'new' Huron & Eastern power?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

'new' Huron & Eastern power?

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

Per a post on Trainorders, http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/r ... ?2,2959446 a pair of one time CN GP40-2LW's, now lettered for Knoxville & Holston River RR are destined for the Huron & Eastern RR. They arrived at CSX's Stanley yard today on train Q512. For those without Trainorders memberships, the following link will provide access to viewable pictures of both units. http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/Locopi ... ?id=109284
If this is the case, I'd guess that the locomotives were purchased by G&W to replace some of the existing Huron & Eastern power, as I do not believe that the Knoxville & Holston River is a G&W property.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Re: 'new' Huron & Eastern power?

Unread post by midland sub »

G&W does not lease power so they had to have purchased them from the G&O. The question is are they going to the H&E for use or somewhere else that the H&E connects to. I guess we will see where they end up at. As I said in an another thread, it's interesting that the I&O-CFE-CIND are getting or already have a G&W painted loco(s). But no one has heard anything about the Michigan lines getting anything in G&W paint.

There was a G&W family loco that pasted eastbound thru Cincy and Columbus on Friday. The new Columbus and Chat. Railroad down in Alabama. Nothing traces for any of their locos being offline so its anyone's guess of what it was. The I&O is supposed to be getting another SD40-2 along with the OC tunnel motor.

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

HESR still needs to replace a few of the 4 axles units. The 1471 is down in Bay City still, plus no four axle units have really replaced the 8903 and 8905 yet also.

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

Im not sure but the 5492 has been sitting behind the shop in Bay City it was back there Christmas Day i wonder if that's been retired to. Or has anybody seen it running since then. Speaking of the 1471 i was going threw my old pics, The last picture i took of the 1471 still running was back in the summer of 2008. It seems a lot of the HESR power has been retired since then with only the 2668 and the 2661 to replace it. You would figure that eventually G&W-RA would have to start replacing it. I think the last units to arrive before the SD40M-2's where the 3826 and the 3852, And those have been on the property for several years now.

pbmaxno15
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pbmaxno15 »

Pictures as of December 7th have 9519 with Wiregrass Central markings, and both units operating on the WGCR, which was an RA property.

AC60CW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AC60CW »

I like the way those look. Mostly due to them being out of the norm from the average EMDs of that era.
Avatar image use with permission of Elmo Bass http://elmo.rrpicturearchives.net/

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

AC60CW wrote:I like the way those look. Mostly due to them being out of the norm from the average EMDs of that era.
IIRC CN order the first "wide nose" engines with its batch of GP38-2's in 1972 or 73. The 40-2's came shortly afterwards.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Didn't know RA even acquired the Wiregrass Central. Learn something new everyday!

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

That clears things up quite a bit. Thanks! Took the initials off the 9580, as (at least on the side that I saw while looking out the window) the 9519 didn't have any other markings than the G&O paint.
pbmaxno15 wrote:Pictures as of December 7th have 9519 with Wiregrass Central markings, and both units operating on the WGCR, which was an RA property.

SD40-2
Canada Eh!

Unread post by SD40-2 »

midland sub wrote:G&W does not lease power so they had to have purchased them from the G&O. The question is are they going to the H&E for use or somewhere else that the H&E connects to. I guess we will see where they end up at. As I said in an another thread, it's interesting that the I&O-CFE-CIND are getting or already have a G&W painted loco(s). But no one has heard anything about the Michigan lines getting anything in G&W paint.

There was a G&W family loco that pasted eastbound thru Cincy and Columbus on Friday. The new Columbus and Chat. Railroad down in Alabama. Nothing traces for any of their locos being offline so its anyone's guess of what it was. The I&O is supposed to be getting another SD40-2 along with the OC tunnel motor.

you sure that G&W does not lease ?
BPRR had a few HLCX SD40-2's kicking around this past summer

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

Just off the top of my head BP had hlcx sd40's and the emlx sd90's its not that they dont lease, they just perfer to own.

bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bctrainfan »

Somewhere here on another thread I just saw new pics of the new units enr to HESR, but danged if I can find 'em again! :roll:
Perhaps someone else knows and can link them here?

EDIT: I think it was a full size version of the pic on the Trainorders post...

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

There's a link to rrpicturearchives in the first post too that has several full size pictures...
~ Charles W.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Just passing on the kool aide Gospel being spread.

Didn't they buy those HLCX SDs? RA has a lot of junk to replace.

Speaking of those SD90s, where did all of those fine pieces of junk end up? I know the WLE also tried them out.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

midland sub wrote:Speaking of those SD90s, where did all of those fine pieces of junk end up? I know the WLE also tried them out.
IIRC didn't W&LE pretty much park them after a trial run or two or three? They love those SD40's 8)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

BP ad WE both did try them for a while, but a portion ended up stored on the WE and eventually returned them. Now just about all of them have been scrapped with a few being rebuild for FMG in Australia.

BnOEngr
Captain Obvious

Unread post by BnOEngr »

Units were seen on Q322 northbound today. Should be in Flint tonight.
Not that obvious

iKJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iKJames »

BnOEngr wrote:Units were seen on Q322 northbound today. Should be in Flint tonight.
What time of day did the train run today, out of curiosity?

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

iKJames wrote:
BnOEngr wrote:Units were seen on Q322 northbound today. Should be in Flint tonight.
Cleared Plymouth at about 10:15pm.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

iKJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iKJames »

Chrisracer8903 wrote:
iKJames wrote:
Cleared Plymouth at about 10:15pm.
Thanks. Only had to ask since if it'd of been this afternoon or during the day, I'd be disappointed I missed it. Since it's after dark, no big deal for me. ;)