn't nor did they want to because the plant's switches are so close to the main that any switching would require the CSX trackage for head-room. There is not even space to place an escape track or store a plant switcher.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Chrisracer8903 wrote:Probably doesn't help the fact they have to switch Asahi-Kasei all the frickin' time and spend 5+ hours spotting their cars in the correct positions in the plant. Everytime I go past Fowlerville, I always see D708 "dead" on the siding by the plant. CSX would probably operate better if they only needed to switch the cars and take off without switching for the plant itself.

That place should have re-designed for a better rail system before they expanded to their current operations. I tried offering interplant switching services to them at my previous job, but they couldn't nor did they want to because the plant's switches are so close to the main that any switching would require the CSX trackage for head-room. There is not even space to place an escape track or store a plant switcher.
There are places like that everywhere. It sure is a pain in the ass. I know of one place on the I&O that's especially bad.
Bottom text.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

chapmaja wrote:One thing I found in years of dealing with large companies is this. Often times they are too big to know their arses from a hole in the ground.
Large organziations are usually highly procedural and legal. It's very difficult to get them to think outside the box. It's also very difficult to get someone to go against a company policy even if said policy does not make sense. However, big organizations have tremondous effencies of scale and can make money on the volume. If you are a customer who fits into the big companies model you can benefit but if you require any special handling probably not so much.

Problem short lines deal with is they can provide their clients with flexible service to meet specific needs but most of the time at some point they depned on Class 1 and that's where problems can develop.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

gonzojoe
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by gonzojoe »

So, is CPOX 820 still at Ann Pere or not?

Typhoon

Unread post by Typhoon »

gonzojoe wrote:So, is CPOX 820 still at Ann Pere or not?

No, it is gone

For the merge the short lines together for better service crowd, the GLC did not give paperwork on the car until the 26th. The car also had to be inspected by a member of the car department before being permitted to be switched by a CSX crew.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Well lookee what I spotted this morning in Wyoming Yard...

:)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

It went Eastbound through Lansing about 8:00 pm on Sunday

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Dan Cluley wrote:It went Eastbound through Lansing about 8:00 pm on Sunday
So it was picked up by the Lansing local, then moved from Lansing to Grand Rapids by another local, then goes back east past Lansing and AnnPere? It's not that big a deal, I guess, back tracking 100-150 miles (whatever it is) but I find it interesting how cars are routed. Especially on Class 1's.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

AARR wrote:
Dan Cluley wrote:It went Eastbound through Lansing about 8:00 pm on Sunday
So it was picked up by the Lansing local, then moved from Lansing to Grand Rapids by another local, then goes back east past Lansing and AnnPere? It's not that big a deal, I guess, back tracking 100-150 miles (whatever it is) but I find it interesting how cars are routed. Especially on Class 1's.
Yes, D708 to Lansing, D707 to Grand Rapids, then Q334 to Toledo. Seems silly, but for whatever reason they don't want 334 or 335 to make any pick ups/set outs enroute.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Here is a picture of a loaded CPOX 820 in Texas:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:CPOX820.jpg

For those who may not know, CPOX 820 is owned by Consumer Energy.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow