GLC 385

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

GLC 385

Unread post by GLC 392 »

GLC 385 is finally back on the road after a year and a half of being out of service. The engine was repainted from its original GLC all blue with white stripes to the current blue and white. The engines head light was also moved from the nose to the cab.

Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Re: GLC 385

Unread post by Notch 8 »

No Pictures ? You said you had connections...... What other work was done ? Did they do the work or sent out ? Good to see it made it made it back to service and not razor blades.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

GLC 392 wrote:The engines head light was also moved from the nose to the cab.
Would you happen to know why it was moved?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

There's been issues with crews getting burned by the headlights when they are in the nose.

bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bctrainfan »

MSchwiebert wrote:There's been issues with crews getting burned by the headlights when they are in the nose.
That strikes me funny cuz when I read that it was moved, I had formed kind of a short list of possible reasons why in my untrained railfan head, none of which were even close to the real world practical explanation! :lol:

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

bctrainfan wrote:
MSchwiebert wrote:There's been issues with crews getting burned by the headlights when they are in the nose.
That strikes me funny cuz when I read that it was moved, I had formed kind of a short list of possible reasons why in my untrained railfan head, none of which were even close to the real world practical explanation! :lol:
I was thinking maybe they had to find a new nose, and the one they got didn't have a light, so they went up top with it...
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Crews probably realized how nice it was having the cab headlights on the GP38-2s and decided to move 385s while it was being rebuilt.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bctrainfan »

But that does bring up a good question....which is preferred by the crew, headlight on the nose or on the top of the cab?

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

I have seen pictures but, I can not share them. It looks pretty good but I will always like the Annie look on the 35's now looks like a normal 35 minus the trucks.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

I think I'm going to create the forum name "GLC 385" and then start a thread about GLC 392. :wink:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

I've got lots of photos of 392 I can share JT!

Nose head lights have a higher risk of blowing out when you hit snow drifts.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

BerkshireKid
sofa king we todd

Unread post by BerkshireKid »

Dont know the reasoning but I can find out when I talk to pops this weekend. He sent me a picture from when it came out of the shop. Not the greatest but it'll do til someone gets a better picture.
[url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/4160 ... .jpg[/img]
Untitled by peremarquette1225, on Flickr[/url]

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

I'd go with crew members getting burned as the reason for the move followed closely by the snow issue.

I preferred lights on the nose. High headlights just seemed to illuminate to top of the nose.

Practice Safe CSX

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

CSX_CO wrote:I'd go with crew members getting burned as the reason for the move followed closely by the snow issue.

I preferred lights on the nose. High headlights just seemed to illuminate to top of the nose.

Practice Safe CSX
I've heard that nose lights illuminate more effectively than cab mounted lights so I was curious why the move. It never occurred to me the nose light could burn someone...ouch.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

TSB
peon

Unread post by TSB »

What keeps the crew from burning their little hands in the cab?
5 years on college faculties
34 years working on railroads

RR is more fun

glc395
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by glc395 »

Your all wrong, its easier for the electrician to work on it there, something to do with the wiring. Anybody that gets burned from standing in front of a headlight an idiot and deserves it, myself I prefer the headlight it the nose, better visibility, and in the winter you can warm your face up on it real quick

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Wonder what kind of wattage the bulbs for the headlights use? Switch to some LEDs :)
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JStryker722 »

~Z~ wrote:Wonder what kind of wattage the bulbs for the headlights use? Switch to some LEDs :)
Isn't the new Amtrak electrics getting LED lights?
My Wife says my first love is trains..anint that the truth! Lol :D

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Thanks for sharing your pop's photo, Dane. It's good enough to see what they did (and it looks like they did a pretty nice job).
~ Charles W.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

JStryker722 wrote: Aren't the new Amtrak electrics getting LED lights?
The one's that have been delivered/ compleated do have LEDs. In the photo below you can see how it's got a blue hue to the light, and in the ditch lights you can see the bulbs.

http://ppcdn.500px.org/45550302/0bc363b ... 982e/4.jpg
glc395 wrote: Anybody that gets burned from standing in front of a headlight an idiot and deserves it
I would think that it would be pretty easy to brush up against a headlight when just walking across the porch for some reason, especially if you have a grip in one hand, maybe something else bulky in the other, and if there's snow making the walk slippery.. so many things could happen where one would bump into/ rub against the nose and get burned by a headlight by mistake while they are caring out operations safely. Not a [img]whole[/img] lot of room on a walk between the nose and handrails.. calling them an idiot is a little harsh, but that's just my opinion on the matter.

And yes thanks Dane for the photo. Looks good freshly painted too, at least on the nose 8)
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown