First trip to Judd!

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
danted23
Railroadfan...fan

First trip to Judd!

Unread post by danted23 »

I took my camera down to Judd St. to check out some action, it looked pretty dead but saw a couple of engines at least.

Immediately near the engine house I noticed BNSF (SD70ACe -#9396) and next to it was CSX #494. Also sitting idle was a yellow CSX #9119 (drone?). To the west end of the yard I saw a pair of CSX's (#2573 on one) headed to the far west end out of sight.

Does anyone have any info about these engines? Is CSX #9119 in fact a drone? How does foreign power like the BNSF get up into these parts? I thought the BNSF line stops in Chicago but I have seen quite a few pics of BNSF in Michigan. I'm assuming that CSX #2573 is just used for "yard jobs"?

I'm just getting familiar with the trains in the area and was curious.

Thanks in advance!

SD40-2
Canada Eh!

Unread post by SD40-2 »

CSXT 9119 is the last ex-MOW Pumpkin (now a RCPHE4)

danted23
Railroadfan...fan

Yep, that's it!

Thanks!

That's it alright. I just did some more research and it looks like that BNSF unit is part of N903 (coal for Olive).

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Welcome to the board Danted. I live in GR myself, decently familiar with local train action. If you have any questions, feel free to post and I'm sure someone can help you out with questions that you may have.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

danted23
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks Zack!

This site is great, I've already learned a TON from previous posts.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

A few of the coal trains that run through GR every week have BNSF power on them.

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Unread post by Scooterb »

Welcome aboard Danted.

TrainNut85
Train Chaser

Unread post by TrainNut85 »

I remember when I first got to go to Judd St.(last November), my objective was to see the CSX drone. 15 minutes after me and the friend I went with to GR, I got to see it. Pretty interesting action that goes on there, plus I got to see the local head out. Seeing a caboose on the end was a major plus. If i'm correct it was D708, but if i'm not, can someone give me the correct local train designation?

danted23
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks guys...

Yeah, I've read about the Chessie drone on this site so it was pretty cool to see it the first time I went to the yard.

-Dante

TrainNut85
Train Chaser

Unread post by TrainNut85 »

Yea it was interesting seeing a few old power around. I think I remember seeing the pumpkin CSX loco, plus one of their old GEs, which i think was an old B23-7.

csxt4617
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by csxt4617 »

In case it's not obvious, the 9119 (and the Chessie 9120, as well as the GE's, which are probably ex-B36-7's) are remote control units. They have no engine (or if they do, it's not active). They only have remote control equipment, so they can be MU'd to a regular non-RC engine, and then the regular engine can be controlled via an RC beltpack.