Don't railfan in Delray unless you have a weapon

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
CSXandNSRailfanner
Railroadfan...fan

Don't railfan in Delray unless you have a weapon

Unread post by CSXandNSRailfanner »

Visited Delray, MI to get some trains on camera.

A 1980s Chevy came up and 5 people (What looked like gang members) came to us and starting screaming at us to get off their territory, they were lifting their shirts up to reveal small handguns tucked in their waist, so we put our hands up and left.

This is why you don't railfan in dangerous areas unless you can defend yourself... If I had a Legal Carry and Conceal, there would be some headline news for sure :roll: :roll:

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Re: Don't railfan in Delray unless you have a weapon

Unread post by CSX_CO »

CSXandNSRailfanner wrote:Visited Delray, MI to get some trains on camera.

A 1980s Chevy came up and 5 people (What looked like gang members) came to us and starting screaming at us to get off their territory, they were lifting their shirts up to reveal small handguns tucked in their waist, so we put our hands up and left.

This is why you don't railfan in dangerous areas unless you can defend yourself... If I had a Legal Carry and Conceal, there would be some headline news for sure :roll: :roll:
Yeah, one dead railfan and shooters still at large...

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

Never had a problem like that.. Some advise when fanning in general is just mind your own business and don't look like your up to anything. That goes for anywhere, Deteoit, Ohio, Chicago ect. When I'm out railfanning everything gets put away in between trains, no matter where I am. The locals won't actually do anything unless you provoke something. Sure they may threaten you or whatever but that doesn't mean you will get shot. They are also a small percentage of the people that live down there. Most people in Detroit are good people (despite the rap the city gets), and won't bother you.

Don't let them discourage you, as last time we were at Delray (about 5 of us) some locals actually rolled down their windows and asked what we were doing, they we're intrested in what we were doing and thought it was cool.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

CSX_CO wrote:

Yeah, one dead railfan and shooters still at large...
You are correct. Not even Chuck Norris could defend against five guys with hand guns.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

Based on your posts I believe you are from Ohio and not familiar with the area of Southwest Detroit. Doing a bit of research and investigation before you go somewhere new is the first thing. Second, I have a strong feeling your group behaved in a way that brought unwanted attention to yourselves. I have been at Delray on average at least twice a month over the last 2 and a half years and have never had a problem with a local. Third, only stating Delray, MI is a bit generic in this case. The Southwest Detroit neighborhood of Delray extends east along Fort, St to the Ambassador Bridge so based on only saying Delray leads me to believe you were anywhere along the tracks in the hood. One would only assume you were at Delray Junction on Dearborn St.

Regardless, in areas of elevated crime one needs to be alert and aware of their surroundings and ready to run or flee in their vehicle if a confrontation ever occurs. I have a strong feeling your group went to Delray with a blind understanding of the neighborhood.

JANGAJONGA
Epic Fail B34 Master

Unread post by JANGAJONGA »

Never had a problem at Delray, or the neighborhood along the boat yard line, however I tend not to stay in one place for too long.

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

Just there around 2 pm today, ate my lunch and watched a few trains. NO problem. Lunch was good 8)

j32885
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by j32885 »

Since when there was a Delray, Michigan? Isn't Delray a SW Detroit Neighborhood? :?:

For all the times I've been there, I've never had any trouble. I usually prefer going there with company than being by myself. Usually at most I get are: some unwanted/dirty looks by passersby, or like drifter walking/biking "Hey would watching trains here? Think you could give me some money?"

Never any gang stuff going. At most on the wildside down there, I usually see what the locals call "Delray Derby" 2 cars going a high speeds down Dearborn St. over the crossings

These fellas you meet with firepower, must of thought you were from a rival gang or just a soft target to steal/threatening from.

CSXandNSRailfanner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXandNSRailfanner »

Well, I was there for about 2 hours and it was about 11pm.... So it's probably my own fault...

And to the person who said I'm from Ohio, I'm not. I go there often because Michigan railfanning is too slow and not worth a 5 hour wait for 2 trains.
Im from Northville MI

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Since your post were always about Ohio I assumed you were from there. Regardless, Delray is not a place to hang out after dark. Can't see much anyway when it comes to pictures. During the day I have spent hours there and had no problem. I always stay mobile between Delray, Ecorse Jct and YD to see everything moving in Southwest Detroit and not stay in the same spot.

