New Grand Rapids Amtrak Station - Vern J Ehlers

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

New Grand Rapids Amtrak Station - Vern J Ehlers

Unread post by Saturnalia »

GRAND RAPIDS (WZZM) -- Construction on Grand Rapids' new Amtrak station is finally underway.

The groundbreaking for the $5.1-million station was held in 2011, but actual work began this week.

The station will be named after former Congressman Vern Ehlers. It's located just south of the Rapids Central Station near the Wealthy Street overpass.

Work was delayed because of disputes between MDOT and the company which own the railroad.

Construction is expected to wrap up in December, with the connections available starting in 2014.
http://www.wzzm13.com/news/article/2593 ... n-underway

Good thing I've been getting all the angles around the current station, cause the days are finally numbered!

This is a general diagram of the new station for those who are unfamiliar with it. It was adopted from the B. P. Beavers 1995 maps, and you can see some of AMTK1007's pencil markings. Anyway, the new station siding is not exact, just a representation of the new spur.
New Grand Rapids, MI (GRR) Amtrak Station by MQT3001, on Flickr

-----------------------------------------

Skipping to 2014, here are two videos, the first shows the last two trains to use the old station, and the second is the full Grand Opening Ceremony at the new facility!

Last edited by Saturnalia on Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

wyrickj
Railroadfan...fan

Re: New Grand Rapids AMTK Station Construction Finally Under

Unread post by wyrickj »

It's about time they started construction. Hopefully it will have A/C inside the waiting area :D unlike the current station and maybe some real staff that work there :). When I rode Amtrak for the first time out of the current depot I was stunned how outdated the place really was and how there really was no boarding platform unlike some of the Metra stations I've boarded from. I'm glad to see GR finally get something so much better that likely will beat the old Union Station hopefully :).
Pure Michigan Railroads
YouTube | Facebook

donnieland
Owner of Donnieland's Outpost

Unread post by donnieland »

alex
I think you will find the switch for the station will tie into the main right under the outside sb lane of 131,
orginal power switches for penn. rr going north to mackinaw city were placed there due to 131 construction. the area signals and power switches from century ave to franklin ave were controlled from pleasant st tower.
Last edited by donnieland on Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
don baxter

Patriot
Leonard St. Tower Operator

Unread post by Patriot »

Definitely needed! But still find it hard to believe that the new station will cost over $5 million --- must gonna use golden rail spikes on the new spur!!
Doing what you like is freedom. Liking what you do is happiness.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

donnieland wrote:alex
I think you will find the switch for the station will tie into the main right under the outside sb lane of 131,
orginal power switches for penn. rr going north to mackinaw city were placed there due to 131 construction. the area signals and power switches from century ave to franklin ave were controlled from pleasant st tower.
That is what I am hearing too, like I said the alignment is not necessarily correct.

I wonder if, the conflict between the station builders and CSX, was in part CSX stalling the work to happen around the time of the new signalling, in an effort to only have to deal with it once?

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MQT3001 wrote: I wonder if, the conflict between the station builders and CSX, was in part CSX stalling the work to happen around the time of the new signalling, in an effort to only have to deal with it once?
CSX was probably stalling to make sure the money for the project came through, and construction started, before adding additional switches, signals, interlockings, etc. to their side of things.

If CSX wanted, there is/was no reason they couldn't do the signal work, track work, switch work, etc before the station was built, and just leave a small 'stub' until the line to the station is needed. They probably didn't want to be left holding the bill should the project fall though.

Practice Safe CSX

Mark F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mark F »

Note: US 131 is mislabeled I-196.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Mark F wrote:Note: US 131 is mislabeled I-196.
Yes, I never fixed that. Beavers did it, not me :wink:

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MQT3001 wrote:
Mark F wrote:Note: US 131 is mislabeled I-196.
Yes, I never fixed that. Beavers did it, not me :wink:
Beavers must have been smokin' something at the time. :lol:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Proto48Patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Proto48Patrick »

I wonder who the general contractor is.
Patrick Welch

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Proto48Patrick wrote:I wonder who the general contractor is.
The construction manager is Erhardt. No ID on the loader or excavator on site :(

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Unread post by trnwatcher »

