Three Days in a row for action in Clare.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
TrainNut85
Train Chaser

Three Days in a row for action in Clare.

Unread post by TrainNut85 »

For three days in a row, both trains have met in Clare during the daytime. This past Wednesday the southbound was first to show up with #389 pullin about a half dozen cars. Half hour later the northbound shows up with #391 and #393, which wasn't running, with a dozen and a half cars. Both crews exchanged trains even engines, dropped off 4 bay hoppers on the siding, then the guys from Cadillac took #391 with cars back with them, while the guys from Owosso hooked up #389 to #393 and headed back south. Yesterday the northbound showed up first, the southbound got delayed due to bein sent to Yuma for sand. The northbound dropped off 7 4 bay hoppers, unhooked #393 from their train, sent #389 solo, then hooked #393 back up with cars brought up from Owosso that were heading to Cadillac. They sat for over a half hour until the southbound showed up with #391 and 11 cars behind it. #389 hooked up to the front of #391 and the guys from Owosso headed back south while the guys from Cadillac headed back with #393 with cars bein sent to Cadillac. But earlier today was a total surprise, the southbound first showed up around 2 pm with a different engine in the lead, #385. They then pulled out a few cars from the Seiter Bros. siding, preceded to the other hoppers dropped off in the previous days, then ventured to switch out Poly Pavillion. An hour later, the northbound shows up but the tracks were blocked due to the switching goin on, the crew got out for some fresh air so I manage to get a conversation started with them, since I already know them. Both crews weren't too happy after gettin screwy schedules, but this is typical when u work for a railroad I guess. Both trains didn't head out until around 6, The guys from Cadillac took #392 with them along with 13 cars, while #385 and #393 took 70 cars with them, 3/4 from Cadillac, 1/4 from the Pavillion. This is the most action I've seen in a while, plus I have additional information I learned about, which is another siding bein put in at the Clare yard, due to increase business by Northern Logistics. Hopefully they continue the meets in Clare, I really enjoyed the action.

SDavey
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by SDavey »

You lucked out for sure. I went to CMU for 2 1/2 years and I was only able to take one picture of them operating through Mount Pleasant. Something always prevented me from seeing them in the daylight hours. I would either be in class or not have my camera with me when I would hear them whistling for the crossings at Preston or Broomfield. I’ll take those GP35’s over a boring professor any day of the week.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks NSfan85. Keep posting. If possible, add car info (types, numbers, etc.). Don't worry if you can't.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Railnut
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by Railnut »

Wow, regular daylight trains at Clare..and the trains met! The only daylight TSBY action I saw while up there was the 392 (IIRC) coming up, light from Owosso, to grab the northbounds cars after the 2648 derailed on the old team track in the yard. I did catch both trains just before we left Clare for the second to last trip up there to "wrap" the depot.
great report, any pic's??
Dave C