Huckleberry Genessee Road Crossing to Close

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Huckleberry Genessee Road Crossing to Close

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Sounds like starting after Labor Day the crossing will be closing down for much needed repairs. The county says the crossing is sinking and also reports that the crossing last had major work of this calibur done on it in 1974, which wouod definitely make the C&O the last to redo it completely.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Huckleberry Genessee Road Crossing to Close

Unread post by EWRice »

I would think the last time the crossing had major work is when it went to 3 foot.

BerkshireKid
sofa king we todd

Unread post by BerkshireKid »

Come on EW that'd make sense and as we know on this board posts that make sense aren't allowed or encouraged :lol: 8)

Can't remember off-hand.... When was it converted to 3' from 4' 8.5"?
Rule #1: BerkshireKid is God. Rule #2: God is always right. Rule #3: If you think you may actually be right refer to Rules #1 & #2.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

EWRice wrote:I would think the last time the crossing had major work is when it went to 3 foot.
I do not think that the amount of work that was required to place 3 foot wide rails was done back in the mid 1980's was to the scope that they are going to do now. I mean the standard gauge rails are STILL in the pavement surrounding the active rails. Sounds like the crossing is going to be torn down to the dirt.
BerkshireKid wrote:Come on EW that'd make sense and as we know on this board posts that make sense aren't allowed or encouraged :lol: 8)

Can't remember off-hand.... When was it converted to 3' from 4' 8.5"?
I believe the mid-1980's was when the conversion was done, although I am not sure on the year. Because my power was out for nearly 24 hours, I couldn't post a link to the news clip.

Here it is, and I quoted directly out of the video.

1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Clay320
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Clay320 »

Good to see work being done on the Huck, one of my favorite trains in the area. The train and the village have always had a bit more of a "real" feel to it than Greenfield Village and the Weiser Railroad.

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

The crossing was converted in the mid-1970s. The village and the railroad served as the Bicentennial project for Genesee County. By circa 1972, the C&O did not operate the branch past Coldwater Rd.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Steve B wrote:The crossing was converted in the mid-1970s. The village and the railroad served as the Bicentennial project for Genesee County. By circa 1972, the C&O did not operate the branch past Coldwater Rd.
That's interesting, what did the C&O still serve at the time or was the track just for storage? The year of 1974 sounds pretty accurate in the video from the park official then. Boy it sure would've been weird had the C&O and Huck co-operated the track for a time. Was their any reason why 3 ft. gauge was chosen instead of rehabbing the standard gauge?

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Because at the time it was much easier to acquire and maintain narrow gauge equipment than standard gauge.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

Possibly the C&O served the gasoline terminal on the east side of N. Dort, just n. of where the branch crossed. Somewhere I read that the stub was used for storage.

R.E.A.P.E.R.
Railroadfan...fan

Huckleberry/Genesee road crossing repair.

Unread post by R.E.A.P.E.R. »

And folks are not happy about the closure...
Court request filed to delay closure of Genesee Road for railroad work
http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.s ... t_act.html
Last edited by R.E.A.P.E.R. on Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Re: Huckleberry/Genesee road crossing repair.

Unread post by MQT1223 »

R.E.A.P.E.R. wrote:Motorists in one Mid-Michigan community can expect some headaches right after Labor Day. That's when a repair project will close a busy road in Genesee Township. It's going to be where the Huckleberry Railroad crosses Genesee Road....

http://www.abc12.com/home/headlines/Rai ... 44161.html

And folks are not happy...
Court request filed to delay closure of Genesee Road for railroad work
http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.s ... t_act.html
Jeez... they can't drive a few miles around the railroad? Pity...