Coal Trains in Michigan

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Coal Trains in Michigan

Unread post by chapmaja »

With the talk of the South Bend and Flint Subs, as well as other discussions I was wondering something. Which power plants in the state still get coal by rail?

Does Belle River get coal from CSX, or is that only via ships? I thought one plant that way got coal, but with recent closures I don't know if CSX still runs any coal down the PH&D branch anymore.

Port Sheldon still gets coal for the next couple years. Does Monroe still get coal, or is that plant closed now? What about anything downriver? I think Trenton is closed now as are the River Rouge and Rouge plant coal power plants.

Recently closed are the Lansing plants and the plants the HESR / LSRC used to serve in Exxesville.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Coal Trains in Michigan

Unread post by AARR »

Only DTE Monroe (NS), CE Port Sheldon (CSX) and LBWL in Lansing (CN) still receive coal although all three are slated for closing or conversion soon if they haven't already.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

AARR wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:09 pm
…and LBWL in Lansing (CN) still receive coal although all three are slated for closing or conversion soon if they haven't already.
Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but if I remember correctly, LBWL no longer gets coal trains. They shipped the last train out sometime last year I think unless I’m thinking of another power plant.
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

Manistique
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Manistique »

Saint Clair was receiving coal by ship all summer long. Unless they are closing this winter (which, by the way, I thought they were supposed to be closed by now) I imagine they will be getting coal by CSX rail.

Andy24
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Andy24 »

I am pretty sure the coal plant in West Olive, Mi is slated to be decommissioned by 2025 per news report that was released a few months ago
Average railfan reporter on Grand Rapids Sub, Plymouth Sub, and Area Short Lines Railroads.

Follow my channel for more: https://www.youtube.com/@ATARP24

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Manistique wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:43 pm
Saint Clair was receiving coal by ship all summer long. Unless they are closing this winter (which, by the way, I thought they were supposed to be closed by now) I imagine they will be getting coal by CSX rail.
What routing is the coal taking? There is another board that reported when the coal was scheduled to arrive and I thought they said they received theri last shipment a while back.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

St. Clair closed in 2022 as DTE opened the Blue Water Energy Center.

They were burning a normal blend of 85% western coal and 15% eastern coal.

CSX brought in the eastern coal, but they used very little of it at the end.

Belle River has been using a combination of western coal and natural gas. It's going to natural gas by 2026.

Midwest Energy has coal deliveries scheduled out for Belle River and Monroe this month and in December.

The crew of the MV Paul R. Tregurtha have a good amount of work to go before the winter layup.

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

AARR wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:09 pm
Only DTE Monroe (NS), CE Port Sheldon (CSX) and LBWL in Lansing (CN) still receive coal although all three are slated for closing or conversion soon if they haven't already.
Erickson, the Lansing area's last coal power plant, shut down on 11/27/22. Consumers' J.H. Campbell Plant will close in 2025. DTE's Monroe Plant will retire units 3 & 4 by 2028, and units 1 & 2 by 2032.

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

Yes, Trenton no longer receives coal, the last train to show up there was earlier this year. I think Late April or early May.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Consumer’s has since back-pedaled a bit on that 2025 date, FWIW.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

SD80MAC wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:33 pm
Source?

CSXT8390
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXT8390 »

SD80MAC wrote:
I’ll second this. Every time I’m out at the JHC plant, if I talk to a fuel handler or one of their dumper crews, they just laugh when you mention 2025.

Consumers would have to generate X power in order for the state to allow them to shut the plant down, and they don’t have the infrastructure to do so yet, and likely won’t before 2025. The only viable way they’ll have the energy is if Palisades comes online ahead of their refuel schedule and either Consumers buys power directly from the new operator or they come to a contracted agreement with Wolverine Power to tie in to their system and chug power from them.
My opinions and statements are my own personal views and do not represent those of my employer or any other employee associated with my employer unless specifically stated as such.

kd_1014
Mike

Unread post by kd_1014 »

Steve B wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:55 pm
SD80MAC wrote:
Source?
Trust me bro

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

Don't forget, there is an ongoing court battle between Consumers and Wolverine Power Cooperative over the shutdown of the plant. The outcome of the court case may play a factor in when the plant actually ceases to operate.