Railfanning in Lansing...Help please.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Railfanning in Lansing...Help please.

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

I know where the tracks run in Lansing and I know what to expect from CN. What I am nearly clueless on is what to expect from NS and CSX. If anyone can tell me what times might be best for NS and CSX action and about how many trains per day for either, it would be apperciated.

Thanks.

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

The best place to watch CN and CSX is at Trowbridge. If you want to watch NS run by, I would suggest Michigan Ave. in downtown Lansing.
Anyway, CSX can and will run anywhere from 6-10 trains a day. The best time to see CSX stuff is in the Afternoon and Evening.
Here's a few CSX trains you might see:
Q326: Chicago-Detroit -Usually runs in the afternoon or evening
Q327: Detroit-Chicago -Usually runs in the late afternoon or evening
Q335: Toledo-Grand Rapids -Usually runs in the afternoon (any time, but recently has been between 2-4 PM) but some times will run in the late morning
Q334: Grand Rapids-Toledo -Unless you are coming out in the middle of the night, don't expect to see this train
X500: CP Runthrough train-Chicago-Detroit -Times vary for X500, but it usually passes by in the morning
Coal, Coke, Grain, and Lime extras are also possible, and CSX will usually run at least one extra a day, sometimes two or more.
As far as NS goes, they only have one train up here, B30.
B30 runs from the Saginaw Yard (on Lansing's northwest side) to Jackson. They start out in the morning, and can usually leave at anytime, between the late morning, and late afternoon.
Having a scanner will really help you for CSX and NS in this area.
Hope this helps. :)
Last edited by RailCanon on Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

signmasters
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks Gregg

Unread post by signmasters »

My wife and I have a show in Lansing this weekend at the Lansing Center so we will be fanning on Friday this will help us thanks!
A great photographer can make a great photo out of any kind of light from any angle at any time, life is not a studio! There is no such thing as bad light.