Western Electric Plant on the Plymouth Sub finds new life

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
MiddleMI
Railroadfan...fan

Western Electric Plant on the Plymouth Sub finds new life

Unread post by MiddleMI »

While there is no mention of rail involved, here, the former Western Electric factory on Sheldon a few blocks west of the Plymouth Diamond is getting new life as an auto glass factory and logistics plant according to the Detroit Free Press. Fuyao Group supplies a lot of companies, but especially the Big Three. They are hoping to have nearly a thousand workers here (spead across shifts, of course) in three years.

My question is if given the business they are in, would it be unlikely for them to ship by rail even though they are selling this as a logistics center? Is the spur that use to serve this plant still there? I can't really tell by looking at aerials of the site. Even if there isn't, there is certainly the possibility of it being hooked back in.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: Western Electric Plant on the Plymouth Sub finds new lif

Unread post by Saturnalia »

My hunch, looking at this earlier, is that they'll get stuff from Dayton by truck, and China via intermodal container. So probably no direct rail service. Intermodal to Chicago or maybe even Detroit, perhaps.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

MiddleMI wrote:Is the spur that use to serve this plant still there? I can't really tell by looking at aerials of the site. Even if there isn't, there is certainly the possibility of it being hooked back in.
It has been disconnected for at least the 20 years I have lived here. I don't think it would be difficult to reconnect if need be though. It is only about 50 feet.
Before Fuyao Group moved in a few weeks ago the property was for sale for over 10 years and the sign said "possible rail service".

I took photos of what it looks like now.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

This is the old Highland Appliance place. I don't recall them ever using rail service.
Michael wrote:
MiddleMI wrote:Is the spur that use to serve this plant still there? I can't really tell by looking at aerials of the site. Even if there isn't, there is certainly the possibility of it being hooked back in.
It has been disconnected for at least the 20 years I have lived here. I don't think it would be difficult to reconnect if need be though. It is only about 50 feet.
Before Fuyao Group moved in a few weeks ago the property was for sale for over 10 years and the sign said "possible rail service".
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

I'd agree, and outbound product will be line sequenced and delivered JIT by truck to the customer's assembly plants.

Saturnalia wrote:My hunch, looking at this earlier, is that they'll get stuff from Dayton by truck, and China via intermodal container. So probably no direct rail service. Intermodal to Chicago or maybe even Detroit, perhaps.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

If they are indeed going to manufacture glass there then raw materials by rail would be the way to go, but if they are just doing final assembly and installation prep then no rail.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

There's a chance they could use rail service because I read elsewhere that this plant is the supplier to other facilties for the "Big 3" outside of Michigan. Bay Logistics south of town does a similar distribution of products to GM plants and receives various boxcars on a regular basis. They could ship by rail the materials for the clips and trim pieces, plus I've read finished glass products are better to ship by rail with a less likiehood of being damaged in transit vs. trucks. Regarding the track itself, it's only missing 30-50ft and a switch connecting to the main line. If CSX were to switch this plant, it's extremely likely Y107 will be doing that as they switch PCA across the street. If not, most likely D738 or D739.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I haven't seen any rail cars there in a while and with the aluminum ingot business down to a trickle I doubt we will
Racer wrote:Bay Logistics south of town does a similar distribution of products to GM plants and receives various boxcars on a regular basis.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Don't forget that was the corporate office for Office Depot for a few years too. I don't see it happening. Plenty of other places along the Detroit Sub that are much easier to move into for "rail service". Or they might forward their rail business to someone who already has a spur such as WF Whelan, or the like and "transload" their products. I do wonder if Guardian Glass (auto glass maker on the Lincoln Secondary) will see any added business or if it's competition?

Racer

Unread post by Racer »

AARR wrote:I haven't seen any rail cars there in a while and with the aluminum ingot business down to a trickle I doubt we will
Racer wrote:Bay Logistics south of town does a similar distribution of products to GM plants and receives various boxcars on a regular basis.
There was a CSX boxcar at Bay Logistics last week. On a typical week I've been seeing 2-4 boxcars at Bay. Either CSX or CN-family related boxcars and this is recent.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

That's good news! What sorts of box cars? 50's? 60's? Hi-cubes?
Racer wrote:
AARR wrote:I haven't seen any rail cars there in a while and with the aluminum ingot business down to a trickle I doubt we will
There was a CSX boxcar at Bay Logistics last week. On a typical week I've been seeing 2-4 boxcars at Bay. Either CSX or CN-family related boxcars and this is recent.

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

The plan can change in the future but as of now there are no plans to use rail at Fuyao Glass in Plymouth according the the Plymouth Planning Commision meeting.
http://www.ci.plymouth.mi.us/AgendaCent ... 132016-717
It looks like the new Plymouth site will be doing what the current Orion Township plant is doing which is near the GM plant but does not use rail.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

I've read finished glass products are better to ship by rail with a less likiehood of being damaged in transit vs. trucks.

Yup until some jagoff runs the cars through a hump yard then it all turns to gravel
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

I'd also have my doubts with that, I used to have to deal with truck driveline parts that were going to Freightliner's Portland (OR) truck plant via intermodal - and they had to have extra bracing so they'd stay put in the trailer. Containers may be more "stable" in a train though.
SousaKerry wrote:
I've read finished glass products are better to ship by rail with a less likiehood of being damaged in transit vs. trucks.

Yup until some jagoff runs the cars through a hump yard then it all turns to gravel

MiddleMI
Railroadfan...fan

Michael wrote:The plan can change in the future but as of now there are no plans to use rail at Fuyao Glass in Plymouth according the the Plymouth Planning Commision meeting.
http://www.ci.plymouth.mi.us/AgendaCent ... 132016-717
It looks like the new Plymouth site will be doing what the current Orion Township plant is doing which is near the GM plant but does not use rail.
They'll be doing what the current Oreion plant does, because this is, in fact, a replacement.consolidation of the Orion plant and their Pontiac storage warehouse. Sounds like they do almost everything sort of the intial production of the glass. It gets shipped to them semi-finished.

Thanks for that planning commission meeting minutes. Yeah, they specifically mention semi-trucks, so this won't be using the rail line.

Racer

Unread post by Racer »

AARR wrote:That's good news! What sorts of box cars? 50's? 60's? Hi-cubes?

A mixture of 50ft and hi-cube boxcars.

Regarding Orion Assembly: is there any danger of Lake Orion Assembly closing completely in the future?

MiddleMI
Railroadfan...fan

Racer wrote:Regarding Orion Assembly: is there any danger of Lake Orion Assembly closing completely in the future?
Are you asking about closure rumors specifically and recently, like for how long the union has negoitated a contract? I haven't. But, I mean, if you're asking just generally I'm sure you know that depending how far into the future you're asking any plant is in danger of closing.

CR900945
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CR900945 »

It is Fuyao Automotive North America, Inc. According to Crain's Detroit Business, the plant will be used for research and development and the "final processing of automotive glass" from its factories in Ohio and Canada. No manufacturing of glass will take place here. Thus, with no raw materials, it is unlikely rail will be used for anything inbound. Outbound finished glass would most likely be trucked to auto assembly locations. Price tag: $70 Million.