Monroe railfanning

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Monroe railfanning

Unread post by CSXBOY »

So on Christmas break I might do a Monroe day trip with my mom. I plan to get down there for 383 and 332 and 288 which is 9:00 am to 11:00 am. Is there still a CN local from Toledo on the Shoreline sub? Should I go to the CSX line after M383 and 332 cleared. And what locals go between Airline Yard and Monroe? I also plan to go back to the line to catch 331 and 31M and go back to the CSX line and lastly catch M391 on the way back to the interstate

TrainStuff13
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Monroe railfanning

Unread post by TrainStuff13 »

I haven't seen the CN local the last few times I've been there. But the NS local does still run and usually has a NW caboose. I think the symbol is B52 or B54, but I'm not sure. The best time for CSX is probably the early afternoon. Hope that helps.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Don't overestimate your ability to switch between the four lines in the manner you wish to. It isn't all that easy to keep track of movements on all the lines and be able to navigate to and from them all.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

Too much planning. Your time is a good time to be there in the morning for NS. B20 runs out of Warner Yard and south on Detroit Line #1 Main with N&W Caboose. They are on duty on weekday afternoons. CN Local from Flat Rock to Toledo was 506. Not sure if still running anymore.

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

So be trackside on the CN and NS in the morning and be trackside on CSX in the early afternoon? how likely is it to see a C783?

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JStryker722 »

Instead of trying to go between CN,NS,and CSX in Monroe,I suggest going to Oak St. In Wyandotte where there is parking and both the CN and NS mainlines are all next to each other with good line-of-sight in both directions. 2 out of 3 railroads within viewing distance is better than wasting gas hoping to bounce between 3 lines,just my 2 cents. And if there is a Dry spell in trains long enough,you can get ice cream from Stroh's Ice Cream or go to Bishop Park for some boating action lol.
My Wife says my first love is trains..anint that the truth! Lol :D

Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Fred »

Yes, Wyandotte has more eateries including Sander's Ice Cream, Wendy's, Mickey D's, Nana's Kitchen, & Jimmy John's to name a few. All within minutes from being trackside. More CN action there than in Monroe, NS action about the same. However, the CSXT isn't close by.

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

Yes I Been to Wyandotte like 7 times since June and I changed my mind a friend of mine is going to Vickers sometime after Christmas. So I would like to meet up with him. I would like coordinates from google maps since its my first time going. Heard traffic is very heavy through there

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

CSXBOY wrote:Yes I Been to Wyandotte like 7 times since June and I changed my mind a friend of mine is going to Vickers sometime after Christmas. So I would like to meet up with him. I would like coordinates from google maps since its my first time going. Heard traffic is very heavy through there
A google search for "Vickers Junction Toledo" will yield all of the starting info you need.

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jimnorthwood »

Vickers is in Northwood. Good train watching opportunities, not so much for photography except from the new bridges. Don't trespass and don't even think about going to the diamond itself. There is at least one thread, probably more, here containing much detail about Vickers.

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

Years before 9-11 i used to go right down to the diamonds after that forget it. That used to be a heck of a spot carloads of railfans would hang out right at the diamonds i sure miss those days.

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jimnorthwood »

Yes, same here Penn Central. Discounting that Vickers is a good watching spot again. With the truncation of "old" Wales road in both the east and west direction and Drouillard Rd on the south, there is no need to trespass anyway. There are plenty of places to park in that area where the two roads used to cross. There are even a couple of pull outs. Just stay out of the way of the auto detailing business and you won't have any issues. McDonald's, etc on Woodville Road for food and facilities :)

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

Not sure the need to micromanage a trip to Monroe – or anywhere. After a couple visits you'll learn what radio cues to listen for to find trains around town and pick up on traffic patterns.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

I know this is off topic but when 9-11 happened did the railroad security went up?

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

CSXBOY wrote:I know this is off topic but when 9-11 happened did the railroad security went up?
Yes, in some places more than others.

warder
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by warder »

Speaking of Monroe...Looks like CN and NS will get in on switching the Port.

http://www.toledoblade.com/local/2016/1 ... -port.html

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Not too long ago (5-10 years IIRC) CN delivered a lot of liquid asphalt to the tank farm in Monroe. The small yard would be full of tank cars.
warder wrote:Speaking of Monroe...Looks like CN and NS will get in on switching the Port.

PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

AARR wrote:Not too long ago (5-10 years IIRC) CN delivered a lot of liquid asphalt to the tank farm in Monroe. The small yard would be full of tank cars.
warder wrote:Speaking of Monroe...Looks like CN and NS will get in on switching the Port.

Both the NS and CN serve the Thompson McCully plant in Monroe.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

When I'm in Wyandotte, I listen to CN, NS, and CSX. If you're paying attention, you can usually hear potential traffic on the Lincoln Secondary, and a quick run up Northline Rd to Allen road will catch the CSX trains. That said, you might miss something at Oak street while you're gone.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

So I went to Vickers on Friday Great place had lots of fun 2 CSX trains, 1 CN train, plus tons of NS trains