Pere Marquette stuck in the snow

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
PM1946
Railroadfan...fan

Pere Marquette stuck in the snow

Unread post by PM1946 »

Here's the story from WOOD TV-8....
http://woodtv.com/2014/02/27/amtrak-tra ... f-holland/

J T
Hates Supper

Re: Pere Marquette stuck in the snow

Unread post by J T »

PM1946 wrote:Here's the story from WOOD TV-8....
http://woodtv.com/2014/02/27/amtrak-tra ... f-holland/
CSX sent a rescue locomotive to the scene, and it arrived at 10:30 p.m. The locomotive hooked up to the stuck train and pulled it free. Around 11 p.m., the Amtrak train was moving, but not toward its destination.

The Amtrak train was pulled back about 10 miles where it was put on another side track, Olsen said. At that point, a more powerful freight train plowed the tracks clear, allowing the Amtrak train to continue on its way to Holland and then Grand Rapids.
Huh? So as I'm reading this, it was pulled out of the siding at East Saugatuck, but then was backed down to Wells? For what? A "freight train" (I'm assuming 327) made it through on the main before 370 was pushed out of the siding, so why couldn't it continue east on the main after the switches were realigned?

The CSX unit obviously came down the main at ES to enter into the west end of the siding to pull 370 out, so why couldn't they proceed eastward?

Some important details are missing from this article.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

J T wrote: The CSX unit obviously came down the main at ES to enter into the west end of the siding to pull 370 out, so why couldn't they proceed eastward?

Some important details are missing from this article.
Without being privy to seeing the CAD screens that night, perhaps AMTRAK stalled without clearing the west end of the siding? So, the WB freight is coming down to meet them and is holding the main. Once AMTRAK stalls, they need EB power to come up from behind, and drag AMTRAK back west to the next siding. Trains can then continue east towards GR.

Practice Safe CSX

Typhoon
Rock you like a Hurricane

Unread post by Typhoon »

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Typhoon wrote:Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner.
Proof positive it isn't rocket science, it is just railroading...

Practice Safe CSX

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

CSX_CO wrote: Without being privy to seeing the CAD screens that night, perhaps AMTRAK stalled without clearing the west end of the siding?
Sounds like it.
So, the WB freight is coming down to meet them and is holding the main. Once AMTRAK stalls, they need EB power to come up from behind, and drag AMTRAK back west to the next siding. Trains can then continue east towards GR.
So is this "more powerful freight train" the same one they met at ES which forced them into the siding in the first place? The reporter makes it sound like two freight trains were involved. And I wonder where the east bound power came from.
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

J T wrote: So is this "more powerful freight train" the same one they met at ES which forced them into the siding in the first place? The reporter makes it sound like two freight trains were involved. And I wonder where the east bound power came from.
:roll:

Yes, there would have had to be a WB freight and an EB freight. EB power would have had to come from behind and drag AMTRAK back west to Wells. EB freight train power would have had to tie back onto their train at Wells, and then continue east ahead of AMTRAK to clear the path. AMTRAK could then follow that train east. Meanwhile, the WB freight on the main at Saugatuck just has to sit while all this goes on.

Practice Safe CSX

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

I wanna know why Amtrak is meeting a WB freight at Saugatuck in the first place...there is a siding in Holland, and any coal trains could certainly wait up at the plant...?
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MQT3001 wrote:I wanna know why Amtrak is meeting a WB freight at Saugatuck in the first place...there is a siding in Holland, and any coal trains could certainly wait up at the plant...?
Because it is CSX's railroad, and they'll do as they please with it. To be frank, it is really none of your business why they were going in at Saugatuk.

Oh wait...I forgot about all the arm chair STO's we have on here...