Delray is the busiest spot in the state when it comes to amount of trains in a day.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

CSXandNSRailfanner wrote:Well, I was there for about 2 hours and it was about 11pm.... So it's probably my own fault...

And to the person who said I'm from Ohio, I'm not. I go there often because Michigan railfanning is too slow and not worth a 5 hour wait for 2 trains.
Im from Northville MI
That must've been one important train if your in Detroit during the dead of night. After living in Flint for a few years, no thanks...
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

I wouldn't be out at most "safe" places at 11pm.. you never know what you are going to see or who will be out.

And the fact that you were out at 11pm at Delray is an important part of your story, so you should have specified. All of what's been said will basically stand true, mind your own business and don't mess with people. As for being in a well know "bad neighborhood" at 11pm. That is defiantly on you, not smart at all. You standing in the middle of the night with maybe a tripod and a camera, probably looked like guns or something to this gang/ group.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

FIrst, like others have said, you picked a bad time to go there. Daytime is much safer. I've been in Delray during the day and never had a problem other than being watched by the railroad cops.

Second, from someone with a concealed carry license, is NEVER brag about it or use it other than in a life-threatening situation.

Not gonna say any more. Just know of what you speak before shooting off your mouth.
Norm

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

There was some gang alleged gang violence in my part of ypsi today. First time in 18 years. Does that mean I wont sit in my front yard after today? Not at all. Talkng with people who frequent delray Jct and people who work for the railroad in that area, this kind of stuff does happen. However it is rare. Your experience sounds like the exception, not the rule. And was compounded by a poor choice of fanning time.
That being said, I dont spend too much time sitting in one place around delray. I also would never dream of railfanning detroit alone, partly because I do not live there and dont know all of the social norms etc.
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Heck, doesn't matter what time of day your in The D, crime still happens. I wouldn't go by myself. I'd have someone with me at all times.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

MQT1223 wrote:Heck, doesn't matter what time of day your in The D, crime still happens. I wouldn't go by myself. I'd have someone with me at all times.
As with any town, the freaks come out at night :D
I've been told I have a pretty mean looking resting face, and am built fairly well so that helps. I see some fans who are just twigs carrying a 500 dollar bill around their neck... they are just asking to get mugged, especially if they dont look like they belong. Unfortunate part of the hobby is the expensive equiptment that has pretty fair resale value to a theif.
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

KenB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KenB »

Why were you there at 2300? Looking for trouble? Even the theves don't come out at night because its too dangerious.
Its a so-so place during the day but at night, no way, its BAD!

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

ConrailMan5 wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:Heck, doesn't matter what time of day your in The D, crime still happens. I wouldn't go by myself. I'd have someone with me at all times.
As with any town, the freaks come out at night :D
I've been told I have a pretty mean looking resting face, and am built fairly well so that helps. I see some fans who are just twigs carrying a 500 dollar bill around their neck... they are just asking to get mugged, especially if they dont look like they belong. Unfortunate part of the hobby is the expensive equiptment that has pretty fair resale value to a theif.
If you got the intimidation factor, use it! :D

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

I'm from Ohio and I've been to Delray Jct and never had a problem, but that was 10 years ago. I recall that day I was there and I was parked at that gravel spot where everyone goes to. The people I encountered while I there is like the people I see living here on the westside of Columbus. Junkies down the street sitting on the curb throwing glass bottles in the street while cars pull up to them and hand out drugbags like there candy. Drifters and people of all kinds walking down the street giving me funny looks. and a couple of Caucasian hoodrats racing up and down the street in their hoopties jamming to Insane Clown Posse and Eminem in their stereos and latinos on lowrider bicycles. Other than that, nobody messed with me and I was alone there for four hours in the middle of the day. In an environment like Delray you keep your mouth shut, mind your business, and do don't anything to draw attention to yourself.
Exit stage left

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Another thing with the neighborhood and many others in Detroit is their getting so abandoned and deserted that not as much even goes on anymore. The people and their troubles have went elsewhere.