NS 9533 Engine Trouble (Broken Wheel) Gibraltar MI 3/5/13

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Downriverboys
Railroadfan...fan

NS 9533 Engine Trouble (Broken Wheel) Gibraltar MI 3/5/13

Unread post by Downriverboys »

All says it in the video. :D

Comments, ratings, and favoritings on this video are welcome! Remember, mean or vulgar comments will be DELETED. I do NOT tolerate mean or vulgar comments. PLEASE keep them to yourself!
If you violate these rules I've given you, a warring ! Keep them to YOURSELF!

Michigan Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: NS 9533 Engine Trouble (Broken Wheel) Gibraltar MI 3/5/1

Unread post by Michigan Railfan »

I saw the tail end of this train at the Vreeland road crossing (though that was wierd because I've never seen a train parked there), so I went down the Gibraltar road crossing (where I assume this was filmed from) and saw the front of the train. Just thought it had a red signal or something, so I didn't stay... Wish I had now. There wasn't any of the maintenance equipment there at that point yet...

EDIT: Wow... Just realized I was driving behind one of those rerailing trucks on an oversize flatbed... That would explain why he pulled over just before he got to the tracks.
Last edited by Michigan Railfan on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jake
Railroading YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/trainster100
Aviation YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/dtwdelta763

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Downriverboys wrote: If you violate these rules I've given you, a warring ! Keep them to YOURSELF!
Can I have a warring?! Pretty please?!

:twisted:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

J T wrote:
Downriverboys wrote: If you violate these rules I've given you, a warring ! Keep them to YOURSELF!
Can I have a warring?! Pretty please?!

:twisted:
don't take the fun out of RRfight.com :twisted: :lol:
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Whoever says the changing of a traction motor on the mainline is not rare:

[insert your favorite facepalm image here]

Not to be rude, Evan, but I do think you're gonna have a heck of a time backing that statement up. Don't be that guy who says not-so-true things that they can't back up. I know that guy...don't be that guy :wink: :oops:
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MQT3001 wrote:Whoever says the changing of a traction motor on the mainline is not rare:

[insert your favorite facepalm image here]

Not to be rude, Evan, but I do think you're gonna have a heck of a time backing that statement up. Don't be that guy who says not-so-true things that they can't back up. I know that guy...don't be that guy :wink: :oops:
It is pretty rare to tie up a mainline for such a full traction motor change. HOWEVER, bringing Corman out (et al) to get an idler axle in there isn't unheard of on a mainline. They usually try and get the engine to a 'cripple track' before doing such a repair, but if its unsafe to move, then they do it right there. After puting the idler axle in there, they take it to a shop for a real traction motor replacement. If its really bad, and they can't get to it, walking speed from the location to a set off location to make a repair to move it to a shop.

Practice Safe CSX

firemedic54
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by firemedic54 »

Pardon my lack of rail knowledge (insert sarcasm here 8) ) but how does a wheel break on an engine? Given it's size and weight it seems that it would have to run over something fairly heavy to break, assuming that the actual wheel is the broken part.

GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP9R »

The metal can fatigue and crack. Other common problems are an axle will lock up and slide along

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

firemedic54 wrote:Pardon my lack of rail knowledge (insert sarcasm here 8) ) but how does a wheel break on an engine? Given it's size and weight it seems that it would have to run over something fairly heavy to break, assuming that the actual wheel is the broken part.
Someone put a quarter on the track. Remember only use pennies. Quarters are too thick and hard. :lol:

tadman
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by tadman »

A wheel break is just the ultimate manifestation of a problem that's been going on for some time. It's not a sudden incident, it's a slowly developing crack that finally splits in two. If you could look at the wheel, you'd likely see part of the break has a rough pebble grain surface, where the break slowly worked its way in, and then a smooth surface, where the final break happened.