Practice Safe CSX

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

MQT3001 wrote:I wanna know why Amtrak is meeting a WB freight at Saugatuck in the first place...there is a siding in Holland, and any coal trains could certainly wait up at the plant...?
Because sidings were built to allow trains to pass each other? Guess I'm missing your point about why railroads should avoid using a legitimate siding. Siding turned out to have a big drift in it, oh well.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

CSX_CO wrote: :roll:

Yes, there would have had to be a WB freight and an EB freight. EB power would have had to come from behind and drag AMTRAK back west to Wells. EB freight train power would have had to tie back onto their train at Wells, and then continue east ahead of AMTRAK to clear the path. AMTRAK could then follow that train east. Meanwhile, the WB freight on the main at Saugatuck just has to sit while all this goes on.

Practice Safe CSX
No reason for the eye roll. You're the railroading expert, not me, hence my inquiry into the procedure which allowed 370 to continue on its way. And since this happened in an area that I'm very familiar with, I just find it especially interesting.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

~Z~ wrote:
Because sidings were built to allow trains to pass each other? Guess I'm missing your point about why railroads should avoid using a legitimate siding. Siding turned out to have a big drift in it, oh well.
I say this because generally, dispatchers keep the freights out of the way of Amtrak if they can. I'm wondering what circumstances made the RN setup the meet the way they did...not out for blows, just curious.

So basically, was there room for the freight somewhere around Holland, and if so why push the issue at Saugatuck, forcing Amtrak to make a slow, 10-mph pass through a siding in the best of times.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

NSSD60M
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NSSD60M »

CSX_CO wrote:
Because it is CSX's railroad, and they'll do as they please with it. To be frank, it is really none of your business why they were going in at Saugatuk.

Oh wait...I forgot about all the arm chair STO's we have on here...

Practice Safe CSX
Kind of funny how a 15 (or whatever..) year old kid can maintain civility and a 30-something year old hot shot has to fire off with half cocked responses and put downs all the time.

Anyway, the host railroad is free to do as they want, whether it means biting and delaying their priority shipments, or taking the fine and putting Amtrak in the hole somewhere. Not really sure what is considered priority shipments on that line, but when I was running the NS Chicago Line, we'd often be told we were going to hold for a mail train to get around, if we were running behind and happened to be in the same time frame as the westbound mail was coming into the picture.
The Chief is sitting behind the scenes making those calls, so whatever happens on his/her watch, the monkey can fall on those shoulders. Just the volatile situations of railroading, no need to be feeling high and mighty and putting down railfans that want to know. But some never grow out of that phase I suppose...

Typhoon
Rock you like a Hurricane

Unread post by Typhoon »

NSSD60M wrote:, or taking the fine and putting Amtrak in the hole somewhere.
The fine? Now that is funny...

dmitzel
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dmitzel »

Ditto the maturity, er... civility observation NS. No need for some to constantly play "whack-a-mole" every time a (younger) 'fan poses a question. It drags the whole board down.
D.M. Mitzel
Div. 8-NCR-NMRA
Oxford, Mich.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Asking why train movements occur as they do is certainly a fair question. Just curiosity, planning a more realistic HO pike or trying to understand movements to better predict how to best chase a train, it doesn't matter. This is after all a fan site.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

I'm glad MQT3001 doesn't let the condescending comments drive him away like it has some others. I enjoy his posts. Maybe once he gets his license he can make a meet so everyone will see he's a pretty good guy...I hope :P :lol:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

I enjoy his posts and videos too. I ignore the cheap shots, and snide remarks too. Some people are just not happy. Like dogs, some wag their tails, some snarl at you. I'm just glad I'm not them. :lol:
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

NSSD60M wrote: Kind of funny how a 15 (or whatever..) year old kid can maintain civility and a 30-something year old hot shot has to fire off with half cocked responses and put downs all the time.
I guess you never saw the behavior of the (then) 13 year old in the chat. There is a reason why he has been ban hammered from the chat for so long. He lost my respect years ago, and will probably never garner it back.

Practice Safe CSX

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

CSX_CO wrote:I guess you never saw the behavior of the (then) 13 year old in the chat. There is a reason why he has been ban hammered from the chat for so long. He lost my respect years ago, and will probably never garner it back.
I do not hold you nor anyone else here for anything that happened two years ago, nor even a few days ago. It is not correct. It is not worth it.

I'm here for the trains.