West Side Detroit CSX Operations

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
MiddleMI
Railroadfan...fan

West Side Detroit CSX Operations

Unread post by MiddleMI »

Quick question, but what is the name of the CSX subdivision east out of Oak Yard? Is it simply just a known as a branch of the CSX Detroit Subdivision? There isn't much traffic out this way, is there? It doesn't even interchange with Conrail's Union Branch at the Fullerton Wye, anymore. Anyway, just interested in the history of the branch (as it ever a mainline?) now that it no longer interchanges with the Conrail Union Branch or makes it down to West Detroit. If it predates the wind down of passenger service, it looks like it may have a great bypass for passenger trains to the northwest of Delray and the other junctions in the southwest.

It appears the line is still intact all the way down to just after a bridge over the Ford Freeway (I-94) and that there is a fairly modern industrial area along this part of it south of Tireman, though, I can't tell how many of the businesses use the line.

GTW6401
how bout no

Re: West Side Detroit CSX Operations

Unread post by GTW6401 »

There isn't much traffic out this way, is there?
Trains operate twice a week. The main customers are Kimmel Scrap Iron and Metal and Coca-Cola, along with a few minor customers that only get one car per spot and that is very sporadically.
It doesn't even interchange with Conrail's Union Branch at the Fullerton Wye, anymore. Anyway, just interested in the history of the branch (as it ever a mainline?) now that it no longer interchanges with the Conrail Union Branch or makes it down to West Detroit
Interchange between CSX and Shared Assets is done at Livernois Yard. Conrail operates a local out of Livernois to spot cars on this line, which also has a few remaining customers, mostly located south of Plymouth Road.
It appears the line is still intact all the way down to just after a bridge over the Ford Freeway (I-94) and that there is a fairly modern industrial area along this part of it south of Tireman, though, I can't tell how many of the businesses use the line.
The tracks end a couple city streets south of I-94. The crew uses this portion of the tracks just to run around their train for the return trip to Oak Yard after they work at Coca-Cola.
If it predates the wind down of passenger service, it looks like it may have a great bypass for passenger trains to the northwest of Delray and the other junctions in the southwest.
This was the original Pere Marquette family mainline into Detroit. The line was first constructed in 1871 by the Detroit, Howell & Lansing, and connected with Michigan Central at West Detroit, and they used the MC depot downtown.

The line that runs between Oak and Delray Junction was constructed in the 1890s, and passenger trains began running to FSUD during this period.

MiddleMI
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks. But, what is the name of this branch? Is it simply the Detroit Division branch line or does it have a formal name? Tried to send you a message, but I see you've disabled those.

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

Its the West Detroit Branch.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

To fill in some gaps, the track is called the West Detroit Branch. CSX runs down there on Tuesdays and Fridays. The most significant point of interest is the stop signs controlling Fullerton Jct where it crosses Conrail's Terminal West Branch.

MiddleMI
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks, you two. BTW, where is the Coca Cola plant down that way? All I've been able to find are some facilities on Conrail's Union Branch. They seem to be the major customer in this territory from what I can gather.

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

Coca-Cola is at 5981 West Warren Avenue.

ogauge47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ogauge47 »

Fullerton Junction, where the CSX West Detroit crosses Conrail Terminal West

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

I drove by Oak Yard five days a week for 14 years beginning around 1993. Back then, brick was the highest volume commodity with upward to 10ish cars per week. Lumber and paper, along with syrup (for Coke) was also regular. For a while coiled steel was common too. Smaller deliveries of chemicals, generator oil, casting sand (bagged), wood poles, and even tanks appeared.
GTW6401 wrote:Trains operate twice a week. The main customers are Kimmel Scrap Iron and Metal and Coca-Cola, along with a few minor customers that only get one car per spot and that is very sporadically.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Fullerton Junction is a pretty interesting place when it comes to Railroad History in Detroit. Not a hot spot, per se, but very interesting.

Is the brickyard closed down that was such a good customer 10 years ago?

The mainline down to east Dearborn and to Delray was built to remove much traffic from the congestion of growing Detroit neighborhoods on the near west side and dozens of grade crossings, it tied the PM into Fort Street Union Depot via Delray and would later be a boon for the PM as Ford built the massive Rouge Plant just to the west. With grade separation for several miles from Warren to Fort Street completed in the 20s, it was a fairly good route for passenger into the city.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

I believe the major brick yard is closed as is the smaller brick yard, both lumber companies and whoever was getting paper. The other businesses switched to trucks.
GP30M4216 wrote:Is the brickyard closed down that was such a good customer 10 years ago?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

Here is a few various photos of the West Detroit Branch.

Switching at Kimmel.

Returning to Oak Yard. This is from the pedestrian overpass along I-96 just west of Greenfield Road.

Eastbound from Oak Yard as they pass over I-96 near Hubbell Avenue.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

GTW6401 - Would you happen to have a guestimate how many cars Coke and Kimmel ship respectively?

MiddleMI
Railroadfan...fan

Another kind of technical question, but which of the two refer to the yard as Oak? Is it CSX who refers to their part as Oak and CP simply as Detroit?

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

MiddleMI wrote:Another kind of technical question, but which of the two refer to the yard as Oak? Is it CSX who refers to their part as Oak and CP simply as Detroit?
CP's website calls it the Detroit Intermodal Terminal. Its Oak Yard on CSX.

wagnew0923
Railroadfan...fan

For you Detroit Fans out there

Unread post by wagnew0923 »

There is a cross track along Fullerton Rd in Detroit, it is between Hubble and Schafer. Does that cross track see any traffic at all. Especially North or East bound. Does anyone have any pictures of traffic on those lines or History of the line. I know it was part of the Detroit Industrial Railroad, but that is it.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Re: For you Detroit Fans out there

East/West is CSX West Detroit Branch. The local runs from Oak Yard deeper into the city a during morning hours on Tuesdays and Fridays. This was C&Os original line to Detroit.

North/South is Conrail's Terminal West. Switched as needed by Livernois job LV-4 on first shift.

The diamond is Fullerton Jct. Protected by Stop Signs.

ImageCSX 2675 - Fullerton Jct by tcamp7837, on Flickr

ImageCSX 2686 - Fullerton Jct by tcamp7837, on Flickr

ImageA Junction in the hood by tcamp7837, on Flickr

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

CSX's West Detroit Branch is switched on T & F. It's two primary customers are the Coca Cola plant and the metal scrap yard.

I'm not sure about CR's Terminal West frequency of service. It's primary customer used to be a chemical plant that received 13 cars a month. I don't know who it is anymore.

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GrandTrunkFan »

I was wondering if the old NYC boxcar was still there
Nick

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Still there, and so is the B&O one beside it. Both rusting away.

ImageNYC Boxcar - Detroit, MI by tcamp7837, on Flickr