Railfanning in Lansing, need some info

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
BamaSubdivision94
Railroadfan...fan

Railfanning in Lansing, need some info

Unread post by BamaSubdivision94 »

Hey everyone, I would like to get the scoop on railfanning in Lansing. If the mom takes tomorrow off, we'll be heading down there for the first time to check out their share of trains. I know the main spot there is Amtrak's station near MSU as well as the nearby Trowbridge Diamond, which is where we'll be going but are there any other good spots? What can we expect to see? Best times overall? And are being close to the diamond trespassing/ is the trespassing law strict?

Any and all feedback is embraced.
Last edited by BamaSubdivision94 on Thu May 08, 2014 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: Railfanning in Lansing, need some info

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Check out the coal tower on the CN west of the diamonds...there are legal places to see it from both the west and the east...
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

I have seen people next to the diamond but as far as I know that's all railroad property and I wouldn't go there. I'd also check out downtown Lansing on CSX by Clara's (the old PM/NYC depot). Quite a few interesting shots down there.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

BamaSubdivision94
Railroadfan...fan

Alright, we may go check those out.

How about train density? Is action heavy, moderate, light and when are the best times of day to catch the heaviest action? What are the best days?

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

BamaSubdivision94 wrote:Alright, we may go check those out.

How about train density? Is action heavy, moderate, light and when are the best times of day to catch the heaviest action? What are the best days?
On the CSX side you won't see much. If you go on a week day you'll see the local D708, and maybe a grain or coal train (or a very late Q335). CN is busier and I'd venture to say the afternoon would be busiest on that side. They probably run around 20 trains a day through there.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Get near the diamond and the East Lansing Police will be usually be by to give you the boot. You can park in the dirt lot near the diamond without trouble if you stay back from the track.

jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jrgerber »

Since most of the action is now on the CN side I would suggest the Amtrak station. Trowbridge was a hopping place back when CP was using the CSX line. Sadly those days are gone.

GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP9R »

Best time for Lansing is around 0400 to 0800 and about 1400 to 1800 on the CN Side. If you an travel some head west on the CN to Corry yard. There is a local that works the Autoplant in Delta Township they should be around sometime after probably 1100

BamaSubdivision94
Railroadfan...fan

Thank you everybody.

Unfortunately, we ended up not going yesterday because of the weather so we ended up just making an fruitless visit to CSX's yard and Kearsley Junction in Flint.

Maybe we'll make an extended trip there next weekend when we go out for Railroad Days in Durand.