GDLK Horns Stolen in Grand Rapids

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

GDLK Horns Stolen in Grand Rapids

Unread post by PatAzo »

The horns of the WSOR 4077 were stolen while it was parked in Grand Rapids. The Grand Elk people have fairly railfan friendly. Unfortunately they include railfans as suspects. They'd like the horns back if anyone has an idea where they are.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: GDLK Horns Stolen in Grand Rapids

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Interesting seeing as though one of the CSX horns was taken only a couple of months ago.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

dmitzel
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dmitzel »

Most likely the truck-oriented "let's punk someone with our loud horn" crowd than a railfan.

Noticed a bunch of these types posting on YouTube over the past few years. They like to startle other drivers or pedrestrians by blowing air horns on unsuspecting folks - illegially.
D.M. Mitzel
Div. 8-NCR-NMRA
Oxford, Mich.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

dmitzel wrote:Noticed a bunch of these types posting on YouTube over the past few years. They like to startle other drivers or pedrestrians by blowing air horns on unsuspecting folks - illegially.
There is someone in the Washington MI area with a train horn. They have shocked the heck out of me while I am biking on the Macomb Orchard Trail (GTW Romeo Sub). I didn't know it was illegal to use the horn, though.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

j32885
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by j32885 »

Yet another case of a train horn getting nab. It could've been: horn collectors, railfans, pranksters, or even someone who wanted a horn in general.

Questions: What Type & How Rare :?:

If I was WATCO-GDLK I would try here:

The Horn and Whistle Board
http://www.hornwhistleboard.com/

It could also end up on Craigslist or eBay. :|

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

What type was it? What color? It would be easier to track that way if it pops up...
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Bulby
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bulby »

j32885 wrote:It could also end up on Craigslist or eBay.
Legal department will have a field day if they find it.

ebay/craigslist are very convenient ways to locate thieves, you don't even have to leave to office!

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

I'll never understand how someone has the balls to go into a railroad yard, climb on top of a locomotive with their tools and remove a horn. Was this thing sitting in a dark area of the yard?
Last edited by J T on Thu May 01, 2014 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

J T wrote:I'll never understand how someone has the balls to into a railroad yard, climb on top of a locomotive with their tools and remove a horn. Was this thing sitting in a dark area of the yard?
When you figure the resale value to be between 200-700 dollars it really doesn't surprise me too much.
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

I am reminded of this story from just over a year ago:
http://www.khou.com/news/crime/Union-Pa ... 39251.html

Whoever did it has to know a thing or two about trains, horns, and what they are worth.

And a little quote from that article too that made me laugh a little:
It's not every day we come across someone accused of committing a crime involving trains
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

The horn was probably stolen in the middle of the night when not many people are looking. A ''smart criminal" would have done it that way whether the engine was sitting in the middle of the yard or on a secluded branchline.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

milineamtrak wrote:The horn was probably stolen in the middle of the night when not many people are looking. A ''smart criminal" would have done it that way whether the engine was sitting in the middle of the yard or on a secluded branchline.
This is part of the reason why forward looking cameras on locomotives are coming into vogue. Not sure if the GDLK has them, but they were used to catch a similar horn thief in Southern Indiana last year. Forward looking camera caught the individual climbing onto the locomotive. He was a horn buff, and his story was he was just taking it to 'clean it' to make it sound better. So, if the GDLK has cameras, they may have caught the person climbing onto the engine to remove their ill gotten goods.

Practice Safe CSX

Bulby
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bulby »

J T wrote:I'll never understand how someone has the balls to into a railroad yard, climb on top of a locomotive with their tools and remove a horn. Was this thing sitting in a dark area of the yard?
Frankly, stealing a horn is pretty minor compared to some I've seen. Anyone here ever heard of thieves stealing locomotive batteries??? Tell me how that happens without someone noticing.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

I also think there needs to be more cameras trackside in order to prevent and stop theft ( good for trainwatching webcam also ). Today in Detroit right between 2nd and 3rd St on the "Ho Chi Minh Trail", the NS 176 was stopped at CP Beaubien waiting for Amtrak 355 to clear. I witnessed a group of about 6 guys trackside with one of them climbing to the top of an autorack on 176. I called CN Police and the officer said he would report it to NS Police. After Amtrak was through Beaubien and stopped at the Woodward Station, 176 started moving again. The guys were still there between the CN Shoreline Sub and Conrail North Yard Branch. As I was leaving to go elsewhere, I called the CN officer back and said the train has got moving again but the guys were still there. He said he would call his partner who would come check it out. A little while later I got a call from the CN officer who said they have arrested one and thanked me for the report. I could see if camereas were installed on this highly vulnerable stretch of track and monitored, more of this criminal activity would be seen by officers and would have a better chance at catching the criminals and wouldn't have to simply only rely on what they see in person or what someone tells them. Same as how near the Tunnels to Canada, Border Patrol is always monitoring with cameras and sensors and will be out to catch someone who gets too close to the tunnel.

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

Looks like, by all the pictures I have found of this unit, that people should be looking for a red Prime 920, Leslie RS3-L or combo of both. Not as valuable a horn as a K5 or leslie RS/S5. Not as popular either. I prefer the sound, but I have one already (legal of coarse).

Schteinkuh
Railcam Terrorizer

Unread post by Schteinkuh »

EWRice wrote:Looks like, by all the pictures I have found of this unit, that people should be looking for a red Prime 920, Leslie RS3-L or combo of both. Not as valuable a horn as a K5 or leslie RS/S5. Not as popular either. I prefer the sound, but I have one already (legal of coarse).
Yep. It's a Red RS3L. Just recently tuned and cleaned before vanishing. And I heard a few people blab about this on Facebook then suddenly delete their comments..... I might go up to GDLK about that.
According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway because bees don't care what humans think is impossible.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

milineamtrak wrote: I could see if camereas were installed on this highly vulnerable stretch of track and monitored,...
The railroads don't even have enough staff to inspect ROW, cars, etc. to have anyone staring at CCTV monitors 24/7.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Standard Railfan wrote:
milineamtrak wrote: I could see if camereas were installed on this highly vulnerable stretch of track and monitored,...
The railroads don't even have enough staff to inspect ROW, cars, etc. to have anyone staring at CCTV monitors 24/7.
No need to watch them 24/7. Just review when something happens. CSX does have a camera system that is 'motion activated' around key pieces of infrastructure. Movement detected, it sends an alert to someone who has to verify if it is a threat or not. I've seen it in person, really slick.

Practice Safe CSX

Bulby
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bulby »

However, what happens when the camera is stolen? (This has actually happened)

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Bulby wrote:However, what happens when the camera is stolen? (This has actually happened)
:lol:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.