Railyard Productions Photoshoot at GTW 7456

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Railyard Productions Photoshoot at GTW 7456

Unread post by MQT1223 »

I'm going, is anyone else going? A photoshoot using the 0-6-0 at Sidney, Michigan. Price is $30. Its gonna be a good one this year, a lot better then the 1223 shoot last year. This even got recognition by Trains Magazine. It will be fun! :mrgreen:
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Re: Railyard Productions Photoshoot at GTW 7456

Unread post by railohio »

It was a slow day for news.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

railohio wrote:It was a slow day for news.
Ya think? :lol:
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

robteed
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by robteed »

I'm going!
LOL

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

The Shoot is Today!

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Where is Sidney? Do it have a traffic light?
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

BerkshireKid
sofa king we todd

Unread post by BerkshireKid »

Pictures or it didn't happen! :mrgreen: 8)
Rule #1: BerkshireKid is God. Rule #2: God is always right. Rule #3: If you think you may actually be right refer to Rules #1 & #2.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

BerkshireKid wrote:Pictures or it didn't happen! :mrgreen: 8)
Patience... I'm working on that as we speak...

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

This sounded like a phenomenal waste of time.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

SD80MAC wrote:This sounded like a phenomenal waste of time.
Nope...

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Railyard Productions Canadian National 7456 photoshoot

Unread post by MQT1223 »

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Fixed the link for you, temp disabled the word filter until later this week.. why the need to PM me here, send me a chat message, and PM me on Facebook, no idea....
As for the photos...were they taken with a potato? Almost all of them look remotely in focus in the middle, but the edges are blurry...did you use a tripod?
Exif shows less than a second shutter time, higher ISO and low aperture... not how you take night photos of still objects.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

~Z~ wrote:Fixed the link for you, temp disabled the word filter until later this week.. why the need to PM me here, send me a chat message, and PM me on Facebook, no idea....
As for the photos...were they taken with a potato? Almost all of them look remotely in focus in the middle, but the edges are blurry...did you use a tripod?
Exif shows less than a second shutter time, higher ISO and low aperture... not how you take night photos of still objects.
Because the filter is stupid, and I'm not the world's greatest photographer. I haven't taken many night photos and I'm still learning. I went back and forth between a tripod and freehand.Why are you picking my photos apart I am not a professional. part and why must you filter what I type so I can only type MQT1223.

BerkshireKid
sofa king we todd

Dat editing thou!!!!! Thought the reason of these shoots of static engines were to make it look like it was alive and plausible that it was the steam era..... Never seen a stub track in front of a depot with a guy inspecting a locomotive.... Just saying. And yes... I have been a part of these shoots (both in, around and behind the scenes of them)
He's not "picking your photos apart".... He's telling you the truth.

Rule #1: BerkshireKid is God. Rule #2: God is always right. Rule #3: If you think you may actually be right refer to Rules #1 & #2.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Not everything can be perfect like you Oh Great Berkshirekid. Please don't talk to me I don't need your attitude today. Better yet why don't you contribute some money to lengthen the track and raise a locomotive that is sinking on the track its resting on.
Last edited by MQT1223 on Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Clay320
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Clay320 »

Never seen a stub track in front of a depot with a guy inspecting a locomotive
Its amazing what creative framing (and cropping) can do.

BerkshireKid
sofa king we todd

MQT1223 wrote:Not everything can be perfect like you Oh Great Berkshirekid. Please don't talk to me I don't need your attitude today. Better yet why don't you contribute some money to lengthen the track and raise a locomotive that is sinking on the track its resting on.
1. Don't talk to you? Well hate to break it you but you're the one that started the convo by putting your pictures up for all to see. Don't like critics dont post to a public forum and keep your pictures to yourself. Easy stuff!
2. Perfect like me? How often do you see me post pictures? Not often because my skills lack a certain touch but I know what to do and how to frame a picture to make it look like something plausible.
3. Contribute money? With this production last night that museum should have gotten enough user fees to cover the expansion of track or was it a "We'll shoot the engine and then give you a framed portrait of it for using your property" arrangement?

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

No offense here but the actor didn't look old enough to shave let alone run an engine, also tell him to roll around on the ground first to get a little bit of dirt on his brand new overalls.

Hell as soon as I get out of the car on operating days I am covered in dirt and oil.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

“Were they taken with a potato?” isn’t an objective critique.

Most of the images have non-static elements, the simulated steam and the person modeling. Set up on a tripod and start stretching the shutter speed out and you’ll pick up movement in both. There is nothing wrong shooting wide open. Event photographers do it every day. As the depth of field shallows the focus point becomes more critical. It takes some practice.
So what it’s a stub of track and a static display? A bit of practice in a situation like this he’s a step ahead should he have a chance to shoot something like the 1225 in a non-staged situation.

Bottom line PereMarquette 1223 if you enjoyed the evening don’t worry about remarks from the peanut gallery. If you came away from the evening with a couple photos you like then it’s all the better.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

PatAzo wrote:“Were they taken with a potato?” isn’t an objective critique.

Most of the images have non-static elements, the simulated steam and the person modeling. Set up on a tripod and start stretching the shutter speed out and you’ll pick up movement in both. There is nothing wrong shooting wide open. Event photographers do it every day. As the depth of field shallows the focus point becomes more critical. It takes some practice.
So what it’s a stub of track and a static display? A bit of practice in a situation like this he’s a step ahead should he have a chance to shoot something like the 1225 in a non-staged situation.

Bottom line PereMarquette 1223 if you enjoyed the evening don’t worry about remarks from the peanut gallery. If you came away from the evening with a couple photos you like then it’s all the better.
Thank you. I did enjoy the evening. So what if everything isn't perfect you cannot recreate the 1930's to a T... SousaKerry We were gonna have an older guy be our engineer but he was unable to attend so on a short notice this young guy (same age as me) from SRI stood in. I think he did excellent. He is definitely old enough to play a fireman which is what the majority of the shots consisted of... The potato part doesn't bother me, the trolls do. This group has very limited funds as is to display this little gem, heck $40,000 back in the 1980's from two big donors is what it took to get the locomotive here in the first place. BerkshireKid the museum maintains several old buildings, and this locomotive is one of many large items that combined with very few volunteers is very hard to care for. The folks here were great hosts and allowed us to do virtually whatever we wanted on the locomotive. I'd say we had more freedom then when we did the 1223 shoot last October. Heck we even had a depot to go along with our locomotive, which is not a common occurance anymore. I'm shocked that no one has critiqued the lack of boiler jacketing or rods on this engine. The jacketing is rotting away in the tender and the rods are beside and inside the warehouse section of the depot. Yes I want to share my photo's, but just because I put them out there does not mean that is an automatic invite for the trolls. I appreciate constructive criticism that I can build on, not criticism that I feel is degrading. I never called myself a professional photographer. I'm learning something new everyday in the world of still photography. I post my pictures here for people to see because I LIKE them. I get an attitude with people who can't appreciate them. It's my second photoshoot ever, I'm not even close to being good. We had a couple locals show up that were curious about the commotion and their faces lit up when the smoke generators combined with the lights on the locomotive were all on at night at the same time with our guy in the cab. At least two people in the shoot didn't even know this engine EXISTED until recently. It only made this hidden gem more known. I don't think this locomotive has any fame outside of the small community it sits in, so this photoshoot was very beneficial even if the masses didn't come pouring in.

Bottom line I enjoyed myself, and BerkshireKid missed out. :D

For the hater's, here's proof of the photoshoot happening and showing how much fun we had.

http://s1309.photobucket.com/user/PereM ... t=3&page=1