MQT3001 wrote: I wonder if, the conflict between the station builders and CSX, was in part CSX stalling the work to happen around the time of the new signalling, in an effort to only have to deal with it once?
I heard a conversation between a signal maintainer and the RN late last fall. Sounds like the delay was that CSX was not brought into the conversation until late in the planning and the major delay was that they where going to have to rewrite the code for the signaling between Pleasant St and Lamar due to the changes brought about from the new depot location. It sounded from their conversation that tracks 1 and 2 will be signaled bi-directionally and that a wye will actually be installed on the depot access lead. This will allow push pull service to enter and leave with out any back up moves and single powered trains to back in and head out in the AM. RN was saying that the plan she had seen was also calling for the cross overs between Century and Grandville Ave to be moved east of the Conrail runner lead to allow access to the depot from tracks 1 or 2. This could partly be the reason for the $5M price tag.
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

trnwatcher wrote:
I heard a conversation between a signal maintainer and the RN late last fall. Sounds like the delay was that CSX was not brought into the conversation until late in the planning and the major delay was that they where going to have to rewrite the code for the signaling between Pleasant St and Lamar due to the changes brought about from the new depot location. It sounded from their conversation that tracks 1 and 2 will be signaled bi-directionally and that a wye will actually be installed on the depot access lead. This will allow push pull service to enter and leave with out any back up moves and single powered trains to back in and head out in the AM. RN was saying that the plan she had seen was also calling for the cross overs between Century and Grandville Ave to be moved east of the Conrail runner lead to allow access to the depot from tracks 1 or 2. This could partly be the reason for the $5M price tag.
If this is true, two things. #1, I feel better about the station's location. 2nd, yeah, that is the reason for $5 Million.

But wouldn't moving the xovers east mean the GDLK would have to reverse to get up to the GRE?

DLM
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by DLM »

A west facing switch allows the push/pull train to enter and exit quickly. An east facing switch like shown on the map requires a slow protected backup move to enter and exit adding transit time to the Pere Marquette's schedule. Maybe it was more important to have a straight station platform than a curved one. Maybe the architect had no clue how railroads work......

Move crossovers for two trains per day on a low density line? I doubt it. CSX milking the project for as much money as possible? Absolutely!!!

Proto48Patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Proto48Patrick »

Raildudes dad wrote:
The construction manager is Erhardt. No ID on the loader or excavator on site :(
You know where I can find more info on the job Tom? More specifically the amount of federal/state/local funds breakdown maybe :wink:
Patrick Welch

donnieland
Owner of Donnieland's Outpost

Unread post by donnieland »

the old track layout before the tracks were removed would work real good for the wye configuration.
using old layout from conrail, penn. rr days. just to the west of the points of the hugart runner switch
and number 2 tk were the points to the west track of conrail that went north toward fuller, the conrail
track crossed #1 tk via diamond and con't to the north. add a west leg of a wye from the station to the
csx #1 track and you have access both ways to the station.
370 arrives and pulls down on the runner, rn lines runner to station track and 370 backs into station.
when 371 departs in morning they use the west leg of the wye to #1 tk and cross over to 2 tk at godfrey
same as they do now. the crossover at Grandville would only need to be moved as needed to place the wye
switch, it will still end up between Grandville and century.
if csx doesn't want a diamond , then reinstall the power switch that was between #2 tk to #1 tk at pleasant
st tower ( reason why the signals are at franklin st bridge ) then add a switch at west side of 131 for station.
first way needs 3 new switches and a diamond and the other needs 5 switches no diamond.
don baxter

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

There is room to move the Hughart Runner a bit and fit a crossover between it and the Amtrak Runner.

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=4 ... 2&t=h&z=19

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Alright. Not totally sure if this is one of the alignments previously mentioned or not. Anyway, I think it would end up being the best, at least in theory. Everyone can enter and then exit on any track, except GDLK cannot go east on the PM. I did a little speculation on the signals, including Madison if they do signal in both directions. Feel free to alert me to anything that is different than pictured here layout wise, and I will make note and put out something more consistent with reality. I only did this one as a piece of theory:

Godfrey & Pleasant St Reworking by MQT3001, on Flickr

Note for instance that I cut back the Old 17 to stop short of Godfrey. I know it takes time and $$$ to do that, but there is not a whole lot of use for it beyond Godfrey at this point. Put it before the Godfrey signals and make it hand-throw, and you leave out one headache, although having a hand-throw might be troublesome at some point for efficiency with Z739 and Y106 using it. Again, another piece of theory.
Last edited by Saturnalia on Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Capt. Picard
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Capt. Picard »

Someone mentioned the possibility of the station being staffed.
Per a contact at MDOT, states have to pay if they want things like station agents now. That said, MDOT was discussing moving the agent at Port Huron to Grand Rapids, but nothing came of it. I think part of that is because the current building doesn't even have the space for an agent (correct me if I'm wrong).
"There is a way out of every box, a solution to every puzzle; it's just a matter of finding it."

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Proto48Patrick wrote:
Raildudes dad wrote:
You know where I can find more info on the job Tom? More specifically the amount of federal/state/local funds breakdown maybe :wink:
$3.8 from the Feds. I can't find an official funding chart but pretty sure it requires D-B wages.

1 west facing swithc between Century and Grandville would suffice for the station lead. Use the existing wye if only 1 unit. Hand throw switch would be adequate for 2 trains a day. IMHO, the design team was and is incomptent :roll: