Lake State Sunday

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
LSRC
Flat River Rat

Lake State Sunday

Unread post by LSRC »

After watching Michigan narrowly loose to Ohio State last night, I decided to take the long way back, down Long Lake Ave. and past the LSRC yard, hoping that some power would be out. Nope. Oh well. Well this morning, I drove by there again and much to my surprise, a train was parked on the main. Wow! It must have come in this morning! I raced back to get my camera, hoping that the consist wouldn't be put away. Much to my pleasure, it wasn't. Here it the consist:

M420W 3515
RS2U 469
M420W 3571

Then I grabbed these pictures:
A rarity for the huron sub...a boxcar. What railroad is HS?

More to come.

LSRC

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Any idea what's in the box car?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

LSRC
Flat River Rat

Unread post by LSRC »

I think it is either going to the LP plant (unlikely), or it is going to be used to haul parts out of the shops in Alpena and down to Saginaw.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

I thought the track to L-P was taken out and they were using a team track for the bulk liquid tanker cars they receive.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

cmgnnut
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by cmgnnut »

Thank You LSRC for the answer and picture :)

LSRC
Flat River Rat

Unread post by LSRC »

MOST of the track to LP is still in place, but the street running road (Fletcher Street) was so bad that they are just finishing upredoing the street. At first, they just through a light coat of asphalt on the road, but then recently they ripped up the street. Apparently the street was so old, and had so many layers, that they workers ran into the original narrow gage line when ripping out the street, and the water main was made of wood! The rest of the branch was condemned. There is kind of a funny story behind the condemning, workers at the Fletcher Street paper company went on strike, and then they closed the plant a few years ago. Well, someone bought the factory and wanted to make it into a hotel thing. He hated the tracks going right through the plant and noticed, so he called the FRA to have the branch checked, and they condemned it. So in "revenge" the Lake State parked all of their to-be-scrapped hoppers on the branch. That guy got mad! There was this whole thing about it in the Alpena news. The current state of the branch is pretty bad. I did almost crap my pants in March when I was walking out of the ship wreck museum, and the 9th street crossing went off. It was just MOW checking the crossing, but I just about got a heart attack. I do have memories from a few years back of sitting in the Postal Office parking lot watching the 469 switch box cars. Ahhh, good times. Ok, I'll stop writing this novel now.

LSRC
Flat River Rat

Unread post by LSRC »

You're welcome.

SD40-2
Canada Eh!

Unread post by SD40-2 »

what is the KPR on the door of the 3515 for ? BTW great pictures !!!!

LSRC
Flat River Rat

Unread post by LSRC »

Oh, my 100th post was "You're Welcome". Finally!

Back on topic, KPR is the reporting marks that the Lake State bought the 6 M420Ws from back in 2004. Kelowna Pacific Railway of Britiah Columbia, Canada. All are ex: CN and have their original CN numbers.

Here is a link to more info:
http://groups.msn.com/LakeStateRailway/ ... power.msnw

LSRC
Flat River Rat

Unread post by LSRC »

Here are a few more pictures from later in the day.

Video to come soon.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

I missed your question about H&S. It's the former Hartford and Slocum which I believe just goes by H&S now. A very, very, very short shortline with thousands of lease cars. Much like Coe Rail was (before selling) in Walled Lake.