Railfanning the past few days

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
LSRC
Flat River Rat

Railfanning the past few days

Unread post by LSRC »

1/1/07: I got wind that Lake State Railway 181 was in town so I raced to the yard before the Michigan game started. The 181 was coupled behind the 381. The 698 and 469 were on the "jack track", with the 181 and 381 behind them. The 646 and 975 were coupled to the flatcar like they usually are.
Loved the sky here.

1/2/07 I stopped by the yard around noon to try to find the 181. Neither the 181 nor the 381 were in sight. Instead the 381 was tied on to that nights train.

1/3/07 The sky was shining blue, so I raced down to the yard. Much to my displeasure, nothing was active, even when the light was so great. I did note that there were 2 hoppers (separated) on the siding (most likely bad ordered). There were also 3 on the old Fletcher Branch.

1/5/06 I had some spare time, so I decided to railfan. Since it was already two, I decided to hit Lafarge. Lafarge SW1200 020 was coupled to a string of flyash being unloaded.
I also found out how Lafarge cleans their tractors.
I was driving down the road that parallels the yard, heading for the roundhouse, when I see a headlight. I immediatly turn around and head back to the bridge over the Lafarge River. This is a river that drains water out of quarry and into Lake Huron. It has recently been found contaminated, and has been in the process of purification for a few months now.
I head back to Lafarge and catch it spotting flyash cars by the 020.
I caught it one more time pulling across Quarry Acess Road #2.

1/6/06 I got up early and couldn't fall back asleep, so I ate a quick breakfast and decided to go over to the yard to see if I train 327a had come in. No signs that the train had come in, although the 3563 was spotted with the 698 and 469. Sitting around the house when I hear a horn. I grab my camera (but forgot my gloves) and rushed out of the door. Train 327a pulled in to Alpena at 11:00 (very late) with the following consist:
M420W 3500
C425M 281
63 cars
Caught then going over the Thunder Bay River Bridge.
I then drove over to the drainage river bridge again as they uncoupled from their train, and headed to Lafarge.
They then went to work Lafarge.
They then went back to the yard and dropped off the flyash cars,
backed down the Roger City Wye,
pulled past the 3563,
and was tied up in the roundhouse for the weekend.

By this time, my hand were so cold that I could barely turn my camera off. :roll:

Video: http://www.dailymotion.com/LAKESTATE92/ ... -the-river

More to come later.

LSRC

markvz
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by markvz »

LSRC,

Thank you for the pictures. I especially liked the ones on the bridge near LaFarge. I wish I had the time to loiter around Alpena and wait for things like you have. Great work with the pictures.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Notice how some of the curved tracks around Lafarge are actually just straight sections that change angles each rail?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

LSRC
Flat River Rat

Unread post by LSRC »

Yes, the tracks are bad at Lafarge. I suppose some of that has to do with the fact that one of the tracks was the old D&M branch to Rockport. By now you have probably guessed that the D&M was better at keeping their Alcos in top noch condition than their "expansive" track repair team was at keeping the tracks top noch. :roll: Seeing as those tracks are either 80 or 90 pound rail, with pretty bad ties...well, you get the idea.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Nice photos. Good to see the old C425M's working, also the only Alco's still running regualr service for a shortline....