Russel Plow Coupler

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Re: Russel Plow Coupler

Unread post by GLC 392 »

We have that one you guys left in Manistee... Not like they will ever let us use it even though everyone else is plowing...

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Have your track people talk to the track people at Duane Yard in Terre Haute. Last I knew there was a Russell plow shoved off the end of the track (literally) at Duane on the NYC side. Might be able to take that one if its the same?

Practice Safe CSX

12Bridge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 12Bridge »

I can think of a few museum pieces that might be the best bet to go after.. Not all of the Russells have the curved one either, its very era-specific. Alot of those plows also have an interesting draft gear arrangement as well, the coupler goes directly to the front of the plow in its own subframe, so as all the force of the pusher is exerted on the plow face, and not the frame of the car.

Might need to find somebody good at welding a casting, then get it heat treated.

MQT's plow is a Jordan, not a russell, unless you mean the old wood one..which might actually have the right coupler on it...

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Doktor No wrote: The Jordan is down on the Monon right now where I hear they have been casting the propane tanks at the switch heaters a hell of a ride into the local farm fields.
Unless something has changed, no switch heaters on the Monon. All hand operated and/or spring switches on the sidings. Used to be when the snow fell, everything became hand line when leaving sidings.

Practice Safe CSX

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

CSX_CO wrote:
Doktor No wrote: The Jordan is down on the Monon right now where I hear they have been casting the propane tanks at the switch heaters a hell of a ride into the local farm fields.
Unless something has changed, no switch heaters on the Monon. All hand operated and/or spring switches on the sidings. Used to be when the snow fell, everything became hand line when leaving sidings.

Practice Safe CSX
Still that way, with the possible exception of 9th street.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Doktor No wrote:The story around our parts is that they pegged a large propane tank and sent it flying in to the weeds. Bent the wing up too. Fascinating...or at least..interesting.
Spock out.
Getting off subject, but that's what we do best around here. Probably some switch heaters around Lafayette proper at the few control points with power switches, but not any on the 'south end'.

Of course...as with most of the stories on the railroad believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see.

Practice Safe CSX

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Doktor No wrote:We (da CSX kiddies) happen to be looking for a rear coupler assembly for a 1941 vintage Ex PC (perhaps PRR or NYC heritage to boot) Russell Plow. We took the one that had been behind the north shanty into the house this morning. They thought they might fix it up for WINTER PLOWING (how tomrrow moves ya know) The rear coupler is a curved cast item and it has a MAJOR CRACK....hello! I noticed that a couple years ago but what the heck... They are actually fixing the flager air system and other leaks and maybe a new furnace too...(doubt that) If anyone has a museum piece that has a coupler we could perhaps swap it out??? Leave a message. I told the mechanics that I MIGHT be able to 'rustle' one up.
How tomorrow moves LOL Dok, that is like us waiting until the middle of winter to put the under-bodies on the 5 axle flow-boys or the piggybacks in the dump boxes:roll:

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Doktor No wrote:We took the one that had been behind the north shanty into the house this morning.
Curiosity question time: did that boxcar go with it? I remember seeing it get setout out there YEARS ago with dad and it has been around the north shanty every time since. Is it just storage or does it serve a purpose with the plow?

Nice to see they've fixing up the thing. Could be a whole new opprotunity someday. Of course they wait until AFTER the snowiest winter in the last 30 years to do it. But hey I'm not gonna complain :wink:
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

CSX put one of the plows on the scrap track 20? years ago(where the stone yard is today). It was full of tools and they cut the locks off and left it. This was in the days when one could drive back there unhassled. I drove right to Ace hardware bought 2 big padlocks and locked it back up. I was helping at the C&M at the time and we initiated contact with the asset disposal guy in Jacksonville Sam??????. We had a deal to buy it until the Roadmaster had to sign off. He said WTH, we not selling that . Maybe the same plow :?:

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MQT3001 wrote: Nice to see they've fixing up the thing. Could be a whole new opprotunity someday. Of course they wait until AFTER the snowiest winter in the last 30 years to do it. But hey I'm not gonna complain :wink:
Pretty rare to get enough snow to need it around here. Plus, I've heard, if they start using it, they have to KEEP using it. They end up just digging a trench that is easily filled in with even more blowing snow. Sides will freeze with the first snow, and it makes it tough to keep snow out of it. Sort of along the lines of why they don't want to use a rotary plow out west unless absolutely necessary.

Practice Safe CSX

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

CR 64523 Russell Plow build date 12-41 and former NYC 663, if you believe rrpicturearchives.

Here's a photo by our own Super Chief:

I don't have a lead on where to get a Russell rear coupler assembly, but I hope you're able to find one to make that thing tick. I remember 5-6 years ago when a rusty former Conrail Jordan Spreader was employed by west MI CSX crews to clear snow....me thinks the venerable Russell would do fine as well.

Conrail always maintained a sizable fleet of plows as so much of its system was in high snow or lake effect regions. Elkhart always had/has several on hand. Not sure if any are used anymore. I thought there used to be one at Hughart?

Let us know what happens Doc!

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

I do believe there is still one in Hughart.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

12Bridge
Railroadfan...fan

There are 3 shoved to the end in Elkhart.......

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

The only other place that has a ex-NYC plow is Mad River and NKP Museum in Bellevue. IIRC theirs still has it's couplers.

bbe125
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bbe125 »

Hocking Valley Scenic Railway in Nelsonville OH has CR 64531 (NYC 625) Russell 5-1946 which they acquired from CSXT. They have it on display near the depot.

12Bridge
Railroadfan...fan

TrainWatcher wrote:The only other place that has a ex-NYC plow is Mad River and NKP Museum in Bellevue. IIRC theirs still has it's couplers.
Not the original. I imagine the same thing happened to it. It has a regular coupler stuffed in its placed blocked up on wood.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

The wood one from Manistee went to A&L in Gaylord, they thought it was metal......nope just metal wheels and sheeting.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

fmilhaupt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by fmilhaupt »

How long ago did they haul the wood plow out of Manistee?
-Fritz Milhaupt

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

I'd say it was late August, went out in dumpsters
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

pbmaxno15
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pbmaxno15 »

Calumet and Hecla's Russel is in Calumet. The old wood plow is on a piece of track behind Coppertown USA.