Hayes Wheels spur Romulus

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Eric Berger
Railroadfan...fan

Hayes Wheels spur Romulus

Unread post by Eric Berger »

Upon passing by the spur going into Hayes...er, Home Depot Distribution Center in Romulus, I noted that they have a new switch atop the track going into that warehouse-looking building next to the spur. Not only that, but I also noted a smallish section of track next to that.

I'd noted in the past that the existing switch has a section of track missing going to the spur going into that building. So, this makes me wonder if they're planning on restoring service to whatever that building is.

Finally, I also noted at Grant Road that the pavement at the crossing is all marked up next to the tracks, and some road closed barriers were lying next to the road, as if they're planning some work there.

--Eric
"From a really tall tower, in the middle of a really big field..."

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Hayes Wheels spur Romulus

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

The NS spur crossing Huron River Dr looks like it's had some work done, but I only got a quick look. Is this in use now?

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

Ben Higdon wrote:The NS spur crossing Huron River Dr looks like it's had some work done, but I only got a quick look. Is this in use now?
It doesn't look like it is as yet... I think that building is still for lease / sale.
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

Eric Berger
Railroadfan...fan

Ben Higdon wrote:The NS spur crossing Huron River Dr looks like it's had some work done, but I only got a quick look. Is this in use now?
I noted that it looks like they laid fresh ballast back there; I do know that they took a couple of spurs back there out several years ago, after Hayes moved out. I also wonder if Home Depot may be looking to get shipments from NS -- looking at satellite photos of the site, it does appear that the "Line" does go all the way through, from NS to CSX. I also noted that they cleared the years of junk piled on the tracks at the crossing, and I can see the rails again.

I also noted that they replaced the switch on the CSX side, near the Huron River Drive-Wabash Road intersection, and also laid fresh ballast going to that building there. (The one where the tracks go right inside.)

It could also be possible that the site owner could have had the spur upgraded to try to bring in some industrial tenants, as having rail access can be attractive to some industries.

Eric Berger
Railroadfan...fan

Went past Hayes this morning 4 May at about 600 AM. My observations:

On the CSX spur, I noted that there was a Railbox car on the spur going into that building there. Kinda makes me wonder if whomever's in that building is now getting service.

Over on the NS side, I saw some new ties stacked next to the spur between Huron River Dr. and the NS main. But behind the fence, back toward the buildings, in the dim predawn light, I saw a couple of boxcars!

So, this suggests to me that the NS siding is being used again.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

NS is delivering now to Home Depot via their connection, and is served by B73 out of Oakwood.

KenB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KenB »

Around what time does NS go in there?

TrainWatcher
The Beast

B73 has been departing Oakwood between 4 and 5pm, and depending on work at Taylortown I would say closer to 6pm. They are running with the ex-NW cab on the rear usually.

JANGAJONGA
Epic Fail B34 Master

Unread post by JANGAJONGA »

So CSX lost the home depot business?

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Not that I know of unless it's fairly recent as there was talk between D717 and Rouge about cars at East Yard for Home Depot the other afternoon, however, they might be shopping between NS and CSX for better business.

wagnew0923
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by wagnew0923 »

When did Home Depot get a spur?

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

wagnew0923 wrote:When did Home Depot get a spur?
They've been there for quite a few years. They moved from a place off Plymouth Rd. near Middlebelt in Livonia.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...