LSRC southbound light on Huron Sub

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Sppengelly
Railroadfan...fan

LSRC southbound light on Huron Sub

Unread post by Sppengelly »

For the past week or two, southbound LSRC trains from Alpena have been few in carload as compared to past years. I have seen fewer stone cars and no cement hoppers what so ever. Today the SB train was running light with no cars in tow. Any idea what is going on with traffic on the Huron Sub? Also, has transloading into boxcars at the roundhouse been occurring lately?

Thanks

LSRC_railfan22
Railroadfan...fan

Re: LSRC southbound light on Huron Sub

Unread post by LSRC_railfan22 »

I seen the light southbound parked at the yard ready to leave. There no trans-loading at this moment. There probably will be a loaded southbound today.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

It seems from what I have read the stone traffic to Flint may have ended. That was more than half of the stone traffic from Alpena.

As for cement most of it leaves Alpena by ship. The rise in cement rail traffic over the years has been a pleasant surprise but usually short-lived when traffic is converted one way or another to ship. For example there was a traffic lane from Alpena to Wixom that was developed a few years back that was averaging 10ish cars a week. LSRC to CSX to Wixom. However, somehow the service was converted to ship from Alpena to Detroit then trucked to Wixom at cheaper rate so bye bye Alpena to Wixom cement traffic. In fact, when Lafarge built their new cement terminal in Detroit and installed a rail spur several years ago from what I hear not a single carload of cement has been delivered there, everything arrives by ship and is distributed by truck.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

CN took out the switch at Schoolcraft to that LaFarge facility. No rail traffic there for 4 years. Spur still there, switch out.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

To the average railfan we see long strings of cement and stone on the Alpena trains and think that they must be rolling in the money. But first of all that is seasonal traffic so for about 3 months a year the equipment and other fixed costs remain but no income. Plus, truck traffic on in-state commodities is very competitive because of the 70ton limit so railroads have to bid very competitive to get the business. I doubt the lines north of Bay City are the cash-cow that the average railfan thinks it is.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

lightning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by lightning »

Plus laFarge bought Essroc in Essexville and that rail traffic has dropped down to "nothing" in the last 10 months!!!
:mrgreen:

GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP9R »

Super Chief wrote:CN took out the switch at Schoolcraft to that LaFarge facility. No rail traffic there for 4 years. Spur still there, switch out.
That has less to do with no cars and more to do with the customer not getting switched

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

AARR wrote:It seems from what I have read the stone traffic to Flint may have ended. That was more than half of the stone traffic from Alpena.
From what I understand, there were 3 destinations for Alpena Stone: Flint, Gaylord/Grayling, and Bay City. G&G was the transload in the yard, Flint from Specification, and I forgot about BC.

Last year was pretty dumpy too. Was hoping a spike with the new construction starts, although IDK if it is as robust up there as it is around Grand Rapids and West Michigan in general.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

From what I have been reading from everyone (Especially AARR's posts), if LSRC is not making a profit, could the Huron Sub to Alpena be in danger of abandonment?
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

I wouldn't toss abandonment into play just yet. The 3 major LSRC customers up there are all commodities of the very same sector, and as such they will usually follow each other's patterns in terms of output, as driven by supply/demand, and overall market strength. I'd be more worried if the customers were in stronger sectors and still doing badly, but overall the stone/cement business is not "hot" right now.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

LSRC_railfan22
Railroadfan...fan

Well there's no southbound today.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

Since a previous post about LSRC not putting the 30 miles to Rogers City back in for the new power plant, what really was the rational for pulling the track? Scrap value? Seems lately everytime rail is pulled then a customer comes along that could use it and the trucks and in Rogers City case the ships get the business. I guess thats the way business is now days but seems like economic development people just don't communicate to potential customers that rail is available when an area has it. Roads are crappy and getting worse but to these people rail is off their radar!

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

lightning wrote:Plus laFarge bought Essroc in Essexville and that rail traffic has dropped down to "nothing" in the last 10 months!!!
:mrgreen:
Essroc was a good customer for LSRC. However, it's a small plant and unless they make some highly profitable specialty cement their future could be bleak.

Several wood pellet companies have looked at locations on the LSRC to establish plants. One in particular was looking to get into the export market. Nothing has come of these inquiries. Anyone know the reason these companies chose other locations? I hope its not because of stringent environmental regulations.

LSRC_railfan22
Railroadfan...fan

Well there's a southbound today i was gonna take some pics but i forgot than i looked at the clock it was to late i wasn't gonna do a bunch of driving trying to find it.When I looked it would been near Ossineke the way gas is. I'm not gonna drive if i don't have to with the truck lol I think the units where 80? and 1174. one gray unit for sure though.

LSRC_railfan22
Railroadfan...fan

Image That was Fridays southbound.